Author Topic: Getting My First Dog... Breed Selection?  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Miranda1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Getting My First Dog... Breed Selection?
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:18:00 am »
Hello,

This is my first post

I’m in the process of choosing a dog breed that suits me. I have been doing research on this for quite some time and seem to find good things about all of them and I can’t settle on one...haha! One thing I have decided is that I want a larger dog due to my active life style.

A little about me… I have been planning to get a dog after graduation (college) for over a year. I will be living alone for the first time, I have always had roommates. I’m a little worried about this and would like a dog for company and protection. I am also pretty active; I love to jog and bike and would like a dog that would enjoy these activities as well. I also have horses, and the dog would often accompany me to the barn. However, I don’t want a dog that will bounce off the walls 24-7, due to the fact I will be living in a medium size apartment. I also travel to and from my home to my parents home and would like a dog that would be comfortable with a little traveling and who wants to go where I go and be with me in general. One more thing I’m sorry this is getting long… I want a dog that is capable of being obedience trained and acting reasonably mannerly. I would hate for my dog to annoy other people. I have full intentions of attending obedience and training classes with my new dog, regardless if it is a puppy or an adult.   

I have never owned my own dog but I grew up with Dobermans as our family dogs. 
The breeds that I have narrowed it down to are – Giant Schnauzer, Doberman, German Shepard, Standard poodle, and I’m open to others suggestions as well. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! I look forward to hearing what you have to say! 

Such a dilemma!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:20:55 am by Miranda1 »

Offline Morweena

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Getting My First Dog... Breed Selection?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:05:06 pm »
Hmm
I got really lucky with my dog choice and it was weighed heavily by my admiration of the so called "strong willed, independant type" breeds
But being a first time owner I lucked into a confident but not overly challenging mutt.
Good thing too, I am sure I would have been over my head with a full mal or bulmastiff that was a "willful" rep of their breed

I'ld recomend you read the IKAC breed standards and see how they measure up the dogs you like with your lifestyle. What is it about the dog makes them suggest no apartments of not for the first time owner.
Sounds like a shepard mix might be idea for you

Don't rule out a medium sized dog, as they have a lot of energy. Some of the bigger guys just aren't built for being as active as you might like.
Ruby is blessed with a cat like metabolism - "run, play, eat, snuggle up where  I can see mom and SLEEP, then sleep some more and some more. Then I'm good for another long walk, hello? mom? ok I'll go back to sleep, sheesh"
Ruby - bullmastiff/malamute

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:53:41 pm »
I agree that the giant schnauzer is generally not a breed for a first time dog owner and they have high grooming needs also.  A standard poodle is a delightful breed and if kept in a puppy clip has an easy to maintain coat- of course you need to go to the groomer for the puppy clips!  Another thing to consider is puppyhood- puppies bounce off the walls and demand a LOT of attention.  One thing to consider is getting an older pup or a young adult.  Puppyhood is not for the faint of heart!

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 04:29:20 am »
I would also check with your apartment complex you are planning to rent. My company buys and sells apartment complexes and they ususally have a weight limit and may also discriminate against certain breeds.

For apartment life, I would go with a medium sized young adult dog. If your puppy has many accidents or decides to chew the base boards, it may be costly to you when you decide to move out. Also, you would be able to anlayze its temperment and energy level from the start and make a more educated decision about which dog is right for you and your lifestyle.

Good Luck in whatever you decide and post picks when the time comes.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 05:14:40 am »
Since you will be living alone, I would suggest a dog older 1 to 2 yrs so it is already house broke to make your life easier. Good luck with your choice!
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 01:29:11 pm »
How exciting begining a whole new chapter in your life..
I have to put my vote here for Bouvier's
I have nothing against any of the breeds mentioned including *mutts*  I may have my favorites but I must admitt that I am most non predjuice when it comes to dog breeds..
Bouv's are a great choice for what you describe you want..'They do need grooming..but like a poodle can be kept clipped short..
I've had two now the second a four mth old pup..and funny enough I keep them in a schauzner clip of sorts..
But grooming is something you need to consider..sinc e I was a groomer in my youth it is not for me..

Bouv's are highly trainable..bon d strongly with their people ..aren't known as barkers...prot ective of their family..and adaptable to whatever the situtation seems to be..

I am sure that you will find or they will find you..when the time comes..and the fact that you are researching and looking into breeds is a very good thing..bravo..
Keep us posted on how things go..and any  questions you may have..

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Miranda1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 05:04:32 am »
  Wow! Thank you so much for all of the insight!!
I really appreciate it. I’m still not totally sure, I have some more research to do hahaha! I’m trying to make sure I know the good, the bad and the ugly of each breed.

One more question… If I get an adult dog, will it eventually bond with me as strongly as a puppy I raised from the start would?

Thanks
Miranda

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 07:50:14 am »
Absolutely!! I got Aurora at age 5 just alittle over a month ago and she was bonded tight after the first week. I agree that some rescues know the bad side of life and really appreciate it when they have it good.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties