Author Topic: How do you keep a Pyr happy???  (Read 8780 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
How do you keep a Pyr happy???
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:12:42 am »
 :(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 08:43:12 am by Kermit »

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How do you keep a Pyr happy???
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:14:50 am »
That's really tough Rebekah, I'm sorry but I don't have anything useful for you.  I just wanted to say good luck, I sure hope you're able to come to a positive conclusion.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:45:52 am »
IMHO, guarding things in the house is a separate issue from guarding the yard.  What exactly is Mokey doing with the toys, food bin etc?  If she's not allowing the other dogs near those things, that doesn't sound like typical Pyr guarding to me.  I have to agree that you need to make sure that she understands that you control the resources and those are YOUR toys, food etc.

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:02:24 am »
IMHO, guarding things in the house is a separate issue from guarding the yard.  What exactly is Mokey doing with the toys, food bin etc?  If she's not allowing the other dogs near those things, that doesn't sound like typical Pyr guarding to me.  I have to agree that you need to make sure that she understands that you control the resources and those are YOUR toys, food etc.

Thanks Ursa, now I see how those are two separate behaviors.

In the house, yes she is growling and not letting the other dogs come near the food bin or the toys. I guess this is just "bad dog" behavior and not necessarily "guardian dog" behavior!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:21:31 am »
Ahhhhhhh.... ok.

Actually this is all really good news because that means training will probably work. I was thinking it was instinct from her genetics. But this is a way better problem to have!

Thanks for the perspective!

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:27:20 pm »
My favourite website has an article on resource guarding:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/guarding-valued-objects

and Jean Donaldson has a book, here's a review:

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/donaldsonmine.html

If you have a resource guarder I would caution against going over and forcibly taking things she has in her possession UNLESS you have something of the same or of greater value to trade. 

I would also sit down with her during her meals and hand feed her from the bowl.  For now I would put the food bin away where she can't guard it, not let her up on the couch and put the toys away.

Like someone said she needs to know that you own everything and you are only sharing your things with her. 

The incident when your two females got in a fight sounds much like re-directed aggression to me.   

Good luck. 

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:19:15 am »
The only other thing I could add is since you walk dogs is it possible to take her with you so she could get used to other dogs and get some exercise too?
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline steve

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 04:01:28 pm »
I have a male Pyr and 5 other dogs and the Pyr rules all. It's his yard and he will guard it, the females may run behind him but the males better stay clear. We constantly scolded him for aggressive behavior with the other dogs and he eventually eased up. The other dogs also know to stay clear. The other dogs are small except a golden retiever who doesn't guard anyways. Luckily we have no dog capable of challenging him so our problem solved itself. That husky mix is going to be a problem because of the spitz backround, they are fighters. Your problem may never go away. Some Pyr's rule all, no exceptions, or die trying. Hope you can work it out.