Author Topic: Suggestions for sunburn, and preventing another one?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
Suggestions for sunburn, and preventing another one?
« on: April 20, 2009, 02:01:18 am »
Hubby and I felt brave enough to take Tucker to his first dog park on Friday night, where we met up with some friends and their 5 month old black lab.  Tucker did great, we loved it, and were instantly addicted to the experience.

So we took Tucker again on Saturday for a couple hours, and again on Sunday for about 3 hours.  It was beautiful weather, sun shining, warm- just great.  Neither one of us thought of the possibility of sunburn (for us or for Tucker) and now, looking at Tucker's nose this Monday morning, I'm sure its a little pinker than usual.

(Its the part of his nose that would be called the "bridge" of his nose if he were a person.  What's the word?  Snout? I can't think of it....)

Anyway, it definitely looks pinky-red to me, is there anything I can do for it?  I don't think Tucker is hurting or uncomfortable at all because of it, its just to me, it looks pinky-red, so I'm thinking it must be sore/tender?

Also, for future dog park visits, what can I rub on this spot to prevent it from burning again? Do they make doggie sunblock?

Thanks, have a great Monday!
Sarah
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for sunburn, and preventing another one?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 06:54:38 am »
Thanks for info.  I heard back from my vet too, who said that to use a children's formula sunscreen was ok, and aloe to soothe any sunburned area is ok too, as long as its 100% aloe- nothing else.
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for sunburn, and preventing another one?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:51:15 am »
we use the kids sunscreen on our crew, with reba and pavi having no hair, we have to cover them in it... and jigs being white we do her whole face. zero's nose and repo will have his nose done too...  i hope that the burn gets better real fast  :-*
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~