Author Topic: Training issue w/Aussie????  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Gloria C

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Training issue w/Aussie????
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:48:54 am »
Hi!

As you know, I'm about to adopt a 5 yr old Aussie.  He's pretty well trained....how ever.....he's very large in comparison to me (he weighs 70 lbs & I weigh 100 soaking wet).....

When he recently visited I saw a potential problem (although he's very well behaved in every other respect).

He tried to go tearing out the front door the minute I opened it.  He did not listen to my commands or respond to the leash pull.  :o  My question is this...how do I stop this once he has moved in permanently??  Seriously, I could barely keep him from running out or bowling me over.  He's significantly stronger than me.   ??? 

No, it doesn't mean I won't adopt him, it just means I need some advice as to how to train him NOT to do that. 

lookingfornewf

Re: Training issue w/Aussie????
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:29:42 am »
This is something I have worked on with Clifford. I have him sit and stay when I open the door. I go out, tell him Ok and point to where he is to sit and stay on the outside while I close and if need be lock the door. It takes a lot of practice and for Clifford, treats, he doesn't work for free ;D. I have him sit at each curb before crossing the street when we are out on walks. Also when I practice skills with him I'll have him sit and stay while I open the door, go outside, ring the doorbell, come back in, all while he is in a stay and then he gets his treat.
Aussie's are smart, so I'm sure with some training will get it.
I still love his face, he looks so happy and eager to play.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 05:31:15 am by Clifford the big dog »

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:12:24 am »
Ripley is the worst at door bolting!  HE's even figured out how to open the screen door if it's not latched and take a stroll around the neighborhood!!  We have trained him to sit/stay at the front door until we release him.  I agree that a training collar or gentle leader of some kind will give you the control you need.  My girl, Bo, weighs 135lbs and we've used a variety of remedies to keep her in check (easy walk harness, gentle leader, prong collar, martingale collar)...all of which work well.  I prefer the prong collar mostly because of the amount of fur on her neck and the fact that it gets her attention better than anything else.
Good luck!!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 08:18:44 am »
I would do training in small steps starting with just opening the door a crack and treat/praise when he shows no interest and work from there.  You could send him to a mat, dog bed or certain spot that you want him to be when the door opens when people come over. 

Just stand at the door and wait for as long as it takes for him to look up at you then treat and slowly reach for the knob, wait for him to look at you again.  Open it a crack and wait for him to look at you, again for as long as it takes and then give him a treat.  He'll start to understand that he gets what he wants when he is paying attention.  You'll have to be very patient and give feedback when he's doing great.

Have him on a 25 foot long line and tie it to something in the house that won't move.  That way if he bolts and you can't hold on, you have a back up.  If he does bolt, hold on and try not to let him get too far.  Just plant your feet and bend your knees and wait for him to realise he's not getting anywhere by pulling. Lure him back to heel position.

Does he have a good recall?  If not I would really work on that as well so if he does bolt you can get him back before he's long gone.

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:26:15 am »
I should add that during the exercise when you are opening the door inch by inch that instead of him looking at you, he decides to push through the crack of the door, immediately close it with a "too bad" or "oops" so he knows he made a mistake.  Don't slam the door on his head or anything like that.   ;)

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:36:56 pm »
The way we do this is by going back on leash......... ..No where near the door, but to teach the word "wait". Basic obedience training. And it can be done with the reward system. We get rescue newfs who are fully grown to retrain so i know how difficult it can be. We do basic obedience with all our dogs from the moment they come into our place. Using "heeL", "sit" and "wait. We do use treat and a check chain. If they pull uncontrollably on leash it is important to not led them get to far out from your body and to pull at a slight angle, sothat they are not able to tow you. If our new dogs for re-training do pull hard, we will also push them on the hindquarter whilst they try to pull. This disengages the hindquarter (horse riders will know this trick) and give the dog less power.
We make our dogs "wait" and/or "sit" at every door/gate and for all food. It takes a bit of effort initially, but it is great when it all comes together.
Good luck
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos