Author Topic: I feel so bad for my father..  (Read 3926 times)

Lyn

I feel so bad for my father..
« on: April 21, 2009, 03:52:26 am »
I've previously mentioned my father's toy poodle Candy that blew both her ACL's. Well during the past 2 weeks she just hasen't been doing well. Her left side is filling with fluid and her fur is falling out. :o I knew just by looking at her that it was time, but my father refused and I didn't want to argue with him. I just left him be and hoped he would see that she was suffering. :'(

Fast forward to this morning my mother wakes me up. Apparently Candy hasen't been eating for a week and he didn't tell anyone. Yesterday she had vommited twice in the living room and this morning they woke up to their bedroom covered in vomit. Candy now won't walk, won't drink or eat and is just laying there shaking.  :'(

They just left for the vet to end her suffering. This is going to be so hard on my Dad.  :'(

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:53:05 am by Lyn »

AudgePadge

Re: I feel so bad for my father..
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 03:53:58 am »
 :'( I'm so sorry Lyn, give my best to your father...

Sleep easy Candy, you'll suffer no more...

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:07:29 am »
Thanks gals. I'm relieved that Candy is free of pain. I was in agony just looking at her these past 2 weeks, but this morning was just different. He couldn't look at her and just say she was fine. It was obvious she was dying. :'(

Lola was laying next to her and sniffing her. Odd because they normally are not 'buddies'. Candy hated Lola with a passion. But when my father was trying to pick Candy up to go to the vet Lola was in the way and wouldn't budge. I had to grab Lola by the collar and pull her. Now Lola is laying beside me like she's depressed and Bubba is cuddling with her.

My Dad is just a wreck. He just buried Candy in our yard beside Cuddles and Raven the 2 kitties he lost last year. :'(

Tonda, my Dad is the same. He needs a new puppy asap. But my mother doesn't feel the same way. She's already asked me to not get him a puppy. It's too hard when they pass. But he's so used to caring for a dog that he feels empty without one. He has Bubba and Lola but it's not the same for him.. I don't think she understands that.

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 07:34:03 am »
So very sorry but glad he finally made the decision. We all feel his pain. Maybe your mom will see how lonely he is and give in. We'll keep all paw, toes & fingers crossed on this end.

RIP little Candy  :-*
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:00:45 am »
I tried to comfort/talk to him and he just started to cry. He's not one to talk about his emotions, (know I now where I get it from) He was wandering around the house earlier like he was lost.. now he's sitting in his chair staring at the tv. :'(

I think the issue is my mom needs time to grieve, whereas Dad is grieving not only for the loss of Candy but the loss of his companion. If that makes any sense. He needs a dog to feel 'whole'
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:02:39 am by Lyn »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:58:01 pm »
Awwww Lyn, I'm so sorry.  It's hard to lose a beloved family member and also very hard to see our parents so sad.  We've gone through this a few times over the last couple of years as my Mom & Dad have one-by-one lost their sweet old dogs, and it is so hard.  They have just one left and Dad is bringing her up with him to spend the summer with us again in a few weeks.  At 17 now we know that Muffy's time is short & I'm worried about how my dad will take her loss, too.  I'm so sorry for all of your loss.  :'( 

Regarding adding a new member to the family, I sympathize b/c it takes me time to grieve, too.  However, I wonder if you were to foster a dog for a little while if your Mom wouldn't fall in love with him or her.  ;)  Especially if he or she had the type of personality that your parents are usually drawn to.  Do you think that that might work?  In any case, your parents are blessed to have your love & support during this sad time.  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees