Author Topic: Angus just went after my neighbors dog....long  (Read 6866 times)

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
Angus just went after my neighbors dog....long
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:13:54 am »
Some of you know the deal with Angus.  Well, I've been working super hard with him lately, and I thought we were doing better, but we just had a major step back.  I had to wash his foot cuz he stepped in $***, which is always a nice treat.  So I took him and the dawn outside to the hose to wash it.  On our way back, my neighbors dogs were out....

back story on these dogs...for the last several months I've noticed they didn't have their "magical fence" (electric fence) collars on, and they have been coming into my yard and pooping.  I've been really tired of picking up their poo, but more concerned witht the fact that they run free.  I myself have an electric fence, but ONLY CODY IS ON IT SINCE HE ACTUALLY STAYS IN MY YARD...IF IT DOESN'T WORK, OR YOU DON'T HAVE THE ENERGY TO PUT ON THE COLLAR, DON'T OWN AN ELECTRIC FENCE...THEY DON'T PHYSICALLY KEEP YOUR DOG IN...PEOPLE DRIVE ME CRAZY.  Anyway...their little ugly black dog always runs into the edge of my yard (codys electric fence is 10 feet into my property (we are good neighbors i think)....so this little thing stands where cody can't and barks and bark and barks and barks and barks and growls and barks and barks and barks...litera lly, for 10's of minutes into the hours...

Well, after I cleaned off Angus's foot, we were walking back around the side of the house and down towards my sliding glass door and I saw movement...and it was Shadow (the little black dog) and Sadie (the lab) coming straight for us.  I immediately feel my heart stop, and feel the adrenalin enter my blood stream (where is the dog whisperer when you need him?)...We were within 4 feet of my back door, ON MY OWN PATIO.  The little one came straight for Angus, and Angus went straight for her.  She yelped (this is like a 5 pounder, Angus is a sort-of St Bernard mind you...so she yelped and started to run home...I was able to get Angus into the house, and then I F****** took off for their house.  I told them what happened and to keep their dogs in their own yard, and to put their collars on them, then came home.  Then cooled off, then went back and made sure he didn't get her...and the girl said she checked her and there were no wet spots on her. 

WHY DON'T PEOPLE BE RESPONSIBLE ABOUT THEIR ANIMALS???  I KNOW MY DOG IS THE SEMI CRAZY ONE...BUT HE IS ALWAYS ON A LEASH, AND ALWAYS IN MY YARD THAT WE OWN AND WE PAY TAXES ON AND LIVE ON.  WHAT IS IT ABOUT PEOPLE THAT THEY JUST LET THEIR DOGS RUN OFF LEASH, OUT OF THEIR YARD, POOP ON OTHER PEOPLES YARDS?, WALK RIGHT UP TO STRANGE DOGS??  IT DRIVES ME NUTS!

THANK GOD THAT STUPID, UGLY LITTLE DOG IS OK...MAYBE IT WILL PREVENT MYSELF AND ANGUS FROM GETTING INTO TROUBLE...

Can we get in trouble???  Can HE get in trouble for having aggressive tendencies??  Does anyone know the laws in Missouri, or know WHERE to find laws for Missouri????  I'm freakin out.

UGHUGHUGH.  sorry
nic
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:35:59 am by nickerbokker »
NICKI

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Angus just went after my neighbors dog....long
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:31:38 am »
First,  relax.  :D

I think you're being way too hard on Angus.  He acted appropriately.   Those dogs were totally rude and if Angus really wanted to hurt them he could have.  But he showed restraint and excellent bite inhibition.  In no way would I label what he did as aggressive.  No way!  Just normal dog behaviour. He was telling them off and rightly so. 

Phone animal control.  It's as easy as that.  Every time there is an incident, phone them. 

You know why people can't have their dogs on leashes?  Because they're lazy and irresponsible and feel they have a sense of entitlement. 

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:35:18 am »
lol, thanks.  Animal Control is #2 on my speed dial...#1 is voice mail.  lol, let's just say they have heard from me before. 

I don't want to report myself though, and I feel that is what I would essentially be doing.  That's why I'm curious about missouri laws and such. 

Yes, Angus could literally have killed that dog with one bite....why he didn't I don't know...but he didn't lick it either.  I'm not sure why it didn't end worse than it did...but I'm extremely concerned now.  Thinking I need to carry pepper spray with me...
NICKI

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:01:57 am »
Report it, you have nothing to hide!  You guys did nothing wrong.  Those dogs were not under control or supervision AND they were trespassing.  Animal control needs to know that there has been an "incident" so if this were to happen again and Angus seriously hurt the other dog, this incident would actually be in your favour.  

I don't know the laws but I don't think you need to worry if something bad were to happen if dogs are trespassing on your property and instigating crap with your guy.

Now if Angus got out and went over to their yard and hurt their dog, then there would be a problem.

I love my city's animal control.  They've been great.  And the times that I have called there has always been an improvement.

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:07:44 am »
Ah, thanks stella.  That does make sense, I am just so scared of him getting in trouble because of it though!!!!!  If anything happens to my dogs because of my neighbors being stupid pet owners, World War 3 will start on my street...

It does make me feel better though that you all see my side of it lol, BPO people should rule the world!  I will be at target at 5pm to get a new spray bottle, and a new bottle of vinegar...hope I never need to use it (with pepper spray as a reserve).  Am glad that this happened on my property.

I am considering not walking Angus anymore though...I've always been scared of off leash dogs coming up to him outside of my yard..and this was a BIG wake up call (even though I walk him with a muzzle on, don't know if the other dog would hurt him).  

My poor retarded dog.  I wish he could just love everyone how he loves my family!!!
NICKI

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 08:50:13 am »
The really stupid thing is that We built our home here, and we were the LAST home to go up on our street and the street behind us...When we built, there were no fences at all...After Tyler died and we decided to get Cody, we were going to put up a fence, but all of our neighbors got together and had us come to a meeting and said "we would prefer you not put up a fence because it ruins the effect"...We weren't happy, but we also didn't want to piss off all of our new neighbors...so we put in an electric fence, and now the people that PUT TOGETHER THAT MEETING are the ones whose dogs were in my yard.  Frustrating.  So, yes, we allow fences here (height and material restricted though)...but our neighbors don't like them.  Then my neighbors put up a fence to keep their kids in it, and now that they are like 10, it keeps their kids OUT of it and constantly walking through MY yard.  ugh.  I shouldn't have neighbors, I need to buy land in the country or something.
NICKI

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:50:51 am »
I've been on hold with my City now for 15 minutes.  I hate where I live.
NICKI

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:57:59 am »
http://www.ofallon.mo.us/PD/divisions_ac_codes.htm

"one of the best places to live" my ###.  Actually laughed when that was printed, but seeing on the website is (I think) false advertising. 

Animal Codes and Ordinances

OWNER: Any person, partnership, or association or corporation owning, keeping, or harboring one (1) or more animals. An animal shall be deemed to be harbored if it is fed or sheltered for three (3) consecutive days or more.

PUBLIC NUISANCE: Any animal that habitually barks, howls, whines, or makes other sounds that disturb a person’s peace, or causes a foul or obnoxious odor to be emitted for the premises.

SURROUNDING ADJACENT PROPERTY: Premises on both sides, directly to the rear, on both sides of the premises, and directly across the street of the animal owner.

WILD ANIMAL: Any live non-human primate, raccoon, fox, skunk, poisonous reptile, bear, wolf, wolf-hybrid, cougar, leopard, jaguar, tiger, lion, lynx, bobcat, ocelot, or any other animal which can normally be found in the wild state. (Ord. No. 3130-3, 7-19-94)

Any owner having custody of any animal shall maintain control of that animal, and:

1.Shall not permit the animal to be a public nuisance or disturb the peace of any person.
2.Shall not permit the animal to be at large within the city limits.
3.Shall not keep or allow to be kept on or about their property or premises, any fierce/ dangerous animal.
4.Shall not keep, or cause to be kept, maintained, or controlled, more that three (3) animals, over the age of three (3) months, per household or business establishment, except:
1.When a household owner obtains a written permission from all the surrounding adjacent property owners.
2.When a business establishment is licensed to board, sell, care for, or protect animals.
5.Shall ensure the animal is property vaccinated against rabies and other diseases as may be necessary; and displays a current St. Charles County Department of Health tag.
6.Shall, if desired, and, after complying with Subparagraph (4) (a) or (b) supra, apply at the O’Fallon City Hall, by January first (1st) of each and every year, for a permit allowing more than three (3) animals per household or business establishment. Annual application to allow more than three (3) animals per household is on file in the City offices.
7.Shall ensure the animal is provided with adequate care and adequate shelter.
8.Shall keep every female dog or cat in heat confined in a building or secure enclose in such manner that such female dog or cat cannot come into contact with another animal except for a planned breeding.
9.May use the electronic containment system commonly known as “Invisible Fence” as a restraint system for animals. The “Invisible Fence” may be used as a secondary restrain in addition to a visible primary enclosure. This system is permitted if all maintenance requirements to keep the “Invisible Fence” in good working condition are met
NICKI

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:01:37 am »
Nicki,

I swear I'd say "To h*ll with what they like" and build the fence. That's what my parents did and what we did, too, when we bought a house. And, guess what, everyone else followed suit. I think everyone sort of decided they wanted them but no one wanted to be the first to do it because of the "bully" neighbors like the ones you have.

I wish I could go back in time and just put on the darned fence...It would give me back the 5 years that these last 8 years have taken off my life lol.  It also might have been way cheaper than the $14,000 the fence company wants to build my fence.   :(
NICKI

Offline Morweena

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:41:36 pm »
Call animal control - if you don't and the next time your dog isn't as well mannered about it (not hurting the intruder) it could look like he is more aggressive than he is, at least this way there is a call registered that these neighbors dogs are not contained or controlled.

Ruby - bullmastiff/malamute

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 08:34:21 am »
I've attached a solution!