Author Topic: At wits end  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Vapidfire

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
At wits end
« on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:50 am »
Hello Everyone,

I just need people to rant to as I'm at my wits end with Lincoln.

I've tried to show patience with this dog I mean gods know that Kaylee was not an easy puppy to deal with and her and I made it past the hump.

Lincoln is my husband's dog, he wanted a big fluffy dog and I love Newfies so it seemed the perfect match. He promised that he'd do all the training and everything with him. I knew he wouldn't so it doesn't bother me that that has fallen upon me. I actually enjoy training dogs so it works.

However Lincoln will go to the bathroom in his crate (both urine and other). He will then lay in it which means cleaning his crate and giving him a bath. Now I don't mean that he will do this if he has been in the crate over night. I mean the second the door closes he pees and lays in it even if it's been about 10 seconds. I cannot even crate him to feed him cause he will go to the bathroom.
It does not matter how big or small the crate is - he doesn't care if he is sleeping in his own waste.

So to solve this problem we just stopped crating him. I figured cleaning the tile or rug was easier than cleaning the crate and having to give the dog a bath at least once a day.

I've tried not to let it bother me that I have to clean up puppy accidents every morning. For the most part up until these last few days it hasn't.

I am now at my wits end though. Over the past three days he has been getting up onto the couch and pooping on the couch. He's not allowed up on the couch and will not get up there during the day if someone is awake.

To make matters worse he then steps all over it and spreads it around the couch then around the carpet beneath the couch. The last three mornings I've had to take all the cushion covers off, wash them, then scrub the carpet.

I am seriously not sure how much more of this I can handle.

Cat
Serenity: Fila Brasileiro Female
Kaylee: Fila Brasileiro Female
Lincoln: Newfoundland Male
Keegan: Fila Brasileiro Male
Cathen: Fila Brasileiro Male
Bug & Ger: Devon Rex Cats
Remus: Roommates Mutt
Rescues of all sorts

Offline Vapidfire

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: At wits end
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 05:11:49 am »
Hi,

The crate thing he has been doing since the first day we got him. He's not fully potty trained but there are far less accidents in the house during the day because I let the dogs out every hour or so regularly.

Since he's not fully potty trained I understand there being accidents on the floor over night but the couch thing is brand new and just started over the past three days.

There was a major change in the house, we had two roommates move in. However that was a couple of weeks ago and the couch thing just started. Also they have two dogs but we've been babysitting those two dogs for over a month now (before the roomies moved in with us) so I don't think that would be effecting this behaviour.

Cat
Rescues of all sorts

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:54:18 am »
Yikes! I don't know if I could handle what you are going through. How was this little guy kept at the breeder? I'm wondering if they were crated all the time maybe he thinks that's the place to go. It does sound like starting all over might help. Good Luck to you and your poor wits!
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline Vapidfire

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 11:40:28 am »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't committed doggy murder yet!

We went back to crating him at night. He's had a couple of accidents in there so far but at least it's a big enough crate that he isn't laying in it. The idea of putting him in a smaller crate has crossed our minds but I know from past experience that he does not mind laying in his own waste so a smaller crate would just mean more baths.

This morning I've come to the conclusion that the accidents in his crate are him hoping that if he goes in the crate someone will let him out. So for the next week or so he's going to be spending a lot of time in his crate. I will let him out every hour or two to go to the bathroom but other than that it's crate time. If  he has an accident I'll clean it up but won't let him out of the crate.

We'll see if he figures out that peeing or pooping in there won't do him a darn bit of good.
Cat
Rescues of all sorts