Author Topic: Hello - new to the board...  (Read 18072 times)

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Hello - new to the board...
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 01:19:36 pm »
Good Monday everyone and thanks for the welcomes! 

Marit - your house sounds like a rockin' place.  Lotta action with all those dogs and cats together :D.

Hi Tina :) ...I'm about 2 hrs west in York, PA.  I've been to Philly for a few ball games and concerts.  I know there's a lot more to the city, I just haven't taken the time to check it out.

Hi Brigid...as of now Lola's made it pretty clear that she likes her real meat and bones, in addition to the kibble.  So looks like a combo/hybrid BARF and kibble is taking place.  I just don't trust myself with giving her a balanced diet on BARF alone.  I do feel like the high quality kibbles have some nutritional properties that may round out her diet.  She'll be getting her beloved raw chicken wings/ beef, or organ meat - probably 1 time per day.  I don't know if there is a single holistic vet in my area.  The few I've tried are WAY against the raw diet ::) .

Yo OEM  ;D !
Pop to Lola, the Batgirl :D

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 01:52:02 pm »
Hello & welcome to B.P.'s!!...My name is Chelle & i live in Iowa with my hubby, 2 children, 8 cats, 2 house bunnies, a guinea pig Princess, & my 2 Great Pyrenees...Sam son turned 1 last month & Pippin is 6 months...I'm glad you joined us!...B.t.w., that's a big puppy you have!...How big do they get?...Wow! :)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 02:07:39 pm »
Hey gypsy jasmine - how much does pippin weigh?

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 02:22:15 pm »
Hi and thanks, Gypsy Jazmine...here is the Standard info on the Giant Schnauzer:

http://www.dogbiz.com/dogs-grp3/schnauzer-gt/breed-std-schnauzer-gt.htm

Looks like "standard" height for females is 23.5" - 25.5" at the withers.  I haven't actually measured Lola, although we did choose one of the biggest in the litter.  Not like a Great Dane or anything, but definitely big enough for us.   I guess pets can get bigger than standard...I saw that females can reach 80-100 lbs, males 85-110lbs.

I see you have a happenin' household as well with all those critters!  :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:24:23 pm by Edge »
Pop to Lola, the Batgirl :D

Offline wenrock

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 09:39:34 pm »
Hello...I am new to the board and edge's posting caught my eye. I have a 6 month old female giant who has also had urinary problems. She would wet when she was sleeping...oth erwise is totally potty trained. She also had problems with the concentration of her urine. From my readings incontinence is sometimes a problem for giants. She is on medicine now that helps so that she rarely has accidents...an d usually these accidents are after we miss a pill. Just curious, is your giant also incontinent?

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 10:24:59 pm »
I know you were referring to Edge, but I thought I'd post anyway.

Keiko has on again off again problems with incontinence.  Right now it's off again.  It started when she was 4 yrs old, and was on meds for 1.5-2 yrs.  Then a problem with her prescription caused us to miss a couple of weeks and she was fine so we took her off meds.  Then almost a year after taking her off meds she started dribbling again at the end of July/beginning of Aug.  She does not appear to be "dribbling" now, and I am trying an exercise regiment with her to see if it helps before starting her on meds again.

Offline wenrock

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 05:21:52 pm »
I noticed my giant was incontinent when she kept having accidents in her cage even though she was housebroken (she was only a few months old at the time). At first I thought it was maybe she just couldn't hold her urine, but then she had an accident while she was at sleeping by my feet...she did not even awaken when she had the accident!! When I took her to the vet they suspected an urinary infection and treated her for it. However, it did not "fix" the problem. She has since been put on Proin 50 tablets (I think it is PPA?) and that seems to take care of the problem for the most part. I have heard from some that she MAY outgrow this, but was just curious as to why so MANY giants seem to have this problem.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005, 05:30:20 pm »
Welcome to BPO!  It is an excellent site full of excellent info, opinions, support, and fun!  My name is Shana, (32 ) and my family shares their lives with... 3 Kuvasz.  Beauty is our 3 year old female 100 pounds., Aidan is almost 1 1/2 and our BIG BOY he weighs 135 pounds  right now, then we have our newest darling named Cali, she weighs 25 pounds and is 10 weeks old.  We also have a 3 1/2 year old Cocker named Max who is 23 pounds at last vet check, 3 children Myrissa, 13,  who owns 3 cats, Tiger, Sugar , and Trouble, Nicolaas our youngest 8,  who of course thinks he is "owned by his big dogs" and Anthony our middle son 11,  who owns Max.  Then there is Steve "Daddy -O" 35.  We live in Northern Minnesota on 160 acre farm.  Please visit our family at www.kildeskenn el.com and look under pictures for our Pride! 
I did not realize thre were giant schnauzers!  He is a Beautiful boy! ;D 
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Annabelle

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 01:00:44 am »
hi!  new to board as well!  this is our first GS and I am hoping for help along the way.  your pics are great...I love the one w/ you child and dog...very sweet.  Our five yr old is a little afraid of our newest member to our family, b/c she nips and bites at EVERYTHING...a nd puppy teeth as you know are like razors!
hopefully my DH will put Anna's pics on here for me soon, so you all can see our little terror! LOL
welcome!