Author Topic: BIG MAMA  (Read 20056 times)

Jen

Re: Can't wait to see more pics!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 12:49:49 pm »
Hi Anita, :) I replied to your post in the dog friendly topic, go there to see.

Jen :)

Hi Jen!

Love the pics!  Keep them coming.  That is great news getting another pup!  She is darling.   So that will make 3 for you guys now?  The Great Pyr, and 2 Newfies?  

Good luck!

Anita from NJ

Jen

Re: BIG MAMA
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2005, 12:12:52 pm »
I finally got my camera fixed so I can load pictures to computer here are the bunny ears!  THunder looks so THRILLED don't you think!
Jen

I snapped a few pics of THunder in Bunny ears but when I went to enter them on the computer I found my usb adapt. to be damaged so Kodak is overnighting my a new one.  I am looking forward to putting pics up that is my FAVORITE part of this site.  Lovin' Spoakiss in those ears.

Jen

Looking for bunny ears,although they might be all sold out since its after easter.I found some at a party store.They fit an adult even though I have them on 4 month old Spotakiss.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 07:52:10 pm »
Wow Jen...Thunder was about as happy taking that picture as Bear was with his Easter butterfly wings. :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Lem and Ruck

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 08:15:23 pm »
Hi Anita --

We've been very lucky with our girl's ACLs -- we've never noticed her to be stiff after playing hard.  Knock wood.  However, we do have her on a glucosamine/chondroiton supplement (we use Restor-a-Flex (it's cheapest at HealthyPets.co m), but we've heard some good things about Cosequin, and we're thinking of looking into that a bit more).  We also keep both beasts on an anti-oxidant supplement -- Evsco Select Full Spectrum Antioxidant Supplement for Dogs and Cats.  Other than that, we try to keep them both well-muscled, and we hope.  A lot.  So far so good. 

Good luck with your babies.  Sounds like our households are similar (we even have a cat named Klondike!). 

Tad

Offline Lem and Ruck

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005, 08:29:25 pm »
Also I wasn't quite familiar exactly the conditions Lem had so maybe you can break it down for me.

Hi Jen --

Sorry for the delay in responding -- I've just been buried at work lately.

Newfie maladies -- where to begin? 

Entropion is a condition where the lower eyelid is just too big, and it flops over - inward - and rubs on the cornea everytime the dog blinks.  Left unrepaired, obviously, it can eventually lead to serious vision problems from the damage to the cornea. 

Joint issues -- hips, knees, elbows, are all pretty self-explanatory.

Newfies also have a propensity toward SAS (sub-aortic stenosis), which is where one of the valves in the hear doesn't work quite right, and it basically will stick open, I think it is.  This can happen any time, and sometimes the episode will last a couple of minutes, but then it just starts working again and all's well until the next episode.  I understand there's really nothing you can do during one of these episodes, other than watch, and hope, and cry.  Luckily, we don't have that, and many breeders will euthanize a pup who has this (it can be tested for at like 8 weeks or so) -- other breeders will just give those pups away to good homes. 

The last one I mentioned was bloat.  It's most common in bigger breeds with deep chests, but Newfies have been known to have it (we had a friend that did, and lived to tell about it.)  Basically, I guess horses and cows can get it too, it's where the stomach fills up with gas and flips over on itself (that part's actually called "torsion").  It's a fatal condition, in a very short time frame if you don't get t the vet, and even then, it's an approx. $5000 surgery with uncertain odds.  I guess the intestinal tissue begins dying quickly, because it doesn't get any blood flow.  But there is a pretty simple procedure where they go in laparascopical ly and tack the stomach to the abdominal wall (actually they wrap it around a rib, too), so that it can't flip over.  Lem was going under anaesthesia anyway to remove a small anal polyp and for an exploratory look at the alleged third kidney (false alarm -- just a floppy second kidney that showed up in two different positions on an ultrasound), so we just had that done at the same time.  It's called a gastropexy.  When we had our male neutered, we did the same thing, since he was already under, and it's a pretty basic procedure. 

Those are the biggies that I know of. 

Again, sorry for the long post. 

Tad