Author Topic: Where's the dog supposed to sleep?  (Read 3092 times)

Jodi and the pack

Where's the dog supposed to sleep?
« on: May 16, 2009, 03:56:17 pm »
I've crate trained all of my dogs and at the beginning the crates were set in the hallway outside our bedrooms.  Then when we started obedience with our setter (then the only dog in our house), our trainer said that the crate should alway be in our bedroom right at the foot of the bed and that they should ALWAYS be crated.  Now, two large dogs later, my entire bedroom is occupied by 3 extra large dog crates.  Sophie can be trusted not to be shut in hers and will sleep there all night.  Ada, on the other hand, loves to roam the house at night getting in trouble.  One morning we actually came downstairs to an open refridgerator door and a mess I can't even describe.  Needless to say, Ada definately gets shut in.  So far Remy has crate trained wonderfully and goes to bed at the same time my little girls do, and wakes up at exactly 6:44 a.m., seconds before the alarm clock goes off to get everyone ready for school.  Because of this my littlest girl wants Remy to sleep in her room, and I wouldn't mind one less snorer in mine, but my trainer adamently says that this will create separation and jealousy between the dogs, and that Remy will stop viewing me as the female pack leader, and Pandora's box will be opened, and complete chaos will ensue, and the world will stop existing as we know it.  Alright, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but he makes it sound like a very big NO-NO.  I just wanted to know what your views were on doggy sleeping arrangements or if you had any advice.   

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the dog supposed to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 01:23:43 am »
Athena is only crated during tue & thur during the day while I'm at work, Aurora has full roam. At night they both sleep with me - crowded but I love it!! ;D ;D
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the dog supposed to sleep?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:04:20 am »
I agree, that is just the trainers way of thinking, like when they told me not to let Adak sleep with me or in my room. Occasionally I wake up and Adak is up there in "HIS" spot at the bottom of the bed. He does not challenge me and come to the head of the bed unless invited for rubs, but would rather be directly under the ceiling fan or on the floor on his spot. It is a personal preference, my belief once trained let them sleep where they want. Adak goes to bed on the floor on my side of the bed every night around 10pm, no questions asked literally gets up and goes in there and waits on me. I was even told by a trainer not to let Adak in my son's room before or after I had him, that would have been a HUGE mistake, Adak knows, when bryce is in there alone and the door is cracked that means NO ENTRY unless mom says so and he will lie outside the door. Go with your instinct. I am sure he will be just fine  :-*