Author Topic: help  (Read 2887 times)

Offline syl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
help
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:44 pm »
I am new to this site and joined becaue I want some information. I do not know how or where to post, so hopefully someone can help.  I am in the process of trying to acquire a Newfoundland puppy.  I've researched until I am dizzy. The more i learn the more confused i get.  I think i have narrowed it down to 2 breeders but having a hard time making a decision between the breeders.  I think i want a male but am not sure. Do people have opinions about differences in personalities based on sex?  I know the obvious differences related to size.  Also, does one sex live longer than the other usually? ie are there more physical problems with males vs. females? Also, do people have any recommendation s as to breeders? Can we do that?  I am not interested in showing or competition.  I do want a beautiful, healthy, and great temperamented dog.  Can anyone suggest? 

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:34:56 pm »
If you want a healthy dog for your family you have to make sure that the breeder has all health clearances on parents (hips, elbows, thyroid, eyes, heart, etc.). That is the only way to know that the breeder actually cares  ;) Make sure that you can locate health records on www.offa.org for both parents.
I can't answer you question about personalities difference of males and females...IMO males are goofier and more playful.
The life longevity and health depends on food quality and health care you provide. 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: help
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:48:02 am »
Equally important to health testing of the parents is the history of what health problems have come up in previous litters.  If you have a breeder that tells you they have never had health problems or that seems to be unaware of health problems that may come up, then perhaps you want to keep looking.