Author Topic: Recovering from a day at the vet  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Recovering from a day at the vet
« on: August 19, 2005, 03:09:03 pm »
My little tekke got neutered today, hurray :)  He is home now feeling a little tired.  The vet discovered that he has the beginning stages of a skin infection so I have him on antibiotics for the next 2 weeks.

Just a note hear for any boxer owners or boxer cross owners... There is an anesthetic called Acepromazine that is commonly used by vets but it is very dangerous to boxers heres an article on it http://www.cinemaboxers.com/acepromazine.htm  I printed the sheet and took it with me today and I am glad I did because I don't think he knew that it was bad for boxers and it is the anesthetic that they use so I had him use a different one.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: Recovering from a day at the vet
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 03:30:31 pm »
I'm glad he's home and feeling better.

Ace is what is used sometimes as a "knockdown" drug. They have to get the dog out so they can intubate it, and then they use an inhalent anesthesia, such as isofluorane.

I generally request the "bag" my dog down. This involves a tech holding a big plastic funnel looking thingy over the dog's face so it breathes in the inhalent anesthesia and goes to sleep so they can intubate it.

It is the knockdown drugs that make your dog groggy and toddly after anesthesia.

Glad he's home and feeling better, and good for you for making the responsible choice and having him neutered.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.