Author Topic: Grooming advice - looks awful!  (Read 28271 times)

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
  • Petra - my beautiful Bouvier!
    • View Profile
Grooming advice - looks awful!
« on: May 23, 2009, 11:21:54 am »
Hi all,

I'm so disappointed.  I took my Bouvier to the groomers today and asked for a puppy cut for the summer.  I specifically asked for 1/2" to 3/4" - not shaved.  I came back and it looks like she is shaved in places, and uneven in others.  Plus, her face doesn't have the beautiful Bouv look to it anymore.

Has anyone else have this happen to them?  How quickly will it grow back, and will it be the same texture?  It was pretty dark at the groomers so I didn't see it until I was home - I ended up paying full price for a cut I hate.  On her tail you can even see the skin . . . I've posted some pictures . . .

I guess I need some encouragement that it isn't as bad as I think it is???

lorim2

Re: Grooming advice - looks awful!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:26:15 am »
Sorry I dont anything about how they should be cut but I do know she is absolutely adorable!  What a sweetie ;D

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 04:58:19 pm »
Actually I don't think it looks that bad..and it will grow back quickly..Willi am is getting a hair cut once a month from me..

I would not hesitate to take her back and complain..

Speaking as a former groomer..they mostly want people to be happy with what they do..

Always try to speak to the groomer who is going to be doing the work on your dog..

In fact when people with specific beeds would come to me and vaguely suggest what they want I would ask them to show me on their dog ..

On the Bouv face I agree..but it will grow back..and whether you take her back to this groomer or another ...my advise is to speak to the groomer doing the job on YOUR dog and explain what you want..if they are not familar with Bouv's ...many aren't..pull out some pictures..

For the most part they do want to please ...it means repeat business at the least..

I think she is adorable..
TATFK
PS Here is William after I did him..

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:31:21 am »
Thanks all,

I think I will try doing her myself the next time.  I don't mind that the clippers were used - I just think it is way too close.  It is the face that I didn't think I could do.  I did bring in a picture showing exactly the face that I wanted - I have a book on Bouviers so I flipped to the cut that I liked.

I hate confrontation - if it were a bigger business I would consider going back to let her know that I'm unhappy, but it is done in someone's basement.  I think I'll try myself the next time, and then maybe trying to find someone that has a Bouvier to show me how to cut the face.  I'd like to learn anyhow so that I can save on grooming costs.Sir William looks fabulous - I will zoom in on that picture!

Thanks for reminding me that it will grow back.  I'm not a patient person but I guess I will have to learn!

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 12:05:04 pm »
Patience is a very necessary tool doing anything with a Bouv..they don't like to be rushed..and grooming one requires patience..so she has come into your life to teach patience..

I have had many comments about William and Magic before him..and the cut I do isn't really a Bouv style..but living in Az it is the clip I use all year long..And being that both are therapy dogs and need frequent baths it just makes things a lot easier to get ready for visits.

The best advise I could give you if you want to do it yourself is to find someone who does Bouv's on a regular basis and ask for a few lessons..the face and head take the longest to grow back for some reason..but I think that is what you want to concentrate on ..for that Bouv look..

It is well worth it..

And get professional clippers if you are going to invest in some..they will pay for themselves..

On William I used a 10 blade on his tummy and private area..
and a 4 blade everywhere else..

the best explaination is that I carve a dog out of the hair ..and I use the clippers Sissoring is not my best skill..the only dogs I was ever good at were poodles..

Blowing a Bouv dry they have straight hair and I just am no good at sissoring it..

It is pretty amazing what you can do with a 4 blade..and I made lots of mistakes even after a few lessons from a groomer that I got some lessons from for a Bouv.

Just remember that the difference between a good haircut and a bad one is...a couple of weeks.. ;D

TATFK

jesday

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 07:48:44 am »
Sorry I can't help you on your cutie Bouv. I'm going through my own angst with my shaved Newfies. Had to do it because of allergies, but miss my beauties and hope I can let them get their coats back soon.

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 11:15:03 am »
Your newfs and my Bouv . . . we'll have to watch their hair grow back together.  Will you always have to keep them short due to allergies?

Magic - what is a 10 blade equal to? Does that refer to the width?  What size comb height would you recommend - can you tell I'm a rookie  ::)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:17:52 am by apple25 »

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 12:04:52 pm »
 ;D ;D  a 10 blade refers to the amount of hair that is cut off..I haven't used combs for a long long time on my clippers..

I have the Oster 5A and only two blades a 10 and a 4

the higher the blade# the shorter the cut..
As I said my suggestion is to find a groomer willing to teach you how to do your dog..the easiest way to learn is to watch and ask lots of questions..

I have an instrustion page if I can get them thru the scanner I will post them..

In the pics of William his body is done with a 4 blade and his tummy a 10..the feet I just sissor even..
Also his head I only used a 4 as well..
I like them short but not all people do..

I will try to scan the instructions and a pic..

TATFK

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 12:19:00 pm »
Well that worked out nicely..and if this is how you want yours to look..it may help you in finding a groomer..

I love the fact you want to learn to do it yourself..and finding a groomer willing to teach you will be the challenge..but worth it..

Let me know what ya think..
TATFK
PS once you pull up the picture of the instructions give it a min.and click on the sm box in lower right corner and it will inlarge enough to be able to read if not let me know and I will PM them to you
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:23:05 pm by MagicM3 »

jesday

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 12:32:19 pm »
Aww, looking at Petra again after groomers and Magic's depiction of how a Bouv should look, she really did get a crew cut. I think William's cut is a very nice look for the shorter cut. Ask if you can borrow William to take with you for your next groomer visit :)

Looks like Syrus (all black) will be okay if I keep an eye out for hot spots and treat them immediately. I think I'll be able to let him come back in fully. Sophie is the mess and I'm waiting for her allergy meds kit to arrive at vets. Then I will have to give her a series of shots to desensitize her. Keeping fingers crossed that they work. Not only to be able to grow her fur back, but for her comfort. Her underside looks like an incurable case of severe diaper rash.

Your Bouv sure looks like a sweetie. She'll look as good as new sooner than you think. ;)

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 01:21:46 pm »
Thanks so much,

I will use that as a guide but will also look up some other groomers that are comfortable showing me how to do it.  The face looks tricky - I think I'll defintely need some instruction for that.

Thanks again!!!!!!