Author Topic: chocolate poisoning in dogs  (Read 2669 times)

Offline boxerlover

  • Gnawer
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
chocolate poisoning in dogs
« on: May 24, 2009, 06:20:53 pm »
My 12 yr old, 55 lbs., Britney Spaniel/Retriever mut mix, ate a can of ready made chocolate icing at some point on Friday.  Saturday she had loose stools but that was the only symptom.  Today, Sunday night/Monday morning, she has been acting anxious, although she finally seems to have settled down.  If this is a reaction to the icing, can she recover on her own or will she need vet care?  Of course, this is a holiday weekend and we have no emergency vet in our area.  What is the timeline for symptoms and recovery?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline boxerlover

  • Gnawer
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: chocolate poisoning in dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:43:38 am »
Thanks so much for your response.  The link was very helpful.  Based on the info it contained and the way she seems today, I think she'll be ok.  I can't tell you how many ounces were in the can since she ate the label too!  but it was a regular small can you get at the grocery store - milk chocolate fudge was the name of it.  Anyway, I thank you for your help.

P.S. - your pups are beautiful!

Offline vmimom2006

  • Leader of the Pack
  • **
  • Posts: 406
    • View Profile
Re: chocolate poisoning in dogs
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:52:20 am »
Also welcome and it is every pups mission to get into trouble when it is a holiday weekend. It never seems to fail at our house anyway! Seems like when I'm going away I always have a perscription for one of them when I take them to the kennel.  ::)
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties