Author Topic: Update and more questions!  (Read 5874 times)

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Update and more questions!
« on: May 31, 2009, 01:33:54 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks so much for the advice re: the cats. We are home, got in at midnight last night, and Cooper showed just friendly casual interest in the cats despite not having had dinner. :)

Tonight, different story, he just clearly showed a little more forward-friendly interest in one of the cats who had ventured in. I gently held him back and talked to him and let him and the cat look at each other, then let the cat escape while he watched. The cat was terrified but not hissing, and I didn't want to push him.

So here are my questions:
1- Cooper has had all of his OFA clearances as he is 2 and his breeder was considering using him to breed. Hips, elbows came back excellent. This AM we walked maybe 4 square blocks and then once around one block 2 more times later in the day. Otherwise we stayed inside or on the grass in the backyard. Still, he seems to be "toeing in" on his back feet, and I can't remember if he did this yesterday at the breeder's or not. Is it possible his feet are sore? They look OK to me and he will let me touch them. We see the vet tomorrow but I'd love thoughts from all of you BTDT Newfie parents.

2- Ohhh, the poop. Poor guy is new here, transitioning food (slowly, he's on 75% old food (Exceed), 25% new (Taste of the Wild)) and water (75% Spring, 25% town today) and tonight he had his first poop, which was soft and smelly - and I'm wondering if he's still got some stuck under his tail or to his behind as I can still smell it now over an hour later (and no, I'm not wearing the same clothes, lol). So, uh, do you all regularly clean your Newfie down there when they have a smelly poop, and what method/s do you recommend?

Sorry for the newbie questions. We just ADORE this dog - he is so friendly and perfect for our family. And I want to do my very best to give him the best possible care!

Attaching a few pics...hope this works!

Thanks!

Mary (using real name now that dog is home...and we have 2 cats, not 3. lol)

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Update and more questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:35:01 pm »
pics?

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:40:29 am »
Thanks all! Baby wipes, huh? Think I still have some of those from the human toddler days!

Will update after the vet!

Mary

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:45:00 pm »
Awwww, welcome Cooper!  What a gorgeous guy he is!  I have to 2nd, 3rd or ? pumpkin advice.  We've also used it with good results.  Also, if you have the stomach for it, you can buy a clipper and use it to maintain his potty patch yourself.  I have a clipper that I use to keep my pups hiney's clipped so they stay clean and I also use it to clip the fur between their pads so that they don't slip on our hard floors in between the area rugs & runners, since that's so hard on their joints.  It's a very handy tool for life with a big furry buddy!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 01:50:26 pm »
Thanks again, everyone! Cooper had a good vet appt - 109 lbs even though they checked that twice (!). We are going back tomorrow for a couple of vax's (Lepto, Bortadella, Lyme) as I wanted to think about those a bit. 

Right now he's enjoying a Bully Stick after being brushed out...ahhhh. ;)

So he had a poop yesterday, soft but not as soft and not as stinky. None yet today but I'm still hopeful. The vet thinks the walk may just be his walk. The breeder can't remember him doing it, so the jury is out. I guess I'll just watch and see.

He's brightening up, gave two small "woof's" today and actually played an engaged game of tug with my husband, so I think he's starting to understand that he's home.

Thanks again!

Mary

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:09:08 pm »
Maybe he expressed his glands?  Ours do that every now and then and well have to use a wet cloth to clean them in that area...

Maybe I'm just getting older and sappier.... but I will say these two that we have seem a lot more sensitive than any other breed of dog that I remember, and more in-tune to your emotions, etc... so it makes sense to me that a pup as sensitive as a newf would have soft poops and be a bit out-of-character when being placed into a whole new environment.  They really are wonderful animals, and you're probably in your honeymoon stage.. the fellow will probably be zooming around and chewing shoes, etc before you know it :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”