Author Topic: Heartbreak and Healing  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Heartbreak and Healing
« on: June 02, 2009, 07:58:31 am »
Our hearts were broken on April 20th when Slugger, our Saint Bernard X, passed away in his sleep at the age of 11 years  :'(.  We really were so blessed to have been able to have him for all those years.  Slugger was amazing and we so miss him.  He loved us all and was very protective of our girls and myself but my husband was his guy.  We always knew when my husband was just about home as Slugger would cock his ear, get up and head to the door with his tail just a wagging and begging us to go out so he could give his dad the proper welcome home.  I don’t know how he heard him, but he knew when that diesel was headed up the hill home.  When we were all out, every time we all came home he would be sitting on a small bank next to house under the lilac tree.  He had a great view of the dirt road to see us coming home.  You would see him sitting there, watching and waiting and then start running to greet us.  Because it was his favourite place to sit and watch for us, that is the spot were we buried him.  We can know that he is still watching out for us there. 

So, as with all heartbreak the healing must start, so in our case it is now with Daisy, our 7 week old, mastiff x Saint Bernard.  We have had her 3 days now and she is just such a sweetheart.  Poor Otis is not too sure of her and is bravely putting up with her, thou rolling his eyes a lot.  Honestly, who knew a Pyr could roll his eyes??  I think that he is more put out by the fact that with his buddy Slugger gone he has to be the adult now, and is now learning what a pain in the old boys butt he was the past 2 years, with his constant bugging, wrestling and tag playing.  So now the puppy fun begins and hopefully we will all survive  ;).

So the first picture is our dear old boy Slugger.  RIP big guy, we miss you.  The next 2 pictures are of Daisy.
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Jodi and the pack

Re: Heartbreak and Healing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:17:22 am »
I am so sorry for the passing of Slugger, but it looks as though that cute little Miss Daisy will bring some smiles back into your household.  She's adorable!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Heartbreak and Healing
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 12:51:16 am »
A very pretty girl too!  Congrats