Author Topic: Fargo is being a JERK!! need advice  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Fargo is being a JERK!! need advice
« on: June 03, 2009, 11:55:50 am »
Mr Fargo (now 10 months old and still intact) has suddenly decided that he's the man and that he no longer has to do what he's told and it's really wearing thin!  It's not horrible but still bad enough that I took him back to a basic obedience class.  Frankly, that's been a disaster.  He won't sit.  He lies down and won't get up.  He basically drags along through the class like he's on a death march. 

I know that some of this behavior is to be expected due to his age but I need advice on keeping him in line until his hormones level out.

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

lins_saving_grace

Re: Fargo is being a JERK!! need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 01:42:40 pm »
Is this phase different with males? Grace was a bit stubborn at that age too.  I was married then and my then husband was a complete Ahole about training.  He knocked a lot of the backtalk out of them with his loud mouth.  When  she  gets stubborn now, i distract her from whatever it is on her mind with a poke on the neck or a pat on the butt.   I used to carry a whistle to get her attention.  Sometimes I carry a squeeker.  noise seems to work for her to get her back on track.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 02:38:26 pm »
This is the first intact male dog I've had but I can tell you that neither of my girls acts like this.  He's really pretty good at home but seems to think the rules don't apply out in public.

What's on his mind seems to be doing as little as possible when asked.  You have a point though.  I'll try using the clicker again to see if that reminds him that he's supposed to be working!

typical male....trying to get out of working.  :)
i need to get a clicker.  till i do, the little squeeker from a destroyed toy will do.  she loves her squeeker.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 02:42:21 pm »
Pretty sure I have a squeaker thingy laying around somewhere.  It's worth a try too.

Grace will hear it...stand at attention...th en go looking for it.  FYI...there is NOT enough room in your pocket for a BPO head.