Author Topic: Too much protein  (Read 6114 times)

lins_saving_grace

Too much protein
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:36:04 am »
Dr. Hottie's office called me today.   Grace had her shots Wednesday and they took blood tests too (given her high kidney levels last year.)   Her levels are good and things are checking out nicely.   They do want her kidney levels down more a bit more.   So the next bag of dog food will be the senior formula of Iams.  It has far less protein and fewer calories in it.   That should do the trick. 
I've never regreted getting her off that Purina.  I can't believe how much it affected her innerds.  I've never had a problem like this with any other dog I've had.  I really hope Lady is doing well.   Last time I saw her during my divorce she was on Purina.  If Grace is having this issue, I would think Lady would too. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:36:37 am by Lin »

lins_saving_grace

Re: Too much protein
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:26:24 am »
less than the normal adult portions in normal foods I guess.   they said they have a supplement i can use on her food to do something with the protein in the food, but they think I can just get a food without much protein in it, hence the senior food.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:27:33 am by Lin »

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 06:35:18 am »
They recommend giant breed dog food just for that reason - it has lower protein 21 - 23%. It is what I feed the girls.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:50:18 pm »
Iams does have a large breed formula.   the vet says that the senior food will have less protein than that.   he said her levels were a lot better than when she was tested while on that Purina, so I'm not freeking out about it.   he's concerned about her weight too...the winter buldge.  She really holds her pounds.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:06:45 pm »
According to the Iams website their senior dog food is 24%, their large breed weight control has the lowest I could find at 20%.  The California Natural food I use is only 21%, and is a quality dog food, iams, IMO is no better than purina.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:13:48 pm by ruffian »