Author Topic: can anyone gimme advice on why my dog wants to eat everything? -nicki  (Read 13632 times)

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone gimme advice on why my dog wants to eat everything? -nicki
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2005, 06:49:33 am »
I think one of the most important things NOT to do is soothe Angus when he is scared of something because he interprets it as praise, so you might as well just be telling him that is ok for him to behave in that manner.
  My Dobie Ace has fear aggression I have to deal with it EVERYDAY, he is 5 yrs/old now and it has gotten better but it is definitely still there.  I think the best thing to do is to start off small like maybe having just one thing that he is scared of at a time and work with him on that instead of a whole bunch of things at once.  The problem is that if he is bombarded with too many things that is scared of all at once it is just too overwhelming for him to deal with it.  This matter needs to be addressed asap or else he will turn to full out biting to deal with his stresses if he gets pushed to the limit.

This shouldn't be a problem for you Nicki...lol... . to stand really firm if someone wants to pet him and you tell them not to, they should respect that or get bitten, plain and simple.  Ace has some genetic behavioural issues but I have learnt how to deal with them and it has come down to the fact that it is up to ME if he bites someone or not,  I now know exactly how to prevent it by reading Ace's body language. I've done a great deal of reasearch and I have taken Ace to a behaviourist to deal with his problems.

I hope this helps and good luck with Angus :)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 11:01:19 am »
This may be totally irellavant.. but here goes.  Our macaw Cookie Monster is scared of stuff a lot of times, like a new toy, a new appliance, or whatever.. usually something odd.  Mel & I totally ignore Cookie and interact with the item .. whooping and hollering and acting like we are having the best of times, with our back turned to him.  He can't stand it! and curiosity will get the best of him, fear or not, he will have to come check it out... and hey, its not so bad.  Thats how we get over his fear stuff anyways, but hey he's a bird, so maybe wouldn't work the same.  We just don't coddle him when he is afraid, so that his fear is not rewarded.

Not irrelevent at all Brandon!....I hadn't thought of that last night..Both you & Jaime ar absolutely correct in not coddling the fear...I'd almsot forgotten that Samson's 2nd trainer also did a private consultation with Sam before we signed up for classes...Samm y was afraid of people...It took Paul 45 minutes that day to get anywhere near Sammy & that was in a small room...He kept shaking his head & saying "Sammy has issues"...lol...Anywa y, with this piece of advise & almost constant socialization, when Sam started the classes over a month later Paul couldn't believe he was the same dog!...When we came upon someone & Samson showed fear (which he allways did) I made a big production out of very happily & excititedly saying "Who is it Sam"? & approaching the person like it was no thing...I was to totally ignore Sam's fear as far as coddling goes but of coarse not force the issue either....When we walked out of there today & I tried it with people walking into the building it worked immediatly!...Now he didn't run up for a pet & ear scratch...lol. ...but he didn't bark or growl either...I had his interest...It was really amazing!...I couldn't wait to get out & try it & it definitly worked!

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 01:01:03 pm »
Nicki,
Your dog is in a new place and a bit confused, and frightened, by the new sights and smells. He will come around, but in the mean time you need to be vigilant that he dooesn't harm anyone. Our big dogs can feel our apprehension, it travels down the lead, and they receive the wrong information, thinking they should protect us, rather than relax and go with the flow.
Tulsa acted the same way when we moved to our new digs, it took a couple of weeks to bring her around, but now she's fine. She still barks, and growls at strange sounds and activities outside, but that's what her instincts tell her to do, and I accept that.
Training, through positive reinforcement, is a lifetime commitment to our big dogs. They look to us for love and guidance, we look to them for love and companionship.
A dog is only as good as its' Master allows it to be.
That said, I think I'll have a drink. It's gotta be cocktail time somewhere!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 01:11:52 pm »
John.... That pic is sooooo great. Is she diving in the bucket or trying to grab it lol :D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 01:16:07 pm »
Lol - yep I have my poop picking up outfit..all in black with the flashlight..I look like the poop burgler...lmao ...

I do try and give praise and pets in pack order.  When I come home the poms get more attention and Willow waits a minute...The sitting for everything does really help... We are going to start working on stay next

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 01:23:42 pm »
Willow is such a good girl, I am sure she will get it. On a side note, how are your poms with willow or other big dogs for that matter? Malin who has been totally messed up by nickers.... and now want a small dog hehe has several breeds she is looking at. Mojos, poms, chinese crested, papillon, yorky and pug I have yet not decided if there will be a little dog or not, but have promised to at least look into the different breeds, what health issues they have, the disposition in general and how they tend to be with big dogs. So if you want to share I would appreciate  :D

Marit

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 01:58:16 pm »
Marit - everyone is getting along really good...they don't really play with her.  Gunner is pushing 10 yrs old and has now tolerance for puppy B.S.  So he growls etc  but Willow is allowed to get closer to him without too much grief.  Irie, my female 5 yr old pom, gets jealous over toys etc.  She will put Willow in her place when she gets to rowdy, but they do occasionally run around in the back yard.  I think it would be better if the poms were a little bit younger.  I just watch close when Willow is in her playful puppy mood...but so far everyone is not to bad...  And I think it will just keep getting better and better.  But my daughter has decided we need another big dog so Willow will be able to play equally...  You may be getting a little dog and I will be getting another big dog....  We are looking at a Newf (I love the Landseers)  but not for 6 mos or more..just want to get Willow out of the small pup stage 1st...  We will see..doesn't help that I love Newfies....

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 02:09:29 pm »
I would so much rather be getting another big one lol..... I can already feel how worried Id be all the time, I mean what if Galahad or Hera decide to put a paw on its head just in play but their feet are probably heavier than a mojo  :-\ They are good with the kittens, but sometimes when they want to play with them and do the "booom booom baaabooom" and almost stomp on them before they can hit the breaks I get so afraid that one day they would actually not be able to stop and land with both front feet on top of them. That would make for a very flat squeeky toy

Ohhhh I really hope she gets over this, and wants something big, like a mastiff or dane hehe

marit

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2005, 02:41:09 pm »
Lol - yep I have my poop picking up outfit..all in black with the flashlight..I look like the poop burgler...lmao ...

The Poop Ninja!!
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2005, 02:46:20 pm »
Little dogs i think are very good at letting big dogs know their boundries...mi ne snap and growl when they feel threatened.  I like having little dogs too....  Maybe get one that is not so little... like one who weighs 15 lbs over one who weighs 3 lbs.... Poms are very very cute but have big tudes...they don't call them the "little kings" for nothing.

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2005, 04:05:28 pm »
Tulsa was playing with a Jack Russel today that was real 'Fiesty', he wanted to mate, she wanted to romp. It was funny watching him move away, AIR F@%KING, while she ran up and pushed him over with a big paw, then went submissive so he could chew on her.
I think a JR would be a great addition to a BIG DOG family.
And, yes Marit, Tulsa tossed the bucket into the air and then tried to dive through it!
Goofy Dog!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2005, 04:35:07 pm »

You probably need more help with this issue than we can offer here.

You need to figure out a couple of things:

1) what sets him off

2) how close he has to get to these things to get the reaction.

Then you start by taking him ALMOST to the point where he will respond, but not quite. As soon as he shows interest, ears up, glance, stare, whatever, using the collar and leash, turn him directly away from what he was looking at, as you say AH AH. Ask him to do a simple command, such as sit, and give him a really good food reward.

Each time he focuses on the person, object, dog, or whatever, say AHAH, turn him physically away from it, ask for his attention, command him to sit, or some other simple command he knows, and reward him for doing it.

It takes a LOT of time, but dogs can be desensitized to things in this manner if you are consistent.

You are going to HAVE to learn how to tell people "STAY BACK THIS DOG BITES" and MEAN IT.

If someone asks to pet him, say NO, he is in training, and he WILL bite.

It might sound harsh or unfriendly, but it is much better than having your dog bite someone and end up as a statistic.

Best of luck with him, and I would strongly advise you to find a good trainer/behaviorist in your area to work with.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline billybooker

• Gnawer
  • Cocoa by the fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2005, 05:54:16 pm »
As Jaimie has mentioned, it sounds like your dog is becoming fear aggressive. I am dealing with this problem myself, and have consulted with many experts.  There are a few important things that you must understand. First is that you shouldn't be harsh or use choke chains etc. to try to correct this problem. Try not to yell or get overly upset when something sets him off. Dogs have two responses to something that they are afraid of: Fight(Bite) or Flight (Run away) He would probably prefer to run from something that he is afraid of, but if he is trapped such as being on a leash, than you are leaving him with only one option: Fight or Bite. You must assume at this time that he would bite someone so that you are extra careful during this retraining phase. It will take a combination of training and management at this point to help him. Please try to remember also to keep a cool head, because it will get on your nerves and upset you most certainly. A dog will read your stress and frustration and it will make him more stressed. Try to stay calm. OK-let's get down to business. Start to hand-feed your dog each meal for the next year while practicing obedience-this will establish your alpha role. Also, try to bring your dog for hard exercise (ie. fetch, or swimming) in a secluded or enclosed area (ie. empty ball field) where there aren't other dogs or people. When people come to your house, you may want to crate him, or put him in a room until the people are in and sitting down (until things are calm) then let him approach people on his own terms. You can also give visitors treats. You may want to incorporate a muzzle to be used during short periods of known stress just for protection.  As far as introducing him to new situations, you must always give him space. With dogs, space is everything. Something that bothers him at 20 feet, may not bother him at 30 feet.  Dogs have their own comfort distance for everything.  Start just in your driveway  (at the back) and always keep treats on hand- the goal is to have the dog react less and less to things over time as you are able to move closer and closer. Only work for about 15 minutes a day or your dog will become tired and irritable. For example, start in the back of your driveway, a good distance from the road, and when something passes that you know will stress him, try to get him to sit and if the distance is good than he won' t react and you can give a treat. If he reacts than you know you have to move further back. Once you know his comfort distance, then as he is calm you can move a bit closer step by step each day-take it slow. If he does react to something try to laugh and use your happy voice. If you yell or punish, he will just associate that "bike or person or dog" with him getting in trouble and it will be even harder to retrain. Always make light of it and move away from the stressor. Call him to you and get him doing some basic commands to get him more focused on you. A fear aggressive dog is not the same as a dominance aggressive dog, however, they do have some commonalities-such as the way the appear. A fear aggressive dog may appear to want to attack everything, but usually, they are afraid and are doing the only thing they know how to do. (On-leash fear aggression is very common) The last thing for now is that you probably should make a vet appointment to see if there are other underlying reasons for his behaviour. The vet may chose to use medication to help, but I was advised by vets specialized in aggression issues not to use anxiety and prozac type medications as it can remove the fear, and then you just have an aggressive dog without the fear inhibition. You can however try some bach flower remedies-these are natural flower essences that help people and pets with emotional problems. You probably should stop taking him for walks down the street for a while until the problem is more manageable. You also may want to refrain from any obedience class-it will not help your problem and can make things worse. Many trainers do not know how to deal with fear aggressive dogs. A class environment is very stressful. If you can find a knowledgeable trainer giving a small class (2-4 dogs) with much space then give it a try, but be careful he may not be ready for that yet. (Trust me I speak from experience) Work with him in a low stress environment, and if you must take him for walks down the street, try to move to the opposite side of the road (make an arc) from people and other dogs and bikes etc. (Don't let anyone approach-remember that a reaching hand is a threat to some dogs-and they will bite) You have to be alert and see the trigger before he does. Your dog is not a terrible dog who deserves to euthanized, he just needs some extra care and work on your part. I think you should get some books on fear aggression and reactivity in dogs, and consult a dog behaviorist specialized in aggression if you can.
This is a complicated problem to deal with, but can be done, with some understanding and lots of patience on your part. You have to understand that he may never be a "normal" dog, but can still live a happy life. It's worth a try. If you have any questions please let me know.
Good Luck.
Jennifer W

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2005, 07:35:10 pm »
John..... Tulsa is a beauty, I used to have a GS, a male called Liston. I do love my giants but sometimes I miss having a dog to actually work with, okay lol.... that didnt come out right hehe. Hmmm just that working with a mastiff or a dane is very different from working with a GS, totally different type of dog, I enjoy both kinds but it still cant be helped that I miss the one kind I dont have right now. Did that make any sense.....  ;D

Marit

nickerbokker

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2005, 08:28:58 pm »
no marit it didn't

;)