Author Topic: Back from the Kennel ... advice requested  (Read 5696 times)

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Back from the Kennel ... advice requested
« on: July 02, 2009, 02:47:30 pm »
Hiya!

We put our three dogs in a great kennel for a week while we went on vacation.  This was the first visit for two of our dogs and the second for Fable, who hadn't been kenneled in seven years ...

Fable (9 year old husky mix female) came home and has been drinking a ton of water and peeing often and a lot!  This is not 'normal' behavior for her and has been going on now for one week.

She is eating fine, acting normal, playing, etc ... and there is no blood in the urine, no unusual odor ... just frequency and duration along with the huge thirst.

She has an appt to see the vet tomorrow afternoon ... but I'm wondering what advice I might get here ... could it just be an odd readjustment to being back home?  Because she's showing NO OTHER SIGNS of any illness or issue.

Thanks for any thoughts ...

Lacey
Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male

Offline lucyswoman

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Back from the Kennel ... advice requested
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:30:20 pm »
Your vet will surly know what is going on,  but my first thoughts would be a mild kidney infection or UTI. Lucy gets UTIs when under stress, if we don't keep her parts clean, and sometimes from change in diet.  My jack russell was diagnosed with kidney problems around 5 years ago and that was how she was acting, but was also peeing in her sleep.  Because of her kidneys, the last time we went away I hired a friend to stay in the house.  When we got back Tia had a kidney infection, tonsillitis and a high fever. I thought she was going to die.  I had actually hired someone to stay in the house with the dogs. Then found out she kept them in a separate room, gave them no attention and when I went into the room the water bowl was bone dry!  They would have been much better off at a kennel where at least they would have had the entertainment of other dogs. You can also inspect a kennel better than you can someones heart. Anyway, sorry to natter on -but, I figured you would already be worried if you thought it was her kidney's, so I just wanted to tell you that my jack who was so sick, was just fine with TLC and antibiotics. And antibiotics clear Lucy's UTI's right up.

I guess I should have started a new thread called worst pet sitter experiences.

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:37:46 pm »
Thanks!

The reason I'm not feeling that it is TOO serious is the fact that she's acting (eating) so normal otherwise ... and she just had a full vet checkup on June 6th (before going to the kennel) and was in great health!

The kennel people were wonderful.  Before we chose them I talked to her on the phone several times, we emailed back and forth for weeks, my husband and I inspected the kennel and met everyone and the place was so clean and the animals there (borders and owner's dog) were so LOVED and HAPPY!

Plus when she went to get my dog bowls the day we picked them up, all three had to be emptied since they were full!  Great sign ...

I'm going to see what the vet says ... oh any suggestions on getting a urine sample ... this should be FUN!
Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male

Offline Morweena

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 06:03:57 pm »
Ruby just came down with kennel cough (yes she's vacinated as are all the dogs at her daycare)
and her first symptoms were drinking tons of water, then extra sleep and finally the "i have a hair ball" cough  - it took almost a week before she started coughing

Just saying you never know

Marion
Ruby - bullmastiff/malamute