Author Topic: Have any of you had your dogs hips replaced?  (Read 13305 times)

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Have any of you had your dogs hips replaced?
« on: July 13, 2009, 06:11:32 am »
Our french mastiff is now three years old. He is on a regimen of three bufferin a day. It helps for a little while but by evening he won't put any weight on his back legs. As you can guess he has hip displaysia.
Any thoughts, ideas,
we are very sad and upset about this. Our insurance does not cover this,
I hate the thought of him being in constant pain
thanks guys
Rachel in Vt

Offline lucyswoman

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Have any of you had your dogs hips replaced?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:39:25 am »
I don't really know anything to help you, but I am sorry you and your fella are having to go through such a hard situation. It is hard seeing someone you love in pain. Please take care

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:46:15 am »
Is he on glucosamine?  How is his weight?  Things to add to his food to help are glucosamine, yucca, hyaluronic acid, msm, fish oils.  Not cures but will help with the pain.  Another thing to try are Adequan injections- for some dogs they are like a miracle - a super glucosamine the injection is given about once a month and only costs $30 for a giant breed.  There are of course anti-inflammatory drugs your vet can prescribe as well.  For surgical options there are lesser procedures that may help with the pain as well.  You should set up an orthopedic consult to check out all your options.

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:17:57 am »
We have made an appointment with a different vet for a second opinion. Maximus gets three bufferin in the morning and three at night. His weight is good, he weighs 135lbs. He walks well but of course is lame afterwards.
No easy answers with this dog.
I will have hubby ask about the injections though.
thanks
Rachel

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:53:53 am »
Aspirin can cause GI ulcers when used for a long time although all drugs do have side effects.  Such a young dog to be having these problems.  Don't know how big he is but he should be kept on the thin side to get the weight off his hips  Keeping them very lean is one of the cornerstones of medical treatment for hip dysplasia.  Also additives to his food really do help- these are even used in human medicine - takes a few weeks to notice the difference though.  Good luck on your next vet appointment

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:02:52 pm »

I have not had to deal with this in my own dogs, but given the rescue I do, I see it all the time and just rescued a Berner pup that will be requiring hip surgery.

It really all comes down to how severe the dysplasia is - your dog should be evaluated by a Board certified orthopedic surgeon, not a regular vet.  Vets are not radiologists and not trained to diagnose dysplasia ( I have yet to find one who has rendered a diagnosis accurate).  Ideally, you would get his hips certified by either OFA or PennHip and you will then understand exactly the severity in each hip.

If severe, surgey may be the only option for a decent quality of life.  Both the TPO (Triple Pelvic Osteotomy) and total hip replacement have their place depending on age, condition, amount of arthritic change, and muscle tone.

Less severe cases can do quite well with many of the things Patrick outlined - he should be on glucosamine and chondroitin every day for life (I like Synflex best for optimal absorption), as well as Adequan shots potentially.  I also use Zeel and Traumeel, Wobenzym, Celadrin, and Hyarluronic Acid.  Physical therapy, including swimming or underwater treadmill maintains synovial fluid in the joints without putting any pressure on his hips.....a great form of exercise for such guys.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 06:16:49 am »
Maximus went to his new vet. She gave him a shot of Adequan and he will have one a month for four months. He is also on a prescription of meloxicam and she wants him to have 1500 mg of glucosamine a day. Did someone say that the human kind is o.k. I am thinking of getting the kind that you scoop into his food.
She is going to talk to a doctor who used to do an operation where they snipped a certain muscle rather than replace the hips. We are looking at all the options.
It was a very good visit.
Rachel

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:24:04 am »
I use Arthrisoothe Gold which I get from KV Vet  It is the horse version and contains all the good stuff like msm etc.  Very concentrated a tablespoon a day contains full dose and it only costs about $70 for the year  Dogs love the taste too

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 12:24:14 pm »

She is going to talk to a doctor who used to do an operation where they snipped a certain muscle rather than replace the hips. We are looking at all the options.
It was a very good visit.
Rachel

Your dog is not a candidate for this procedure - in fact, at his age, and his size he is not a candidate for the FHO OR the TPO procedure.  His only surgical option at this age is total hip replacement:

http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/vmth/sa.surgery/HipDysplasia.htm

If he has been diagnosed as a puppy, he could have had other procedure before any arthritic change set in.  Alway get your large breed puppies x-rayed and certified for this very reason - early diagnosis is key.

You can use human glucosamine products - in fact they're better.  The liquids are best, and glucosamine should be given away from food for maximum absorption.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:20:40 pm »
my uncle had a hip replacement done on his rot, the surgery was like 9000.00 and the dogs body rejected the hip and he had to be put down, i know its a really bad thing to hear but just so you know, surgery doesnt always fix it....

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 06:24:50 am »
I haven't touched base for awhile. I wanted to make sure I had something to write about. Maximus had his adequan shot and will have another in a week or so. He has had his glucosamine upped in amount.
Oh my gosh, my puppy is so much happier. He isn't lame at night after running around, The pain med he is on everyday is helping so much,
I will keep you posted as time goes on. You guys are so smart, I really appreciate all your honest and compassionate help
thanks
Rachel

Offline poulou

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 06:10:33 am »
Maximus has had his second injection of Adequan. It seems to really be helping him. He is able to take his pain med every other day now. I am seeing a big change in him. He is much less grumpy than he was.
We will not have surgery done on him. It is too much of a gamble and for now this seems to be working.
I truly appreciate everyones input on this
You guys are great
Rachel