Author Topic: SOOOOOOOOOO many questions!!!  (Read 14017 times)

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
SOOOOOOOOOO many questions!!!
« on: July 16, 2009, 06:38:15 pm »
the story

my name is liz, and this is my brand new newf!!!

his name is rota, hes 3 months old (born april 1st 2009) and he weighs exactly 50 LBS, i bought rota from a website called puppyfind.com (i had trouble finding a breeder in my area and thats where i got my other dog from, hes an australian shephard) the breeder allowed me to make payments for him, (took me about 6 weeks to pay off the 1625.00 he cost me) but she was very buisy and wasnt around to answer most of my questions. when i received rota i was very unhappy becaused his hair appeared to be mated and unbrused and i found 3 ticks on his head, he has a 2 year health guarentee, and he is akc registered.Ive had him for 5 days now

here are my questions (im looking for a vet in my area that has experience with giant breed dogs, hes going on my next pay check in two weeks just so every one knows)

ok first off, i did my research befor i got him, ive always wanted a newfoundland, but i couldnt always have a big dog, even the akc website forgot to mention how bad they are when there puppies, he chews EVERY THING, he chews the table the chairs the carpet, my clothes my shoes ME, THE WALL you name it, it will find its way to rota mouth,  he starts his obedience training at petco this saturday!!!

how gentle should i be with him? when i need him to move (hes very clumsy and seems to fall over his own feet, he runs in to stuff and falls down, trys to walk through the screen door...) like if i push him to move him? or if i lift his legs? or when i play with him, will that cause damage to his bones and joints?

how often does your puppy poop? (lol) rota goes once a day even though i feed him 2 cups of food twice a day, is this normal? when cosby was a puppy (my aussie) he pooped like ALL DAY

what is the best way to correct him? he barks all night and i say "rota NO" in a stern voice, and he just bounces around, and keeps on barking!!!

also i fear that he maybe or become dog agressive, he trys to mount my aussie, and as you may no aussies are very dominant, so cosby thinks he wants to fight and is ready to strike i can never leave them alone, do you think he may also have a dominant personality?

thanks guys!!!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: SOOOOOOOOOO many questions!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 07:01:32 pm »
Hi well you are talking to the right person,my name is mary lee we have Saints maggie is full grown! she is Great!know we lost molly two mo, ago very sad she was 4 she had Bloat, we just got a new Saint pup! his name is Beethovn He is 10 weeks old and is 45 pounds should be still be Feed 3 times a day He is going to vet tomarrow i will ask we keep him in a large kennel at night when he naps, needs training we have a fence yard, and Elertic frence Don't give to much can food large breed puppy food, yes be carful of Bones walking up and down use a lease, Don't let him run Down stairs really get hurt and those chewy stips no no any thing they can chok on a rang is best a platic Bottle is better, puppy biss, ok long long Rohides ok ask me i grew up with saints love them!!!Good luck with your new pup he is Gorgous!!!marylee!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 07:15:55 pm »
ive been putting him in a crate at night but he howls!!! and im doing my best to ignore it, to tell you the truth i havent slept since i got him,

ive been giving him bully sticks to chew and monitoring him when he has them,

so i should feed 3 times a day? i really have no idea how much they should eat, hes not skinny but when you feel his sides you can fee his ribs but  when your not touching him he apears to be fat, right now hes eating nutro brand large breed puppy food, thats what the breeder was feeding him but im switching him to eagle pack holistic giant breed puppy formula, i think he eats to fast to, he gets hickups every time he eats, that can cause blot cant it?

btw 10 weeks and 45lbs?! i think my rota is 12 weeks and 50lbs so they are very close in size

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 07:17:42 pm »
oh and does any one know what i can do about him mounting my other dog?

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:57:53 pm »
Welcome to puppyhood!  They do chew on everything- its not the breed it is the age - your job as the 'parent' is to find him enough different things to chew on that are appropriate  I give my puppies cardboard boxes, plastic bottles, big bones of all shapes sizes and flavors, rawhides tons of stuffed toys big plastic bags etc.  Pretty much everything gets cycled through the pups first before putting in the trash. Your other big challenge is to see that he gets enough exercise throughout the day - a tired puppy is a good puppy (and will also sleep at night :>)  Where is his crate- it should be in your room ideally

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 08:59:00 pm »
yep hes got about a dozen toys scattered around the room when he starts to chew the wall or some other random thing i tell him no and give him a toy,

the crate is in my room, which is why the barking and howling is sooooooo annoying,

his first night here he decided 4 am was a good time to wake up for the day and to bark, it was my day off so i got up and walked him, he went on 5 walks that day (short walks) and he was still going strong!

im taking him swimming tomorrow, wel see how he likes it,

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 09:48:12 pm »
let me ask one thing is he a newF? I am not sure due his color he is so cute, one thing I will tell you to help him sleep ours we got at seven weeks and sleeps all night take him out side for a walk for bed 9pm is good time for bed let him run around the house,and if he had let over food put it in kennel,they eat better in one place,try to keep him in there for as long as u can,he needs attention!!he is a baby!How big is he to get large Breeds have Growing pains, ml our new pup could be 175!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 05:57:35 am »
Yep this is a Landseer which is a Newf!  Beautiful pup BTW and in spite of your ammoyance with the breeder is in beautiful condition too!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 06:14:28 am »
I love the Color i have never saw one like that,the last i saw one it was the oposite white head, you see the Breeder we got our saint from Home raised the pups,and it really helped,he is more then likly crying for love,I am a big Animal person try having the kennel in your room,Give him Affection,they like cold floors too,ours plays to couple hours its nap time!he like lots of kisss you have to take him out meet peaple,He will have respect for you put a leash on him best thing also feed him in the kennel i will try to send pic of my guy today,have a Day,marylee!

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 06:55:42 am »
oh yeah hes a purbred, i have pictures of his parents to, there weight can range any where between 120 and 180, ive seen some get bigger but who knows,

thats why i wasnt so mad at the breeder, hes absoutly georgious!! his head is nice and big, he has a perfect muzzel and his ears cut off right at his jaw exactly the way he should, and right now he stands 19 inches at the shoulder

id love to see your puppy :D

Offline NewfieMama

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:30:39 am »
19 inches already, wow, big boy! :)

Congratulation s, he is adorable!

Agree with Patrick on the chewing, that's just a puppy thing. You do want to be careful when playing with him/moving him around, don't let him jump on/off anything high or go up/down stairs when he's this small.

There are some good books out there. I found The Newfoundland: Gentle Giant to be a nice helpful book to start out with. There are lots of others. I found mine on www.dogwise.co m which is a great website with lots of resources for training and owning dogs.

There are also good websites; I like this particular breeder's site because I think she's clear and keeps it simple for a good start. She does advocate the raw diet, though, so you'll probably need to find your feeding info elsewhere.

http://www.denalinewf.com/care.html

Do you have a good vet who regularly cares for giant breed dogs? Is there a Newfoundland Club of America chapter in your area? You may want to contact the nearest one to gather local resources on vet, training, supplies etc. and also just to say hi and introduce your beautiful new Landseer boy!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Mary

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 03:06:17 pm »
19 inches already, wow, big boy! :)

Congratulation s, he is adorable!

Agree with Patrick on the chewing, that's just a puppy thing. You do want to be careful when playing with him/moving him around, don't let him jump on/off anything high or go up/down stairs when he's this small.

There are some good books out there. I found The Newfoundland: Gentle Giant to be a nice helpful book to start out with. There are lots of others. I found mine on www.dogwise.co m which is a great website with lots of resources for training and owning dogs.

There are also good websites; I like this particular breeder's site because I think she's clear and keeps it simple for a good start. She does advocate the raw diet, though, so you'll probably need to find your feeding info elsewhere.

http://www.denalinewf.com/care.html

Do you have a good vet who regularly cares for giant breed dogs? Is there a Newfoundland Club of America chapter in your area? You may want to contact the nearest one to gather local resources on vet, training, supplies etc. and also just to say hi and introduce your beautiful new Landseer boy!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Mary

hes already biger than my ausie, cosby is 3 and only weighs 35 lbs, and is 17 inches tall, i just got a bag of eagle pack holistic large and giant breed puppy food, i read this very awesome article about it and thats what made me want to use this food

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/do_i_need_to_use_a_puppy_food.htm

(read the part that says "do i need to use a puppy food? or a large breed/giant food")

any who, im looking for a vet im not sure how to find a good one though, i thought about calling around but im not sure if they will lie just to get a new customer

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 06:52:55 pm »
how Do you post pic i am having a problem with my camera?ml,

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 08:09:23 pm »
do you have a photo bucket account? its free, go to photobucket.co m and make an account you can up load either a picture from you picture file on your computer or take it straight off the camera

once you have the pic in photobucket run your curser over it and copy the "img" code, paste it here

=)

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 04:15:04 am »
thanks!alot!ml!