Author Topic: my breeder sucks.....  (Read 9856 times)

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
my breeder sucks.....
« on: August 11, 2009, 05:20:42 am »
so ive had rota for about4 going on 5 weeks, the breeder never returns my calls, and i was kinda worried because she didnt sent me his vacination records or his akc registration, i had been waiting and waiting, so i asked her for his papers, (both by email and i left her a voice mail) no response, no phone call no email saying hey liz im kinda buisy i cant get em mailed out right away, so i waited, i called again a few days later, still no response,

every one was freaking out saying she was going to rip me off, and what if the dog wasnt even really purbred, my dogs trainer informed me that she was not a good breeder and was probaly just in it for the money,

i found her online and never actually met with her and i felt helpless,

so i left her a voice mail (she never answered my calls) and an email both stating the same thing, i paid 1625.00 for my dog, he was very expensive and i wanted his papers, i needed his vacinations for the obedience class HE WAS ALREADY IN, for grooming and the vet wants them, so i told her that if i didnt get his papers soon i would file a claim through pay pal and i would call her local police department (because i had no idea what i could do) she then rote me back saying OMG IM SO SORRY IL SHIP HIS PAPERS OUT TODAY, well 10 more days pass, no papers, so i call her and leave her a very mean voicemail about how i dont understand how hard it is to put an envelope in the mail box,

well FINALY yesterday i get his papers (still no vacination records) and she emails me and goes on to tell me how in all her years shes never had some one threathen to call the cops on her, and how insaulted she was, and that its not uncommon to wait more than 6 months to get the papers of a dog

was i wrong at wanting them that soon? or was she right? i dont see why any good breeder would keep some one waiting like that, or would not call them back or email them back i would have even been happy with a freakin text msg

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: my breeder sucks.....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:49:25 am »
Right, it's not uncommon to have to wait for registration papers BUT your "breeder" severely lacks good communication skills. 

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 03:48:11 pm »
still no vacination records either, in her LONG email she said she would be sending the vacination history as soon as she got home from a meeting this was 2 days ago, and still nothing.....

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 12:34:54 am »

More important than AKC papers or vaccination records, are health certifications .  Did she provide proof of hip, elbow, heart, eye, and thyroid clearances?  If not, yep - backyard breeder and there is nothing to justify that high price you paid.

If so, you are lucky (you never met her, saw the conditions of the dogs, or the parents) and paid a justifiable price given the investment she made.

Just ask her what vaccines were given so you know what not to duplicate (and risk health issues or side effects) and provide this info to your vet.  No big deal.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:53:36 am »
You can also go to OFFA.org and look up health clearances of the parents in the database- that is if any were done.  With your papers you now have the name and numbers of the parents to do this search.  I agree with SC- you just need the names and last dates of vaccines so you don't duplicate.  If done at the vet- you can also just contact her vets office and they will fax over the record  If the breeder does herself then you just need to know what they were

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 06:07:53 pm »
yeah thats all i wanted, i just want to know what he has had so i can know what he needs, the only thing she mentioned (on the phone when i was going to pick him up at the airport) i asked if he had his rabies yet and she said no, so he got that about 3 weeks ago, she wont return my emails or phone calls, i may never know

his parents were ofa of good hips and heart, well thats what her add said any way, i have both parents names and akc id number thing (not sure what its called)

she had good references, she has a guestbook with people who she has sold pups to, and they say things like "you have such a clean home" i didnt get to see her home but other people have...

i thought rota was the most beautiful pup, as soon as i saw his pic i knew he was mine,

oh, i had the vet listen to his heart when he went for his rabies shot, and watch him walk, she said he looked perfect in every way, if i had him ex rayed would this let me see if there would be a problem in the future?

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:03:20 pm »
im checking on the ofa thing, it says for the sire, there are 2 entrys one in 2004 that says cardiac and one in 2005 that says patella

for the dam there is nothing on file, so that means she wasnt tested? is this bad?

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 06:32:59 pm »
Is this breeder located in South Dakota?
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:04:41 pm »
If results for the hips are not there then they either werren't done or preliminaries (before 2 years old) were done.  It would be odd to go to the trouble of getting cardiac and patella but not get hips so look again to be sure  You also can research his relatives to see their hip scores as well 

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:27:37 pm »
im checking on the ofa thing, it says for the sire, there are 2 entrys one in 2004 that says cardiac and one in 2005 that says patella

for the dam there is nothing on file, so that means she wasnt tested? is this bad?

Unfortunately, it doesn't look good.  Patrick offered good info here, but in addition, the breeder has to check off on her submission whether "failing" results can be posted publicly on their site - if she did not authorize this, then it is also possible that what is missing is a failing result - and only good results are posted.  When I view OFA records online and see elbows but no hips for example, this is the standard presumption.  As Patrick mentioned, a breeder wouldn't do patellas, and not hips.....

So no results can mean not done, or done and failed with poor results.  Either way - a serious concern.

I recommend x-raying your pup - prelims are good indicators of future problems.  My golden rescue was x-rayed since I knew nothing of where she came from and the OFA told me she had elbow dysplasia.  She has never limped and we wouldn't have known otherwise, so fortunately it allowed me to begin treating her for this condition early, preventatively as a pup - lots of joint supplements and specific therapy exercises has kept her active and healthy.  Always a good idea in big dogs!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 07:32:36 pm »
oh my god, thank you so much i had no idea, there is so much i dont know, wow, i really really hope that my rota is fine, im going to talk to my vet about x raying him, is it expensive? can any vet do it? or does it have to be a specilist to know if his bones will form properly?

thank you so much for the heads up, i would have had no idea,

god.. i feel like calling the breeder

but she wont answer any way,