Author Topic: My dog was murdered last weekend  (Read 22810 times)

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
My dog was murdered last weekend
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:26:28 am »
See attached photo of dog with wife. Not quite 2 years old, 130 pounds. Pyrenees/Wolf? mix. He was deliberately sideswiped by a pickup truck last friday night after midnight. He was loose and "helping" the ol lady clean out a shed and ran after a loud speeding pickup(he hated them)before she could stop him. She saw them come over on the wrong side of the road to sideswipe him. I saw the marks and they did hit him over on the grass. I live on a pretty deserted country road with only 3 houses past me until it turns into  gravel and goes into a state forest. No one lives back there for miles. Got to talk to sheriff today and complain about speeders. No reason for this much traffic traveling at insane speeds down this way. Something is going on back in the woods on weekends, drinking parties maybe. Anyway my dog is gone and i'll never eat a coconut stack candy without thinking of the big dog who would knock you down for one. This will be my last post.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:27:02 am by truckerdave »

Offline samsmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: My dog was murdered last weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:37:15 am »
I'm so sorry. I know you just must be gutted. I would deff. talk to your Sheriff Dept. I too just 2 weeks ago lost my baby Sam to a pick up. But in fairness it was not the drivers fault. But to have someone deliberately hit your friend is just criminal. I hope that your heart heals and that in time you can give that love to another fur-baby. Again many blessings and hopefully some peace to you and your family
Chris

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:49:58 pm »
Thanks, i know the sheriff and i talked to him earlier today about the speeding vehicles. Not much i can do about them hitting my dog, can't prove it even though the ol lady saw it. At least it was a dog they killed and not a child. I gave the sheriff a description of the worst of the speeding vehicles, the one that hit the dog. Teenagers, of course. They now know someone saw them and they haven't been back down this way. Not going into details, but i believe as far as the local residents are concerned, this might be somewhat akin to hitting John Gotti's dog. To put it mildly, i'm not generally looked upon as being a particularly nice guy.  LOL

Offline Pyrlove

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:53:08 pm »
I am so sorry for your dogs Samsmom and Trucker BUT WHY? WHY? where your dogs running loose? No matter where you live you can always use underground fencing IF you care  :-\

Offline samsmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 06:24:16 pm »
I am so sorry for your dogs Samsmom and Trucker BUT WHY? WHY? where your dogs running loose? No matter where you live you can always use underground fencing IF you care  :-\

I don't/didn't let Sam run loose. He got out of his yard, where he had a fence and a long line. He pulled his head out of his collar. And pushed under the fence.I never left him totally un-attended but for a few minutes at a time. I had just put him out to dig in his hole and checked on him after getting my coffee. about 5-10 min. Sam, was deaf so we saw him headed down the hill and tried to run to catch him. But he out ran us to the street about 1/8 mile down the road. He ran right in front of a Pickup that couldn't stop or see in the fog. Sam couldn't hear him. I watched that dog like one of my actual skin-children. I loved him and always will. So it was not like we "let" him run loose. I have never had this happen and I have had dogs all my life. I'm sorry if I sound mad, but I am and to suggest to someone that has recently lost a beloved friend that they didn't care enough or do enough is just harsh and cruel.

Chris

Offline Pyrlove

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 06:33:11 pm »
People who live in rural area don't take enough of responsibility to confine dogs and we all know that. Just like Trucker said "At least it was a dog killed and not child" shows how much he cares. The house HAS to be puppy/child proof. Puppy/dog/child can get easily hurt if WE don't take responsibility to confine them or watch them.
Why did you have a long line IF you have a fence? Was the fence not safe? Was it not secured?
Knowing the breed I can tell you that these dogs can not be taken for granted...they need GOOD fencing!!!
Also, these dogs don't need much exercise so there is no excuse letting them free as simple walk will do  :-\

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:38:20 pm »
"Loose" means tied up so he wouldn't eat the chickens or the pet deer. We have underground fence but a big angry determined dog with thick hair can run right through one. The pit bull has ran through it several times without caring if it got shocked or not, if there was something on the other side of the fence it wanted. We had been keeping him tied up because he killed 24 chickens in 10 minutes which has to be some kind of record. In his short life he killed 30 chickens, mauled a goat, chewed up a motorcycle helmet,numerous dog food bowls, and a pair of glasses, bit a pig, attacked a stray hound dog and completely destroyed a dog pen and dog house we tried to keep him in. I should have named him Destructo-dog. In his better moments he was basically a good dog, despite his wolf heritage.

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 06:46:35 pm »
Just like Trucker said "At least it was a dog killed and not child" shows how much he cares.

So would it have been better if they had killed one of the neighbors small children to bring attention to the speeding problem? I didn't mean it to sound like i didn't care about the dog. I'm still mad about someone killing my dog on purpose.

Offline samsmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 06:56:43 pm »
People who live in rural area don't take enough of responsibility to confine dogs and we all know that. Just like Trucker said "At least it was a dog killed and not child" shows how much he cares. The house HAS to be puppy/child proof. Puppy/dog/child can get easily hurt if WE don't take responsibility to confine them or watch them.
Why did you have a long line IF you have a fence? Was the fence not safe? Was it not secured?
Knowing the breed I can tell you that these dogs can not be taken for granted...they need GOOD fencing!!!
Also, these dogs don't need much exercise so there is no excuse letting them free as simple walk will do  :-\

I had a long line in addition to the fence because Sam was deaf. I have a brand new 6ft chain link fence surrounding my property. I do not live in the country I live in an regular neighborhood. Sam, got walked every morning and eve. Rain, snow or what ever. For at least 45 min to an hour. We went to the forest and the lake at least 2 x's a week and he was always on leash. It was an accident that I hope that never happens to anyone. He never showed any inclination to roam but it happened. That one moment of inattention, that cost my puppy his life. That I do have to live with. But it was not because I did not care or spend the time or money to be as safe as humanly possible.  I'm sorry that you do not understand that, and I hope you never make any mistakes that causes someone you don't know, to make a harsh judgements about you. That is all I have to say on the matter.

Chris

Offline Pyrlove

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 08:28:03 pm »
I am sorry, but I would never leave DEAF dog unattended EVER!
I see you are from OH and Ohio is one of the worst area for rescue Pyrs. I am not saying you didn't love your dog but the whole situation sound shady...line/fence/escape
Where did you get your dog anyway? He doesn't look like from a good breeding 

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 08:51:34 pm »
It only takes a second one glance away  Our beloved getting hit by a car is every dog lovers worst fear but it only takes a second  and if the owner has taken reasonable precautions then blame should not be placed and fingers not pointed.  And certainly statements 'I would never' unless you are a robot- I'm sure even you have to go to the bathroom once in a while.

I AM a Pyr breeder and the pic of the pup- he just looks like a Pyr pup- not good not bad you can't tell from the pic and it doesn't matter anyway- he was a beloved member of the family

Offline Jennalyn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 01:28:47 am »
I am very sorry to hear about your pup.  You are right, it sounds like someone deliberately hit your animal.  And take this to heart:  no matter how evil your townsfolk think you are, nothing justifies deliberately running down a family pet.  That is cruel.  And karma is a bitch.

Offline samsmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 06:02:01 am »
I am sorry, but I would never leave DEAF dog unattended EVER!
I see you are from OH and Ohio is one of the worst area for rescue Pyrs. I am not saying you didn't love your dog but the whole situation sound shady...line/fence/escape
Where did you get your dog anyway? He doesn't look like from a good breeding 

Thanks to all on this board that are great and wonderful dog breeders and animal lovers. I am leaving this board. I only stayed around because of the support I had received in the past. I think that you are a judgemental and not very informed person. Sam was purchased from a breeder that breeds for actually doing their job, guarding stock. He was only 3-4 months in the pic and you can not see how truly wonderful he was. Any way it really does not matter as we were not going to breed from him. I won't justify weather I am a good owner or not. It is a shame that all you can do is throw stones at someone you don't know who has had rescue and owned pure-beed dogs all of her life and always treated my dogs like the members of the family they were. Proper housing, vetting and food. Never left outside and always loved and cared for. I am very sorry for you and do not understand a person like you  would attack someone else with out any facts or history. I see that you have only been here for a few weeks and choose to only post to attack. I am sure you will learn nothing from the wonderful people here because you already KNOW everything.

Thanks and bye,
Chris

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 07:19:41 am »
Pyrlove,
You remind me of a female dog who doesn't want to breed !!
Co-mingling two treads and going off half cocked is NOT what this board is about. I would suggest you find another place to jump to conclusions.
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 09:43:57 pm »
I am sorry for both of your losses, no matter how they happened.  It was a loss.  No matter how perfect we are in caring for our babies opportunity slips in, I'm the first to know that during this past year.

I recently brought my only remaining dog on vacation and my family thought I was nuts.  I didn't trust their electronic fence.  I didn't trust her.  Her leash was either in my hand or she was tied up.  But long-term, that would be no way to live for either of us.  In life we all take some chances. 
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP