Author Topic: Do Great Pyrs drool?  (Read 12054 times)

Offline britt_cllns

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Do Great Pyrs drool?
« on: April 15, 2005, 09:59:20 pm »
For all you experienced Great Pyr owners...I was wondering if Pyr's drool.  My Aunt had a female that did not, so I assumed no, but recently a dog trainer said that they do.  Was wondering if you all could settle the debate.
Thanks!
B Collins

Offline amajac

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Do Great Pyrs drool?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 10:11:05 pm »
Mine, Damion, didn't, not any more than any other dog at least.  When it was really hot he would pant, but there were never stings flying like with my Saint Mirta, who was a REAL wetmouth.  The picture is of Damion, taken about 20 years ago.  Still miss him.......

Cheryl and her furkids, Saint Austin, Smokey the Cat, Mr. Spock, Warlock and Mouse
Cheryl Hain
Amajac

Offline ToddsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 01:12:56 am »
Generally, my boy does not drool, except in situations where another dog would -- when stressed (e.g. in a training session!), when exercising hard, when having partaken of salt water while wading in the ocean. The thing is, when he drools, he DROOLS! Just like anything else with a pyr, anything another dog does, he does BIGGER!

Nothing he could do in this department, however, holds a candle to the dogs with really loose flews such as the Newfs (famous droolers!), Saints, Mastiffs, and the like.

Oh... mustn't forget the drooling in anticipation of a treat... BIG puddles then...  ;)

HTH.

Rufiesmom

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 01:27:04 am »
Rufus generally doesn't drool unless you have something he wants and then its like a faucet is turned on.  Once he has a bite he calms down.  Also during exercise, but most of the time he is slobber-free.

Pyrinround

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 09:35:18 am »
Pyrs are generally pretty dry-mouthed.  I have had them for 30 years, and only had one that was loose-mouthed and drooled A LOT!  This was our Turbo, Cruiser's predecessor.  Cruz, like Rufus, only drools in anticipation of food or a treat.  Even when stressed (the vet's, the groomer's, etc), he tends to be a panter, not a drooler.
They are NOTHING like a Newf or Saint when it comes to drooling.

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 10:55:49 am »
I don't know if you have one or want one. A pyr that is. If you want one, make sure you get one with tight lips. I had a pyr mix and he never drooled. When he passed away we got a 100% pyr. I did'nt know about the lip thing then but I wish I had. My boy has St. Bernard, Newfie lips. He drools more than the people I have talked to that have St. Bernards. He has always drooled. His drool is very slimy and will just hang almost to the floor if it does not get wiped off. So to answer your question, I guess it depends on the actual dog. I have seen many that do and many that don't. It really is a lip thing. I wish I would have known. I would have a lot less cleaning to do! I love my boy but not his drool! I will try to attach a pic. Notice the lips hanging.

Offline britt_cllns

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 11:37:07 am »
Thanks everybody!

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 12:16:06 pm »
I've raised Pyrs for 18 years and educate folks on the use of Pyrs as guardians.  As a breeder and one who has shown Pyrs, I can give you some insight on this issue I think.  Pyrs should not drool to extreme.  Most of them do some but if they have a correct head and temperament, it's rare.

The Pyr with a loose lower lip will drool much more than one with a tighter lip.  Also a Pyr that is nervous will drool.  If they have not been socialized or have a shy type temperament, then when they are stressed they will drool.

My first Pyr, with very poor confirmation was a big time drooler.  Since I learned about confirmation and adjusted my breeding program, I dont have that problem with them anymore.

Jackie Wood
Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Jen

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 12:43:51 pm »
Thunder drools only if he is watching someone eating something he wants.  (which is anything and everthing).  Our new Newfie Sasha is a drooling machine!  I slid across the kitchen floor yesterday on a title wave of Newf drool!

Jen

Offline tniepoth

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 02:20:13 pm »
It would depend on your meaning of drool.  If it is this long, white, thick, sticky stuff that comes from their mouths, (more when a bone is present), then yes.  And it can get in places you would never believe.  But we still love them! :D

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 05:31:21 pm »
I have attached some pictures to show you the difference between a tight mouth and a loose one.  Tight ones (correct) dont drool, 8 week old pup and adult female.  Loose ones (incorrect) do, not my pyr, dont know who he belongs too, just using this for an example.

Jackie Wood
Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux