Author Topic: Is my Mastiff Growing Abnormally fast?  (Read 24600 times)

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Is my Mastiff Growing Abnormally fast?
« on: August 21, 2005, 10:04:48 pm »
My three month old Mastiff Zoe weighs in at 48lbs. Is this abnormally fast? or is it because she likes to eat rocks in her spare time? We try not to let her eat rocks but sometimes it is impossible. So back to my question is this too fast for a Mastiff to be 48lbs at 3 months?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Is my Mastiff Growing Abnormally fast?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 01:15:54 am »
It doesnt sound like too too fast. It is fast but they all seem to be about that size at that age, more or less. At least the ones who will end up with a good adult weight. I dont have the papers right here but Galahad was about that size, I remember him being 58 lbs when he was 14 weeks.

But it is always good to keep an eye on it and be careful about the protein. What are you feeding and how much protein is it? And have you started to give supplements yet. That is something that is quite important with these giant babies.

I would soooo much love to see a pic of Zoe, Galahad says he is very interested too lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

BabsT

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 04:32:47 am »
Zero who is a molosser but not a english was 36 lbs at 12 weeks but by 17 weeks he was 64lbs...i think it depends more on if the dog is just 3 months or going on 4 months...they do sooooo much growing in such a short period of time

I would go by the feeling of the ribs...you should be able to feel them with a gentle touch down her sides

the rock eating could be a bit of boredom or that she is just getting to know her environment and having fun

I wouldnt encourage it...my sisters shepherd and my old shepherd were HUGE rock eaters and it wore their teeth down a lot...

Another concern which was already asked is the dogs diet...what are you feeding

try keeping your baby as lean as you can to help her body and joints grow nicely with each other

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:24:12 am »
We feed her Eukanuba Large breed puppy food 3 times a day and 3 cups per serving. She also eats a greenie every other day.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 10:59:06 am »
JMO I think you probably should get her off the puppy food and give her an "all life stages" adult food.   I've heard that large breed puppy food are good for large breeds but not giant breeds.  They can cause mastiffs to grow too fast.  I think I heard that on the yahoo mastiff group.  You might want to do a little research on that. 

Oh and make sure you don't let her eat the rocks! she could end up needing surgery because they've built up and got stuck...

but greenies are great!     ;D
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 11:02:17 am »
I fed Maia Science Diet Large Breed Puppy until she was 12 months, then the vet decided I should move her to adult because she was getting a little chubby.  She is back to normal fat amount.  I think dogs are like kids, some grow fast, some grow slow.

I think Maia is small for her age, she is only 120 lbs at almost 16 months.  The vet says she has a year or more of growing left so not to worry.

Your vet is your best contact on size, food, and amounts.  Or you could contact your breeder and find out how big her parents and siblings were/are at the same age.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 02:39:43 pm »
That is a good idea I think I will contact the breeder regarding her growth. Our vet says that she is still on the small side though it doesn't look like it to me. But what do I know?

Offline msbrookins

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 03:00:21 pm »
That's a good idea to talk with the breeder. All lines in breeding grow at different rates. Also, it all depends on what breed your Mastiff is. I do know that Science Diet isn't a very good dog food but is pushed heavily by vets because they make a portion of the sales. I have a Cane Corso Mastiff and through my research of food Canidae, Evo, Royal Canine, BARF are very good dog foods.
My Corso's line is a slow to mature line. Right now, Max is 2 years old and weighs just under 100lbs, a little small for the male standard; but, if you do the rib test, he's perfect.
In my opinion, I would call the breeder about your dog's line maturity, and also get your dog off of Science Diet.
courtney brookins

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 11:25:33 pm »
fcsantos..... How much protein is it in the food you are giving? I was assuming your dog is an OEM based on the weight lol.... The mastiffs and even the danes and other giant breeds for that matter, sometimes grow a bit too fast, not overweight just grow too fast. And sometimes knockel over a bit. We have never had Galahad on over 21% protein, and when he was about hmmm 4 and a half months I think, he started to knockel a bit and we decided to bring him down on no more than 17-19%. I agree with Rachel that giant breeds do very well on an all stage dog food even as puppies, actaully better most times, since the protein is often lower.

The amount you feed sound like a very "normal" amount. since it is a giant breed puppy you have you might want to concider adding some kind of joint supplement and antioxidants, like someone posted here 3 months is a bit fluent, it is easier to compare if you use weeks, just because 2 weeks more or less is making such a big difference. But if Zoe is actually 3 months = 12-13 weeks she is definately not on the small side. Also matters the size the dogs mostly end up as for that particular bloodline, so how big is her mom and dad?

There are many good food out there, personally I prefer the holistic kinds, they are a little more expensive than some but you get "real" food rather than fillers and can most often lower the daily intake.

Good Luck and keep us posted

Marit

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 08:21:13 am »
I wanted to second what everyone was saying about the adult food.  Canidae & Eagle holistic are some good brands, as well as Diamond Chicken Soup, Diamond Adult Lamb & Rice and Diamond Large Breed.

I also agree with BabsT, if there is anyway to curb the rock obsession try to.  :)  My GSD, Faust, is a total rockhound.  We tried to keep him away from rocks, but living on a gravel road... well it just wasn't happening.  Even if we took all the rocks away, he would dig until he found a huge one to chew on and carry around.  Now he is 7yrs old and his teeth are worn down.  His canines look like someone took nail clippers to them, luckily they aren't painful but they look horrid.  :P

See...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:38:13 pm by Moni »
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 11:18:13 am »
I totally agree with the rock eating issue, not only can their teeth get worn down, with a bit of bad luck, they have swollowed one that wont come out by it self, and voila you have a very very sick dog that might need surgery. So for many reasons it is good to try and keep them from eating rocks or other things they find and think is a great snack  :D

Marit

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 11:21:26 am »
Maia will pick up a rock every once in a while, chew it and drop it.  Then look at me like I did something mean to her.  I don't know if one day she is hoping that she will pick it up and it will turn out that it is really food hidden there.  I haven't seen her actually swallow one or even chew on it for more than a few seconds. 

Though if Rocco comes near her she runs away with it and he chases, then the rock gets dropped in the middle of yard for me to hit with the mower. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 11:39:02 am »
lol greek4..... the part where you say you hit it with the mower is kinda putting a big grin on my face, not because you do it lol but becuase sunday my mil called and spoke to chris and apparently she had mowed and hit a rock, the rock went flying and hit the window in her suv, result - now a big crack in it and she needs a new one hahahahaha, everyone who knows the mil and me relationship knows that I do not feel too bad about this  ::) ;D

BUT warning to everyone else though, park your car somewhere, where a flying rock cant hit it.... :D

Marit

Offline londonsdad

• Gnawer
  • momof7mastiffs husband
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 04:49:20 am »
I wouldn't give your baby greenies, they swell and they turn into like a plastic and mastiffs are chocking on them. i'm a member to another site and someone posted about greenies and thats how i found out!
london
Image hosted by Photobucket.co<span style= m" width="350" height="262" class="bbc_img resized" />

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 10:59:08 am »
Someone on this board posted a video link to a news story regarding Greenies and how they are causing numerous surgeries all over the country.  It might be worth it to do a search - I will try to find it and repost it.