Author Topic: Guarding?  (Read 3838 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Guarding?
« on: August 23, 2005, 10:17:13 pm »
Ok, here's the deal. Because Earnest is half Lab, I participate on a Lab board and have a lot of friends with Labradors.  They have certain viewpoints on behavior that don't always match mine, but I'm beginning to think it's the difference in breeds that causes the varying ideas.  I'd like to compare their view with the "big dog people".

Here's the scenario, on our camping trip a few weeks ago, it started to rain and we decided to pack up. As we were packing a family came and decided to wait for us so they could have our site.  Both dogs were staked out near the picnic table, and I was loading stuff into bags and packs to be taken to the car. The Dad (a friendly stranger) offered to help us bring things to the car. When I agreed, he first took the two tents, which I handed to him. When he came back he reached for MY big backpack, which contained all the cooking stuff and first aid stuff, as well as my personal stuff and extra boots.
Phyfe, who is Mastiff and St. Bernard, jumped up from where he was laying, gave the guy a big "WOOF" and a throaty growl (no teeth).
When I said "It's ok, I told him he could carry it" Phyfe backed down, but kept an eye on the guy and what he was carrying from then on.

Here's the question- was Phyfe being a bad, aggressive, alpha dog or a good, protective watchdog doing his job?

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Guarding?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 10:31:56 pm »
I'd say he was being a good watch dog. He saw you hand the bags to the helpful stranger and figured that was cool. When the guy helped himself, that was not cool, and your dog gave him notice.
Good Dog!
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 06:33:25 am »
I agree with Tulsa's Dad. He was being a good dog protecting your stuff. It's fine if you say it's okay, but if you didn't then the dog knows to tell you somethings wrong. Also once you said it was okay he backed off. That's a good sign.

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 07:22:18 am »
I think it's great that he looks out for you. I't not like he lunged for the guys throat with teeth bared. He just said "Hey, thats our stuff and I'm not sure you should have it. Dad, should he have that???!!!" And then he deferred to your alphaness ??? when you said it was ok. I'd give the boy a liver treat.
Stella

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 10:51:11 am »
I agree.  He reacted to the situation, but cooled it when you let him know that it was fine.  However I like my aussie & GSD for their reserve and guarding tendancies, so I might be biased.  lol
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 04:29:45 pm »
I agree!  It sounds like he was protecting you and it's good he backed down too.  :)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 04:33:02 pm »
I agree with everyone else, you handing things to a friendly stranger was ok, but when he reached to take something you had not given him your kid gave a reaction.  He was telling him wait a minute, she didn't give you that.  However when you told him it was ok he backed off continuing to watch.  AN excellent example of guarding!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 04:48:22 pm »
Good guard doggie ;) ;) 8)

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 03:37:53 am »
I say you have a smart dog!!  Protect the items that make food and ta heck with the tents!
 ;D ;D

Luv