Author Topic: EVERY MEMBER MUST READ LA Times Article  (Read 6865 times)

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: EVERY MEMBER MUST READ LA Times Article
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 08:53:45 am »
JMHO...
I obviously I have a completely different take on this story than most ... I thought it was a pretty good story that highlighted both the extraordinary effort some folks will go through to place a homeless dog, as well as the pitfalls rescues face. I also thought it showed both sides (addressing the rationale as well as the criticism) in spite of the ending not being "happily ever after."  Many stories don't end on a happy note and public criticism would be equally justified if the media only wrote about happy thoughts.  Certainly, I'm well aware of the "if it bleeds, it leads" media mentality and I'm just as sick and tired of it as others.

If I were to question anyone, I would have to wonder why the animal was placed in a home that no one bothered to do an in-home check.  Of course I understand the distance barrier, but evidently someone was able to coordinate the pick-up and drop-off people. Couldn't an inspection also been coordinated?  I don't think there is any question everyone has good intentions, but it seems to me that is the weakness of placing animals where you can't have someone do a site inspection.  Maybe it's an unfair criticism given the geography barrier, but like anything else, the process is only as effective as the weakest link. 

Again ... JMHO.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Nicole

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 08:56:30 am »
Joji,
 I think that you very eloquently summed it up. I guess that's what I was trying to say, too. (But you said it better!) There are two sides to every story, and with rescue, its important to see them both.

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 10:36:54 am »
Hummm. Fiction, and bad fiction at that.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 10:50:52 am »
Wow.

Well....I guess I'll have to agree with everyone that said that sensationalism sells, and that's disgusting.

Have you all ever met a "collector"? Its an actual disorder...rec ognized by the APA, I believe. People that believe that ANY animal is better off with them than being euthanized. Even if the animal isn't being properly cared for. I busted one, once. It was absolutely horrific, and reading that article brought back terrible memories.

Anyway, I guess just the same way that we don't know if the LA Times was WRONG about that, we also don't know if they were RIGHT.

I guess its just up to us as animal lovers to always keep our eyes and ears and noses open and do what's right. If its a long trip across country or telling some kook NO when they want YET ANOTHER FURRY BABY.
Can I still get Donut?...lol! :D

Nicole

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 11:01:11 am »
Absolutely, Gyp! hahahahahha!

There is a HUGE difference between a collector and just a weird-0 animal person. (Like us!)  All I was sayin' was that both do exist and its everyone's job to watch out for them! (The collectors, that is.)

That said, when do we start the first leg of Donut's journey?!