Author Topic: BPO Updates - Input Needed  (Read 17120 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: BPO Updates - Input Needed
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2005, 11:06:01 pm »
Ok.. so no Breed Specific charities? That sounds fair enough! Would we all agree on that?
Most certainly!!!...I would even go as far as no species specific! :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2005, 11:26:11 pm »
Yep!  I'd do that too!

Look at www.bestfriend s.org

They really are all heart!!

nickerbokker

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2005, 11:27:11 pm »
Jaime, I completely agree....non-breed specific.  As much as I adore Newfs, there are so many Newf people out there ready to take care of our own.  What about all the other mixed breeds....smal l and large.   Also breeds that are not as well represented need to be taken care of!  It's not their fault that they are here...it's irresponsible people that cause them to be here...and we owe 'em!

well said mil

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2005, 11:30:21 pm »
Thanx....must sign off.....cookie s are done!  And off to take the youngest to stay with the oldest in SF....she who doesn't know what a KA is for.  *sigh*

nickerbokker

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2005, 11:35:23 pm »
lmao!  super!  im getting off too!  im tired!

nite mil
luv dil

Nicole

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005, 08:29:32 am »
I think Best Friends is a great one. And I want to reiterate my love for any groups that work with inmates. I think that the idea of teaching prisoners empathy by having them train dogs is WONDERFUL. Most of the dogs are mixes, too. And, then the dogs have a better chance of getting adopted because when they're done with the program, they are CGC's.

And, they say that it greatly reduces the recidvism rate. I can see why! Once you love a dog, its hard to go back!

DakotaMom

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 08:37:23 am »
Here is a great program.

Project POOCH is a non- profit organization that has been pairing young men incarcerated at the MacLaren Correctional Facility in Woodburn, Oregon with rescued dogs from animal shelters for over a decade. The youths train the dogs, groom them, and find new adoptive homes for them.

www.pooch.org

Nicole

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2005, 08:39:49 am »
Good one, DakotaMom! I just love those groups.

Here's the one that is in my area. In the Westville, Indiana Correctional Center.

http://members.petfinder.org/~IN61/page0003.html

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2005, 08:57:19 am »
i also think this concept has the potential of starting breed wars...   ... I think we should focus on rescues that deal with really special needs dogs, or across large and giant breeds in general. 

Ditto this suggestion ... or how about a Guide Dog for the Blind organization or puppy-raiser group?
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Icerotti

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2005, 09:15:40 am »
I love the blind guide dog idea and the inmate one too.

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2005, 10:24:38 am »
I'm all for Guide Dogs or CCI... the ones that work with inmates sounds good too
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Blair

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2005, 10:36:59 am »
Here is a great program.

Project POOCH is a non- profit organization that has been pairing young men incarcerated at the MacLaren Correctional Facility in Woodburn, Oregon with rescued dogs from animal shelters for over a decade. The youths train the dogs, groom them, and find new adoptive homes for them.

www.pooch.org

I like that idea

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2005, 11:16:57 am »
Ok.. so no Breed Specific charities? That sounds fair enough! Would we all agree on that?

I think if you are donating money, you should be able to direct it to the dog charity of your choice, after all it is YOUR money.  But that might be a pain to have to specify every single donation.  My personal choice, because I helped them get started, is the Newfoundland Health and Rescue Society: http://www.ncnc.org/Rescue/rescue.htm 
So there's my 2 cents......
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2005, 11:27:52 am »
I still really like www.gracieland .org and their deaf dane rescue.  I don't necessarily think that we should shy away from all breed specific organizations, i just think that if we are goign breed specific it should be selective in how we do it.  Gracielands Deaf Dane rescue is a great example, working with a particular issue that is unfortunatley quite prominent in the Dane world.

I also think it would be good to rotate the charities every month or so.  Like have 3 charities to pick from each month, and then switch so all our worderful organizations can get in on the action.

Nicole

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2005, 11:28:37 am »
Hey, that's a good idea. I like the rotation thing. Or we could do a charity of the month, and switch every month.