Author Topic: Rescue dogs - any recommendations  (Read 2227 times)

Offline mindex

• Gnawer
  • Samantha
    • View Profile
Rescue dogs - any recommendations
« on: August 23, 2005, 06:58:00 pm »
I had a yellow labrador for 13 years.  We had to have her put to sleep last year.  I want to get another dog in the future.  I have to finish school first, one more year.  I want to be more educated about rescue adoption etc.  problems and benefits any information from your own experiences would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline mindex

• Gnawer
  • Samantha
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue dogs - any recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:08:59 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  My first dog was pure and from a breeder.  We were not very well informed.  She was great though.  I have become more educated about dogs needing homes and would  prefer to go that route.  I am in NY.  I  had a yellow lab, so I am kind of partial to labs, but  I like all large breeds. I have a feeling space may be an issue.  When i first had my lab, I lived on a lot of land, we later moved to a suburban area, she also spent time in NYC.  I want to make sure i have enough time and space to dedicate to a new dog. 

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue dogs - any recommendations
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 08:15:12 pm »
When looking for a breed of dog to suit your lifestyle, the size of the dog has nothing to do with the size of the yard, but the activity level of the dog.  I would def want a big yard if I had a Lab, but the giant dogs pretty much sleep all day once they're mature.  I have a 35 pound English Setter who is of the walls crazy, and a 140 pound Dane baby who seriously could live in a refridgerator box and be perfectly happy. 

If you aren't going to have alot of room, I'd stay away from herding and hunting dogs, simply because they're so high maintenance.  It will work though, if you put in the effort, like ectra time at the park or dog sports.  Good luck!

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."