Author Topic: Warning!!! Please Read!!!  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Moni

  • Majestic Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 934
    • View Profile
Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« on: August 25, 2005, 09:37:41 pm »
***This is not a fwd, this just happened to a friend of mine.    ~ Moni*****
 
A friend of mine just lost her sweet little Border Collie, Poppy.  Poppy Quest was only a youngun, she would've been 4yrs old in November.  Last Wednesday she went into acute Renal Failure and she lost her fight either last night or today(I just got a quick email saying she was gone).  That is one week to go from a healthy dog to gone.   
 
 
The reason for her death?
 
Poppy got into the garbage and ate a bag of old grapes.
 
I know that there has been warnings going out about raisins and grapes for a year or so now, so I just want to repeat the warnings.  I'm posting this in the hopes that it might save another dogs life.
 
Godspeed sweet Poppy Q, may your days be filled with tennis balls and people to throw them until you are reunited with your mama.
 
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline jabear

  • Moderator
  • Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
  • *****
  • Posts: 4629
    • View Profile
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 09:39:04 pm »
Poor baby. What a tragic story! Thanks for the reminder about toxic foods.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Stephanie

  • Full Fledged Chewer
  • *
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 10:17:25 pm »
oooohhh, that is soooo sad thanks for the info, that's a good thing to know!!!

Offline brigid67

  • BPO Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 1083
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 10:18:58 pm »
wow - that is too bad!!!!

GYPSY JAZMINE

  • Guest
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 11:23:27 pm »
Ty for the heads up for everyone!...It takes 2 grapes & 1 raisen per pound of dog to kill them...Also, apple seeds contain arsenic & too many are toxic to you or your dog!

Offline luvmenewfs

  • Full Fledged Chewer
  • *
  • Posts: 95
    • View Profile
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 02:40:41 am »
Oh so tragic.  I'm so sorry.

Luv

Offline Anky

  • Supreme Drooler
  • ****
  • Posts: 1511
    • View Profile
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 05:42:56 am »
OMG Moni.  When you said Poppy I thought "Could it be the Poppy Hobo loved so much?  Couldn't be"  But then her pic came up and I honestly started crying.  Tell her I'm so so so sorry. :'(

Ang

BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth
                       
Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Icerotti

  • Guest
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 06:04:04 am »
Oh that is so sad. I am very sorry.

Offline DixieSugarBear

  • Golden Paws
  • *****
  • Posts: 2662
    • View Profile
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 06:31:29 am »
I am so very sorry.  Just think I will stop buying grapes.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline SwissysRock

  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • **
  • Posts: 137
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 06:41:27 am »
Wow, thats awful!  I had no idea about grapes and raisins...  thanks for the warning!  What other foods/snacks are harmful to dogs?   ???
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Kiahpyr

  • Guest
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 06:44:10 am »
I'm so sorry for their loss. I don't buy many grapes, but a lot of raisins for my daughter. I'll have to make sure she doesn't give any of them to Kiah. Thanks for the info. I didn't know they were harmful to dogs either.

Offline TwoNewfies

  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • **
  • Posts: 140
    • View Profile
Re: Warning!!! Please Read!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 07:44:00 am »
I'm so sorry for your loss.  Thanks for this very important reminder though.
As a matter of fact I was just reading....gee z...was it the Whole Dog Journal or Dog Fancy?  I'm sure it was the WDJ in the new issue, they have a great article on toxic foods for pets.  It was enlightening for me, as there were some things on the list I would never have thought of.  Chocolate is the one I always remember, but the grapes, raisins, onions, and a few other things were surprising for me. 
Checkout the article if you can, its very good.
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!