Author Topic: possible irish wolfhound rescue  (Read 2799 times)

Offline matt

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
possible irish wolfhound rescue
« on: August 26, 2005, 01:16:52 am »
I may have found an irish wolfhound for rescue in my area and am really excited and will most likely adopt if I can...my question is- to those few of you that have (or had) an IW that was a mixed breed, do you find that the size of the IW has been a dominant factor? the place where I found her says that she's an Irish Wolfhound, which I assume means pure breed...I will love her (if I get her) regardless but the thought of having a gigantic dog is very exciting...and I was just curious if anyone has found that size is dominant in mixed breed...thanks!!

GR8DAME

Re: possible irish wolfhound rescue
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 07:32:51 am »
Hi, Matt,
My name is Stella, and I have an almost 9 month old IW/Dane mix, Strider. Considering the mix, it's kinda hard to say which is dominent in size, there isn't much height difference between a dane and an IW. The main difference is in thickness, I think. Strider is much lighter boned and less solid than my dane was at the same age. I'll find some pics to show the difference.

What is your gal's mix, and how old is she? All of that could make a difference in her final size. Load a picture when you get one,I'd love to see her.
OK Here is Merlin(dane) at 8 weeks, then Strider at 7 weeks, and Strider at 6 months. 
Hope this helps you out
Stella
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 07:35:43 am by GR8DAME »

Offline matt

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 05:40:32 pm »
she's 4 months and I found her at a humane society about 3 hours away...I think I'm going to drive up tommorrow and see if she's a fit. I spoke with them about adoption and the woman said that she thought there might be some schnauzer in there somewhere...I can really see it in her two sisters but she looks more like an "official" IW puppy (I dunno maybe her schnauzer genes are dormant) I initially thought that she meant giant schnauzer was in the mix but at 4 months they only weigh in at 30 lbs...she said they were malnourished when brought in but that still seems small to me...I dunno. If I do get her tommorrow I will certainly rain pictures on this site (she's very cute!!) thanks

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 08:51:23 pm »
Rule of thumb for most of the giants that hang out here is 10 pounds per month, therefor 4 months=40 pounds. But if she has had a rough start she could be underweight and waiting for someone like you to make the difference to her. Good luck and come on back and let us know how it all turns out.
Stella