Author Topic: berated by friend for my 'big dog obsession' (rant)  (Read 10618 times)

Nicole

Re: berated by friend for my 'big dog obsession' (rant)
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 08:58:24 pm »
Dude. Grumpy. I'm gonna whoop that guy. I'm so glad he's your EX husband. F that guy! Seriously. I have hate now.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 09:24:45 pm »
Don't waste good hate on him, girl.  It'll come back around, and karma comes back hard.   ;D

*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Icerotti

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 07:28:44 am »
Hey as long as you are happy and your dogs -who cares what others think. They sound like they have a terriffic home are well cared for and loved. They make the most of whatever space they live in. ;D

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2005, 08:53:57 am »
we live in a 750 sq ft 3rd floor unit of a single family home - with a fenced in yard - in Chicago near sox stadium. real estate is a premium in the city, and my gf's still a grad student, so we're on a budget...

i'm beginning to find it annoying that i'm judged for keeping 2 rather 'large' dogs (golden and now st. bernie) in this "condition". my friends in CA says it's (and i quote) "just too mean to the dogs" because i don't live in a house w/ a big back yard.

we walk our dogs twice a day at the park, take 'em to the dog beach often, carry 'em for drives along the lake shore, feed 'em PREMIUM kibbles, have a pretty darn reliable vet. this year so far, my golden's been to the vet 4 times.

when I tried to adopt a golden in CHI, golden rescue of IL scoffed because we weren't (rich?) in the burbs w/ a huge backyard. when i tried to adopt in LA, they laughed because i said the dog MAY stay outside. catch 22 or oxymoron??? our st. bernie was obtained off craigslist.com from a desperate family. the golden was an older unwanted stud dog ex backyard breeder in the boondocks of IN. i'm not sure how else to get people off my back. would people rather see these things put down? or is my city apartment a better home? GEE i wonder..

I think sometimes we are not protective enough of ourselves.  A few years ago I put up with the comments from friends who would say, "It's those darned dogs that are holding you back.  They cost too much.  Get rid of them!"  Then, I went through a very difficult time for about four years.  Who was there for me?  Why, the dogs, of course.

After that I thought back to the comments so-called friends made.  I think if a person is a real friend they will be more respectful and less know-it-all judgmental.  For example, many people like to belittle others, but they are really just silly two-faced morons.

I have a friend who lives on a ranch.  She seems to have found a guy who is well-to-do as she raises goats and sends out updates with photos about their progress.  When I took in Betti (rescue from a breeder who confiscated her from neglectful owners) she criticized me harshly for taking a purebred dog when there are all of those others out there.  She really perched on a soap box and was quite extreme. 

Not a month later she brought home a purebred border collie.  I think she paid for it, too.  I wrote back to her and made the point that we never know what will happen, etc., etc.  I think she also missed the point that I did not PAY for Betti...only Betti's numerous vet bills.  To that, she would exclaim that she has spent over $40,000 on a horse's veterinary care.

So, for some people there is no hope.  They just do not get it and are ready to preach their pseudo values on everyone else.  I think it makes them feel better or puts them in this authoritative position where they feel strong giving people like us (who take it in the bum) advice. 

The way I look at it now, if they are a real friend, then they can take the answer I give them when I say, "Sorry to rain on your parade, but did I ask your opinion?  I feel that my dogs are perfectly happy.  I am so glad I have them."  Or something like that.

Another comeback I've used lately is, "I do it because I want to, gosh!"  I learned that from Napoleon Dynamite.  Many people say that is a stupid movie, but for those who see the different layers it is really a remarkable film that has many lessons to teach.  There are a myriad of ignoramus questions employed by weirdos that can be easily answered with, "I do whatever I want to, gosh!" because what else is there, really?  What can they say?  Instead of giving a logical explanation and trying to appease them, we really do not owe them anything and, besides, who gives a hoot what they think anyway?  If we are doing something because it makes us happy, then there really is nothing they can say without being jerks.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2005, 01:52:36 pm »
All I can say is "how rude!"  I had many people, mostly family members, ask why I wanted to get such a big dog when we don't have alot of space and would be moving again w/i a year.  I simply said, "because I do" and left it at that.

I, too am moving to the Chicago area (well, outside of Chicago), but not until next spring.  I don't know exactly where you are at, but I'd be happy to set up a play date with the kids.  And you'll have to let me know where all the good dog parks are at, I know where we are going there probably won't be any (legal ones anyway)

Offline BrutusMummy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 12:00:13 pm »
We get the same comment everytime we go for a walk "I hope yu have a big house/yard" we now just say yes b/c we got tired of explaining that he's fine in our townhouse.  He gets 2 walks a day plus play time. And he has a small backyard he likes to lounge in.  He seems pretty happy. He's with me all the time anyway. What would he do with a big backyard? Some people are just ignorant. 

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 12:26:27 pm »
That was the first thing everyone said when they found out I was gettin a Dane. And now they all see he is healthy and thriving with out a 100 acre farm to roam.
The big yard for a big dog thing is kind of over rated don't get me wrong Spike would love to do laps around Pierres oops our back yard if he would not get in the pool anyway but if I go in the house he would be at the door rooing and crying at the indignity of being left outside all alone.
As for the big house thing someone already said it  He is always right near me so even if we had a palace for him to run he would still be within tripping distance of my feet.

Rachael and Spike

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2005, 12:45:45 pm »
I totally agree.  I've had Maxwell for a year now and I still get lectured by anyone with a voice.  People are shocked when I tell them Maxwell lives in our home and heaven forbid sleeps with us in bed sometimes.  I know he's huge but he's still just a regular dog.  My friends laugh and call him a lap dog because he likes to sleep with his head on your lap.  My Brother in law said he wouldn't come over and visit if I got a Saint.  (What did I do....get a Saint!! Ha Ha!)  Imagine, the nerve of someone telling me what I can or can't have in my home.  I have a sign put in the entrance of our home and it says  "I love my dogs, this is their home from which I hope they never roam.  They're faithful friends, I love them best.  This is their home, you are a guest.  If dogs to you are just a peeve, then by all means feel free to leave."  We bought the sign at a craft fair and it sums up my feelings exactly.  My Brother in Law hardly visits now, but to us, the dogs are our family and we won't budge.  I don't know how many times people asked "What were you thinking when you got Maxwell?"  I just say, I've always loved Saints and always wanted one so I got one.  It's pretty simple.   Some people love babies and want 3 or 4 of them and I love dogs.  To each his own.  Whatever happens, don't ever let other people dictate how you feel.  I have a funny feeling that a lot of Saints are homeless because their owners listened to the critics and couldn't take it anymore.  The moral of the story is not to care about what others think and enjoy what you have.

awo

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2005, 05:58:45 pm »
I have a saint also and get some of the same comments, but here is the line that will shut people up.

DID I ASK YOU TO TALK TO ME!

You say that to someone with an opinion and watch their mouth drop.  I would love to hear about someone doing that and what happens, I'm telling you it works.

awo

Lyn

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005, 06:25:41 pm »
I was talking with my Aunt the other day on the phone (an Aunt that I honestly don't like.. lol). And Bubba was bugging me to let him outside. I asked her to hold on a second and I switched to the cordless phone and took Bubba outside. She says "Oh you got a dog?" Yes I did... "What kind of dog did you get?" We got a Saint Bernard.. She was quiet for a couple seconds and then says "Wow where does he sleep?" Um in my bedroom. "Omg, you keep him in the house?" GRRR YES!! "OH well a dog like that doesn't belong in the house" My reply was well this isn't your house and if you don't like it don't bother visiting. And then I hung up on her. LOL

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 07:58:55 am »
I find it funny.  You either get the super positive people or the super negative ones.  When I take Maxwell out on the town, he's treated like a superstar!!!  We took him to hopewell rocks and there were a lot of tourists there.  Anyway, families were getting there pictures taken with Max and we were surrounded by kids and adults wanting to pet Max.  We get that a lot.  Saints are rare I guess in my area.  When Maxwell's in the back seat of our car, people tail gate us to get a better look at him.  When we're in a parking lot, we always come back to the car and find it surrounded by people staring at him.  It's nice and Maxwell loves the attention.  I don't recommend getting a Saint if you are super shy because everyone talks to you and asks questions.  But you do get the occasional jerk that says something stupid.  Some people are scared of him too but most are nice and friendly.  I just know that one day I'll be walking Maxwell and someone will get in a car accident.  People drive by and just stare at him and don't watch where there going. 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2005, 11:13:42 am »
"Omg, you keep him in the house?" GRRR YES!! "OH well a dog like that doesn't belong in the house"
I get the same thing form my mom...That & "a dog like that wants to be outside"....PUUULLLEEE AAAASSSSSEEEEE EEEEE!...Tell that to Samson & Pippin when they are looking through the patio door like I am abusing & neglecting them if I don't let them back in 30 seconds after they go potty!

ann

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 12:05:07 pm »

like they pay your bills or clean your house i get it too,if someone has a problem with my dogs inMY house ,i would prefer they not come over its just like someone telling you you shouldnt drive a suv or live somewhere give me a break,
 i work pay my bills taxes and don't break to many laws leave me alone......... ............

POOP NAZI

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2005, 12:53:52 am »
People can be so singleminded in their perception of what makes a good owner! >:(  We have 160 acres and are berrated by our neighbor for not "running" our dogs on the land.  HELLO!!!!  BIG SPACE  they run plenty, but SUPERVISED.  We have a 1,000 ft kennel and we are "CRAZY" for spending that type of "MONEY" to contain them when we are not home and working or such.  Our dog "HOUSE" is much to "NICE" and way to "BIG" for an "ANIMAL" excuse me!  Our dogs are part of our family and I would never let my children "RUN FREE" nor would I leave them without the approprite precautions!  Others that livein smaller conditions I have met here, and take long walks, participatein activities with their 4 legged family members and take excellent care.  All I have to say is mind your OWN BUSINESS!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson