Author Topic: Job interview updates  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Job interview updates
« on: August 26, 2005, 01:06:04 pm »
Well the first place I was kind of dissapointed in.  It was in a bad neighborhood, I'd only be making $8.50 and working 20 hours a week.  The lady was nice enough and everything.  But the second job OMG I want to work there so bad!  Everyone there was so awesome.  I talked to the owner for a long time.  He said that what they hire is the personality.  Everything else can be trained.  He said I was a "Devious Woman" and he liked that  ;)  I'm on his short list for second interviews but there was a girl that the other interviewer liked, and they interviewed 8 people yesterday.  He also said that he didn't know if he wanted me to work downstairs (As a receptionist) I might be better suite to the creativity department.  YAY! 

ANyways, here's my quandry (I could say problem, but quandry is just such a cool word).  The first lady is making her decision today.  I won't hear about a second interview from the advertising agency till Monday.  Im terrified she's going to call and say I have the job, and I really want the other one.  If I say no to her and don't get this job I'll be up S*** creek, but if I say yes and get this other job I'll feel bad for leaving her hanging.  I'll be making more $$$$$ at the other place, doing something I love, but I need the work.  What should I do?!?!?! :-[
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

lins_saving_grace

Re: Job interview updates
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 01:13:44 pm »
maybe she won't call you today and that will buy you some time.  If you get the second interview but have already accepted the first job and get offered the job you really wanted you could be honest and tell the person you were offered the job you really wanted and will have to regretfully leave.  We've had 4 people do that to us here at my job in the last week and a half. 
I know that sounds bad...and I don't know if I'd ever do it since I've never been in that situation.
You have to do what makes you happy and keeps the rent paid!  And since it would pay better and offer more hours and the more creative environment you want ... that would be the best situation for you. 
Good luck with what ever you decide.

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 01:16:16 pm »
Is there anyway that if the lady from the first job calls you that you could tell her that you've been offered another position and would like until Monday to decide?

Or....if she offers you the position, could you call the second job and tell them that you've been offered a position, and are wondering about how serious they are? I don't know...that's kinda pushy, I guess.

Hmm...probably the first option would be better. If she calls, just tell her that you'd like until MOnday to decide.

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:27:54 pm »
The above suggestions are great.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 01:29:34 pm »
I like Nicole's ideas....   I have been in a similar place, when I got the job I have now I had like two weeks before I started.  In that time period, I got a call to interview for my DREAM JOB, and eventually they whittled it down to me and another candidate.  I was supposed to hear back on it the day before I was supposed to start this job, and I couldn't figure out what I should do..... 

As you can see, I didn't get the dream job, and now here I am.  I still want a dream job, but I am making too much money to leave here...   :(

But, I guess my point is that dream jobs don't come along every day.  You can always find another job that is "just okay", if the dream job falls through, there are tons of them out there.   So, I guess I would weigh any decisions to be made heavily in favor of anything that will increase your chances for the job you prefer - like telling the other job you need til Monday to decide. 

It sounds like they might have more than one slot to fit you into, which increases your chances.  And, you know, it really is all about the relationships, and it sounds as though you were able to connect with the one guy.  If you don't get the dream job this time, at least give the guy a call and tell him how much you enjoyed meeting him, and how impressed you were with the company, and that you understand it didn't work out this time, but you would love to be a part of the team in the future and you hope that he will keep you in mind if anything comes up.   That is such a nice touch, and they will remember your class and professionalis m.   
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 01:31:53 pm »
I fully concur with what everyne has said. Tell the first job to wait until Monday for an answer. Good luck and I hope you get it!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 01:35:20 pm »
My sister in law, bless her heart, has her eye on a job here in town.  She got tired of waiting for the guy to call her for an interview since he doesn't want to hire till October...so she just popped in on him.  He was a little miffed.  Seemed a little pushy to me...but some people like pushy.  Just be careful to read these people right.   :)  pushy can be good sometimes.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 01:36:36 pm »
Thanks everybody.  The woman said she wanted someone ASAP as she has to fly out for surgery on the 6th.  I could just not answer my phone...... until I find out from the other place anyways.  My grandmother said that I should just take it and leave if I get the better job but that lady doesn't deserve taht you know?  I think if worst comes to worst, I will tell her that I am in the middle of negotiations with another job that offered me more $$$$$.  Cant fault me for that can she?

Ang

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 01:38:09 pm »
no she doesn't deserve it...but neither do you.  she'd rather have you gone and happy then there and miserable i'm sure.
Just let her leave a message for you. 

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 02:48:57 pm »
Well she said she'd make a decision around 3:30.  It's 4:48 and no call yet!  Woo hoo I didn't get the job!  OK I sound like I'm on crack :-[

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 02:58:42 pm »
If I were you, I'd be careful ... speaking from experience from sitting on the job "offerer" side, it's bad form to say "Wait until Monday in case someone else offers me a job." That's the *last* thing a new employer wants to hear from a prospective employee. No one wants to find out they are second choice.

There's nothing wrong with asking for a day or two to think over an offer; however, keep in mind there is a danger to doing that unless you are in a power position of picking and choosing. Same goes for saying you've been offered a job paying more money - be prepared they may tell you to take it; they can't afford to pay more.

My advice is listen to your Grandmother: don't worry about it and take the first job offered ... if the dream job comes along, you can still accept it.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 03:08:47 pm »
I kind of agree w/ Grumpybunny. How hard would it be to find another job that pays around $8.50 an hour? I say tell her you need time to consider.  It costs money to train someone only to have them leave right away. I say hope for the dream job. I always sent a thankyou card for the interview and told them how much I enjoyed interviewing, how impressed I was w/ the facility and that I hoped to hear from them soon.  Goodluck!!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 03:32:13 pm »
As someone who has also been the job "offerer" quite a bit, I do agree with what Joji has to say.  I guess I was just thinking of my personal experiences and how frustrating it is to hire someone and do all the paperwork and train them, etc. only to have them leave a week later..... That used to drive me crazy!!!!

But Joji is right - the wise person always phrases things more like "I am very interested in the position, but I do need to discuss things with my family.  May I have the weekend to think over the offer?" rather than "Can I wait a couple days and see if I get a better offer".  Believe me, I have had people say both to me, and to the latter I would always think "You can have as long as you like, cause I just changed my mind about offering you this job!"   ;D

I still think you should hold out for the dream job if you can, though!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 03:34:09 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 04:18:21 pm »
Well its now 6.16 so I guess you didnt hear anything today ang..... In a way I guess that feels good in a wierd way, this way it is not YOU who is putting it off, and you didnt have to make the dec. on what to say.

Good Luck and I really really hope you get that Dream Job and get called back to second int. on monday.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 05:36:28 pm »
I am glad the 2nd interview went so well...did you picture yourself there?  Now that you have been there now you can really put yourself in that place..see yourself at your desk in that office doing day to dy stuff...own it and it will be yours...
Timmie