Author Topic: Stressful day!...Pictures at last!:)  (Read 18789 times)

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Stressful day!...Pictures at last!:)
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2005, 07:15:41 pm »
What great pictures..I like the very last one. Such pretty eyes!!
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2005, 10:38:38 pm »
THANK YOU!!!!  I'm so glad you like my doggies (& cat) & the story of our lives!! :D :D

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2005, 07:50:17 am »
Awesome pics & great stories!...It sounds like it is happily chaotic there!! :D

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2005, 10:07:49 pm »
TY, Gypsy!  It is wonderfully chaotic! 

I was worried what would happen with all their puppy energy today....

mommy woke up with a stomach virus & over 9 hours threw up 12 times, aches, fever....yuck. ...my babies were sooo good!  They had their usual play session this morning and tried to use mom's bed as home base, until mom lured them out of the door & shut it - thinking, I won't have a house left when I can open this again....could hear lots of heavy breathing & pounding paws up & down the stairs......bu t when I reopened the door an hour later, they seemed to sense that until mommy felt better they needed to sleep & snuggle.  All that energy was contained until tonight - mommy felt better & everyone went outside to zoom & play, even Casper!  He's so into being dignified, that he doesn't always get into the play of the younger puppies...... :)

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2005, 10:13:26 am »
Day 16:  Proud Mommy!

Lucy made me soooo proud today!  She asked to go out & use the potty outside!!!! ;D ;D  She did it once a couple days ago, then "forgot" but no accidents in 2 days and today......... ......trotted up to the back door, nosed the blinds, & turned to look at me while I'm reading BPO posts as if to say....."are ya gonna just sit there???" ;D ;D

Offline CindiJ

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2005, 07:35:00 pm »

What beautiful pictures..... I know the chaos of which you speak, and I look forward to it everyday!!! Call me crazy.... but without it, I would just be lost.. I just returned home from the hospital after having surgery.  The entire time during my stay there, I could not rest comfortably because it was just "too darn quiet".. And the minute I was able to walk in the door and be "pounced upon" by both babies.... I was in instant heaven.... Best sleep I had in days!

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2005, 08:44:34 pm »

What beautiful pictures..... I know the chaos of which you speak, and I look forward to it everyday!!! Call me crazy.... but without it, I would just be lost.. I just returned home from the hospital after having surgery.  The entire time during my stay there, I could not rest comfortably because it was just "too darn quiet".. And the minute I was able to walk in the door and be "pounced upon" by both babies.... I was in instant heaven.... Best sleep I had in days!

Thank you, Cindi!   :D

Hope your surgery wasn't anything too serious & that you recover completely & soon!  I know about not being able to rest in hospitals - it's either too quiet or too noisy, the beds are not as comfy as your own at home......But most of all, there is just something about those fur babies that make life better when they are around!   :D  I like to think that it is the unconditional love that they give to us so freely.  :D

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
Re: Stressful day! (OR - Living the good life!)...Pictures at last!:)
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 12:27:31 pm »
Week 3:   :D :D :D

Training!!!
My 3 doggies (and cat) continue to amaze & amuse me......all 3 dogs want to train at the same time....if I start working with one, they line up & each one has to have their turn at performing the latest command.....I get tired of it before they do (which is a good thing - always leave them wanting more!) :)  We've got sit, watch me, sort of a down, sort of a come - their Pyrenees & Kuvasz heritage is getting in the way here!!!  ;) Sometimes Bella & Casper look at me as if to say....."and just WHY should I do that??" ;D ;D  Lucy is an attention hog & wants endless treats, so she is actually the easiest to work with!  She starts puppy obedience class this Sunday.

Leaving the "den"!!! 
I tried to take Lucy out the front door to get the mail & she was totally scared!!  I was expecting some hesitancy, but all she wanted to do was to make a run back to the door....she knows the back door goes to a wonderful place to play and the garage door is the place to say "hi" to mommy when she comes home from work or where-ever.....we'll have to make the front door a good place, too!  I had her on her leash - she does fine walking around the back with it....and it was just too much.....poor thing!  She managed to get half way between the house & the street with lots of coaxing...unti l I took pity on her & scooped her up & carried her to the mail box & tried to get the mail (of course there was a ton!)....spilling the mail in order to keep her in my arms.......... sometimes I feel like I'm Curly of the 3 Stooges!! ;D

Teenagers!!! 
Bella has "MOODS"!!! LOL!!!  Just like a girl!  She is escalating her play/aggression with Casper & Lucy a bit....I had to intervene a couple times with Lucy - Bella doesn't want to let up that throat grab/pin and I've heard some gurgling/strangling noises from Lucy  :-\.......with Casper - I'm letting them work it out.....Casper doesn't try to hurt Bella during play, but she definitely does what she can to deck him....last night she tried a couple new moves....she lept out of the bushes along the side of the yard about 3 feet away & 3 feet into the air & landed on top of him -she's 65lb, he's 90lb - so it didn't phase him....then she reached under & grabbed the opposite foreleg & yanked backwards..... that downed him on his side for about 5 seconds....he is sooo agile!  Jumped right back up!  I started feeling sorry for him, so I called Lucy over to me, so it was a bit more fair & he wasn't having to deal with the little ankle biter at the same time - just the big one!  Bella definitely takes advantage of the times when Casper's attention is diverted to fend off Lucy!  Lucy takes full advantage of being smaller than Bella & Casper & dives under objects to get away from them & to launch a new play attack.......s mart critter!!! :D

Bella is now almost as tall & long as Casper!  When I first saw her in early August, she was several inches shorter than him....she is growing!  Lucy is growing, too - she wont be able to hide under things much longer - she got stuck under the recliner yesterday! LOL!  I shouldn't have laughed, but I did, then rescued her. :D  I still think she looks like a lizard when she lays spread out....I know the "survey said": Frog!!!!  A couple days ago, a lizard attached himself to the outside of my kitchen window for about 24 hours...drove Chessie nuts trying to get at him!  :D  I think he was trying to catch the night bugs attracted to the light & got stuck....if he hadn't moved the next day, I was gonna go & rescue him....I've seen him scuttling about the yard, but never on the window before - he he he! ;D  Casper remains camera shy - he hid behind the bush near the back door to avoid getting his pic taken!  :D

Laughs!!!! 
Lucy loves to pester Chessie the cat and vice versa....I bought Chessie a cat tunnel to play in a few months ago - he loves to dive into it & play "attack"....Lucy thinks that's a grand game & the two of them are hilarious to watch!  Sometimes one's head is in one end of the tunnel and the other's head is at the other end with both butts sticking up in the air....they move so fast I haven't been able to catch that on camera yet! ;D  Lucy loves a little dragon I got at PetSmart & is trying to chew it's tongue off...her other favorite toy is a stuffed goose with a squeaker in it....she'll zoom around the house with it in her mouth, making a growling/grunting noise & biting on the goose to make it squeak.....I crack up with laughter every time!!! ;D ;D

Bella likes coffee!! :)  I spilled a bit this morning (klutzed myself trying to shut the microwave door), and she came over to investigate & licked up the several drops on the floor as I was cleaning it off the dishwasher & counter!   AAAAH!!! :D  A girl after my own heart!! :D (It was Starbucks, too!!!) ;D

I'm gonna be a doggy foster mommy!!! :D  I'm getting a 6 m/o Pyr that weighs under 30# & was left out with the goats with no socialization to humans..... :-\ :'(  She needs love & food & attention & other puppies to play with.....no problem with any of that here!!! :D

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 12:31:35 pm »
So glad that everything seems to be going relatively smoothly...  I just love these updates!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2005, 12:33:13 pm »
I love hearing about what is going on with you & the dogs!!!...Awesome pics!...I bet there is never a dull moment there!! ;D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2005, 12:53:24 pm »
Great pics! Thanks for keeping us updated. I love to hear about your doggies. Good luck with the training. Kiah and I start tonight. I hope all goes well with your new pyr. Do you know what kind of lizard it is? It looks like some kind of swift? I love lizards! I have two bearded dragons. Both are male. I thought we had a male & female. The one even had a feminine name until we realized it was a male. I'm thinking about fostering for our humane society, but haven't decided yet. I don't know if I could handle the emotions.

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2005, 01:54:34 pm »
I'm so glad to have the wonderful BPO folks to share these stories with!  Thanks for listening/reading/looking at pictures!!!! :D :D :D

I think my co-workers are starting to roll their eyes when I pull out the next set of photos! ::)

I have no clue what kind of Lizard it is....I named him Henry earlier this summer...he likes the brick wall along the garage - it heats up in the morning sun & stays that way into the night.

Your guys are way cute!

I've also got a rat snake living somewhere in the yard....he showed up on my front doorstep 4 weeks ago....natural ly, I went running for the camera & couldn't find it....when I did, mr. snake was mostly under the bushes...I grabbed his tail (eeewww - slimy!) and let go right away - mostly 'cause of the yucky slimy feel & it slithered off under the bushes shaking it's tail & making it rattle!!! Only afterwards  was I thinking....ge e, that was a stupid thing to do!!!!  Especially because at the time I didn't know what kind of snake it was & thought it might be a rattlesnake (I've only seen copperheads up close & personal!)  So, I call Keller animal control...the lady at the police department talks to me as if I'm drunk (at 10AM!) but puts me through to the guy...40 minutes later he shows up and wants to see the snake!  Idiot!  But he was a nice one.  By now the snake is long gone, but he had a helpful book with pictures....th e snake I saw looked most like a rat snake, not a rattle snake (whew!)....still there's that thing about the tail rattle.....I'd rather it be a rat snake, tho....a rat family moved into an empty bird house on my neighboor's side of the fence...no wonder the doves don't nest in my trees and the wrens don't use the rose bushes alonge the side of the fence! 

Ditto on the "good luck" with training!  I love that picture of Kiah with her toy in her mouth!  It is soo cute! :D

I've been thinking about being a doggy foster parent for a year.....even more so in the past 3 weeks....the president of SPIN has 14 dogs at her place that need foster homes. 

Yes, I think the emotions are going to be there, and are not going to be easy (Pup Daddy just placed Deuce) - but to love a critter (human or dog) back to health is what I do best - God gave me a talent & I have no choice but to use it....the skill, strength, peace, love, & grace comes from Him.

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2005, 05:57:55 pm »
 Day 24:   :D  I'm a doggy foster mommy!  :D

My foster baby arrived yesterday..... .while Pup Daddy & crew were playing it cool in Pet Smart (Good job, Donut et al!!  Well done!!)   :D  ....Casper & I went to the Arts/Car (lots of great looking antique cars!) fair on N. Bishop street and endured the heat of a Texas afternoon..... with us were Papa, Louie, Pearl, Miller, & Cody. 

Poor Papa looked sooo sad - he'd had to be shaved because he'd had embedded foxtails in his skin, plus he's elderly & has bad hips, and of course, that famous Pyr drool...made my heart break to see him... :'(  Pearl & Louie hid in the shade under the table, but both were angels & let the kids crawl down there with them & pet them....Cody looked gorgeous (he belongs to Celeste).  Miller was a sweetie, and let everyone pet him, too. :)

Casper got his picture taken by several fair goers - he wanted to walk around so we went up & down the street telling everyone to go & look at the puppies & Papa.  The super nice folks in the bookstore that we were in front of cooked us hot dogs and let us take Casper & Cody inside the store to cool off.  Pearl came home with Casper & I.

Pearl's story:  Pearl & 6 other puppies were living on a goat farm in Louisiana with an 82 year old care taker...she ran out of food & couldn't afford to purchase any more from the feed store; all the dogs were starving - puppies & adults.  The elderly lady's family took over the farm & her daughter was given an ultimatum to do something with the dogs.  SPIN has 7 of the puppies and are working with the  elderly lady's daughter to get the adult females fixed (and would like to get the males fixed, too - but first things first:  stop the puppy factories.) 

The puppies have had no human contact and very little food and are "mini-pyrs"....they will probably never reach full size because of the lack of nutrition.  At 6 months old (birthdate is thought to be in March '05), Pearl weighs less than Lucy (25 lb).  She only a little taller - 20 inches to Lucy's 16 inches at the shoulder. :'(  Pearl is very frightened by anything new right now....with time & care, that should get better.

I thought Bella came to me extremely thin, but Pearl wins that contest hands down.  She is more a picture of skin & bones than Bella was.  Bella at 8 months only weighed 65 lb....she's now closer to 70.  I haven't weighed her, but she is definitely heavier when I lift her into the car - since she thinks it's evil & won't get in by herself!!! Bella is obviously taller than she was when Casper & I first met her.  Bella had to tell poor Pearl that Bella was "Boss Lady" around here & snapped at her a few times... :-\  Pearl cowers - just cowers with fright at things you wouldn't think would bother a dog....such as - pulling the measuring tape out - it makes a clicking noise as the tape is pulled...it sent her running for cover!  :-\

Lucy was my little goodwill ambassador again...she is very interested in Pearl (and not as threatening to Pearl as the bigger dogs)....last night she got in the pet yard with Pearl, laid down beside her & snuggled...the n sat up, picked up one of the tiny tuff tennis balls & dropped in right in between them so Pearl could play with it....Lucy then picked up the chick (or is it a duck?) chew toy & played with that.....Pearl mouthed the ball a bit, but because she's never had toys to play with...she doesn't really know what to do with them.......she accidently sat on a squeaky ball...that made her take notice and she did keep nosing it to make it squeek!  Yaaay, Pearl!! :)

Lucy had her first day at puppy school today...she did great!!!   :D   I was soooo proud of her!  She learns fast! :D :D :D  She was a little shy about the "meet & greet" part of class, but didn't bark or growl at anyone!  She had an advantage over the others 'cause we've been working here at home on:  watch me, sit, 4 on the floor, take it, leave it, come, & leash walking, as well as potty training.  I've never used a clicker with my dogs, but since Pet Smart is requiring it for their upper level classes and I think I want to train her for agility work...we added the clicker today.

The 2 Princesses had to play a game of "Queen of the Stairs" this morning...each one wanted to be the dog on the top step. ;)

When Casper woke up, he wanted to get a sunbath....Do your Pyrs do that??  He cracks me up with laughter when he asks to go out just to toast each side in the sun...he stays out about an hour, then asks to come back inside! ;D

Maybe it's a good thing that SPIN needed me to foster Pearl instead of Fluffy....I haven't stopped thinking about Fluffy since Casper & I met her at Pup Daddy's place (along with Deuce & Kendra)...........hel p me!!  help me!!! I think I'm in love with Fluffy, too!!!  LOL!!! ;D ;D  I'd probably get her here & never want her to go to anyone else!!!  LOL!!  ;D ;D  Casper liked Fluffy, too!!!  ;D ;D

My 2 girls got into the wild side of the yard & ended up covered with seed burrs....had to spend an hour brushing them out of Lucy's coat...luckily, I saw Bella start to go to the same spot & was able to divert her attention before she got as bad as Lucy!  Poor Lucy came out of the burr patch & looked soooo miserable!   :(    She kept shaking herself & scratching - as if to say, "get these off me!"  I was disgusted with her, but laughing at the same time!!! :D

Chessie spends his time equally playing chase with the girls or hiding out on the highest perch he can find....I thought I'd taught him not to climb the ladders (by not rescueing him, & making him figure his own way down!)....but after not going there for a couple months, I heard him climbing them again!!!  This time, I took pity on him & fetched him down!  LOL! :)

Someone has been getting into my chair!  I found the culprit in there this morning!!!   :D   Maybe one of the gang from Pup Daddy's house sent her instructions?  Hee hee hee!!  ;)

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2005, 02:30:57 pm »
Day 28:    AAARGH!  I want to rant, but I wont - instead, here's the score:

Score:  Bella: 1 (see picture!) >:(
            Laurie:  2  :D

My points were won this way: 

1)  Tonight, Lucy decided to push past my legs as we were walking along the edge of the pool & fell in the deep part...I turned as soon as I heard the splash & saw her dog paddling her way to the surface & then start to sink again - made a grab for the scruff on her neck & got her & pulled her out (all 25.6 lb with one hand - that's what adrenaline will do for you!!!) - soaking my jeans in the process......I was soooo relieved that it happened when I was close enough to help and that I didn't have to jump in fully dressed to get her out!   Lucy wasn't harmed & after shaking off the water, zoomed around the yard inviting Bella, Casper & Pearl to play.

2)  Pearl is starting to respond by looking up when her name is called; she has stopped running for cover when I approach; she's walking on leash with very little resistance; (she had no human contact until 3 weeks ago!)... and she wants to play!  She tried to play tonight (after Lucy's dunking), but would get scared & make a run to hide under the bench rocker when Bella would respond.....Wo uld you believe Pearl's in love with Casper!?!  Her tail wags like crazy when he comes near her!!!! LOL!!!  Makes me laugh to think how an ex-male can collect such a harem!!!! LOL!!

Anyone out there know what I need to do to fix the stair? ???

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2005, 11:52:24 pm »
Day 28:    Anyone out there know what I need to do to fix the stair? ???
1, spray that spot with bitter apple
2. wait 1 1/2 years until they are not puppies any more
3, buy and move into a new home
4, get a puppy
5, return to #1