Author Topic: Stressful day!...Pictures at last!:)  (Read 18776 times)

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
Stressful day!...Pictures at last!:)
« on: August 26, 2005, 09:38:08 pm »
Bella & Lucy got to come home today after what seems like an incredibly long wait (almost 2 weeks)!!!!!! :D

The drive home went well except for the Dallas traffic - something is always clogging the roads. 

Bella is frightened by new places & her new home was no exception.  I made her her own special place in an extra large pet yard pen...put in a couple dog bed cushions (she's so thin & bony that I worry about her lying on a hard floor), toys & Lucy, her foster friend.  Also gave her half a tab of Rimadyl - she was spayed yesterday and just looked like she felt bad.  She & Lucy took naps & then it was time to pack up & go to their new vet (Dr Hemenway has been my vet for Miko, Dona, Gremlin, & Fang for the last 12 years and is a sweetheart!!!) for a check up.  Bella is 59lb & Lucy is 15lb.  Other than looking a little sad from having their operations yesterday, both got a clean bill of health - this is good news, since they got exposed to the sweet Miss Sadie Parvo (who also has kennel cough).....I am anxiously waiting to see if they develop any signs of illness.  Casper got a booster against Kennel cough today.

Casper was thrilled that he had 2 new playmates, but unfortunately neither wanted to play when they first got home......so, after getting home from the vet check and another long nap & some food, Lucy got brave enough to venture out of the pet yard & explore.  She is sooo cute!!  She & Chessie, my cat, are the same size & they are a riot to watch them chase each other!! ;D

Currently, Bella has gotten a little braver and come out of the yard to explore only to find a couple of Casper's rawhide chews - she promptly confiscated one & dared anyone to take it from her!  So, naturally, I went to the pantry & got more out so that Lucy & Casper could have some, too.

Please say a prayer that everyone stays healthy & that they learn to tolerate each other....they had so much fun playing when we went to Bagheera's mom's (their foster mom) to visit.....it's sad that the stress of the day is making things difficult. :-\  The few times that Casper has tried to engage Bella in play, she has taken it as an attack & quickly tried to escalate things with growls & snaps.  He's such a happy thing, that he doesn't seem to get it.

Thank God for Lucy & Casper who seem to be the happiest dogs alive!!! :D  I'm praying that Bella is just doing a "girl" thing & stressing..... too bad dogs can't eat chocolate when stressed!!! ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 12:28:06 am by LaurieW »

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: Stressful day!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 09:44:04 pm »
oh I am glad everything is going good.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 09:50:15 pm »
I hope things get better!  Poor Casper--he must be so disappointed that they don't want to play.  I'll bet they relax in a day or two!  (Cute photos too!)   :)

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 10:05:02 pm »
I am soooooo hoping that they relax & start to have fun. 

The cute photos with the red in the background were taken by Bagheera's mom....TY, Karen!!!! :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 12:32:35 am by LaurieW »

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 10:27:13 pm »
Just give them a few days & they'll be playing more than you would like them too!...lol...I'm sending prayers for their health!

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 07:34:46 am »
They will get it all figured out among  them in a few days. Good Luck ;)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 09:51:29 am »
Here's wishing them good health. They're adorable! I'm glad they got to stay together. I'm sure that helps with the adjustment.

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 05:10:08 pm »
Many thanks to all of you for the good wishes!

Here's day 2 (so far):  Neither have had accidents in the house (I figure that is just a matter of time ;))  Both seem to be adjusting to different food without too much digestive problems.  They like Casper's grown-up dog food much better than puppy kibble.

Lucy has decided is is great fun to chase Chessie, the monster cat, and when they really get going, Bella joins in. :D  Chessie seems to be handling it okay....someti mes I'm not sure who is chasing who.

Bella is still growling and snapping at Casper. >:(

Casper isn't feeling well today, has hardly touched his food, and has not tried to join in with any of the cat chasing games (but then, he's never tried to chase the cat); he's only tried to get Bella to play one time. :-[

Their adjustment may take a while, but I'm not giving up hope that they'll eventually be best friends yet! :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 12:37:01 am by LaurieW »

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 08:06:06 pm »
Hooraaaay!  Day three is much better than day 2 or 1! :D

Late last night, Bella decided she didn't feel so bad any more & she, Casper & Lucy played for 2 hours! ;D  Lucy was the instigator with a play "attack" on Casper's ears.  They were sooooo cute, double teaming Casper! :D  The play progressed from inside to outside, where Bella kept asking Casper to chase, but the big goof would just stand there, let her run like a nut around the perimeter of the yard, & played with her only on the patio.  (was this part of whatever has been making him feel bad this weekend?)

The puppies are eating well and seem to be adjusting much better today.  No growls or snaps from Bella at Casper at all today.  Lucy is my "guard dog" & likes to bark at noises in the night.

Casper still is not eating much and mostly lying around.  He & the 2 girls did play for a short while this evening.  Is it just adjustment?  Or is there something in a kennel cough booster shot that would make him feel bad?

Bella's wound from being spayed is healing nicely and so is Lucy's, but Lucy has a hard lump just to the right (her right) - she doesn't seem too tender & is the life of the party, so I'm trying not to worry about it too much. :)

Bella has discovered that there is a dog next door and if she crawls on her belly in the grass, she can just peek under the fence & sniff noses with him.......I'm wondering if I need to go & get some boards & stake them infront of the spaces - none of the spaces are big enough for Bella to get through, but I'm not so sure about Lucy....so I'll probably look at some of the odd pieces of lumber in the garage to see if they'll work.  Another project!!!!!  The list seems to be endless!!!!  ;)

I'm using the NLIF with the puppies, and so far, things are going okay - but we've only been working on "sit", too......

Bella has taken to greeting me by putting her paws on my shoulders & giving me a puppy kiss - it's so cute that I'm torn between teaching her "no jump", or letting her get away with it.  I'm a tall girl - 5' 8 1/2" - and Bella is supposed to be only 7 or 8 months old and she can easily raise up & put her paws on my shoulders---- how tall is she going to get??????

I am sooooo thrilled that they are all getting along better...now if Casper could just start feeling better! :D

Peace,
LaurieW

Offline Bagherrasmom

• Gnawer
  • Bagherra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 08:41:11 pm »
Hey Laurie!  I am sooooo glad things are going better today!!  It sounds like everyone is adjusting very well.  I hope Casper gets to feeling better.  I know that both of my labs after their shots just laid around for about two days.  I wonder if the shots make them feel bad?  He could also be having adjustment issues with his new playmates, but should come out of that just fine.  We keep calling Sadie "Bella!!"  Habits are hard to break.  Lexi has gotten to the point where she just says "whoever you are... come here!"  Took Sadie's stitches out tonight - That was fun!  I like the absorbable ones much better.  Sadie did switch over to her regular dog food (instead of the vet kind that we could only feed her a tablespoon every two hours of) today and ate like a champ.  I think she thought she was starving!!!  I love hearing about Bella and Lucy and that they are doing good!  I will pray that Casper gets all better and is his happy self!  Talk to you soon.

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 08:44:48 pm »
Glad to hear things are improving ;D

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 08:58:02 pm »

Bella's wound from being spayed is healing nicely and so is Lucy's, but Lucy has a hard lump just to the right (her right) - she doesn't seem too tender & is the life of the party, so I'm trying not to worry about it too much. :)

Kendra had a little lump like that after her spay, it went away after a few day. Cindy didn't think it was anything.

I'm glad Lucy didn't have any "accidents" inside. Her brother Deuce look right at me and peed in my kitchen today. Luckly I had a towel right there and stuffed it under him. All three pups peed in there today? Do you want another puppy?

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 09:26:17 pm »

I'm glad Lucy didn't have any "accidents" inside. Her brother Deuce look right at me and peed in my kitchen today. Luckly I had a towel right there and stuffed it under him. All three pups peed in there today? Do you want another puppy?

AAAAAAH!  I knew I was in for it at some time!!!  Lucy had her first accident - luckily she chose to pee on a pile of old magazines, and none of it got to the hardwood floor! :D

Pup Daddy, I think I'm gonna have my hands full with these two & Casper (when he starts feeling better he's gonna revert to his old pesty, loveable self!!!)!!!!!! :)

Keep posting Donut's & Duece's pictures - and Fluffy & Sadie's too - they are all wonderful dogs & I know they're gonna find good homes!  I especially loved the ones "Donut-kill", & Donut-tail".   Lucy bit both Casper's & Bella's tails during the play session outside tonight! :)

Peace,
LaurieW

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 02:41:28 pm »
Day 4:  THE BREAK OUT!!! ;)

Had to go to work yesterday (imagine that!) - was lucky enough to be able to get home & check on the puppies midway through the day - everything seemed to be okay...so back to work!  Got home to find all 3 dogs & the cat at the back door waiting for their "hello" hugs.  Bella & Lucy had busted out of the pet yard!!!!!  And yes, there was an accident waiting for me to discover it!  The babies didn't want to go to sleep - but mom couldn't keep her eyes open.......

Day 5:  LET"S STRESS MOM!!!  (and it's only been the first part of the day!)
Every mom's nightmare - one of the babies runs away!  Bella showed Lucy the 4 inch gap at the back of the fence where the hill falls away...and Lucy decided to be a good will ambassador to the dog next door!  Luckily, the other dog didn't hurt her, and Lucy responded to severals calls to "COME!!" and wiggled back under the fence.  Got everyone back into the house for breakfast and then tried to take a power nap before working 12 hours....but my babies had other ideas - such as chasing Chessie the cat up & down the stairs & under mom's bed!  Got ready for work & came out to put Bella & Lucy in the pet yard - and there's blood on the kitchen floor!  Checked both of them & could only find a little dried blood on Bella's spay incision....ca lled the vet & was told that if she was eating & playing not to worry or call someone else in to cover me at work...I am soooo hoping that everyone is okay when I get home to check on them in an hour!

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 07:17:58 am »

Day 5:  LET"S STRESS MOM!!!  (and it's only been the first part of the day!)

Poor Laurie! But, the babies are worth the stress!