Author Topic: New Member Intro  (Read 4823 times)

Offline mindex

• Gnawer
  • Samantha
    • View Profile
New Member Intro
« on: August 27, 2005, 07:40:11 pm »
I am a new member to BPO, I found it through craigs list.  My only dog, a yellow lab had to be put down last year.  She was the best dog ever.  I was devastated when she was gone.  I have not yet added another four-legged member to my family because I am in law school and do not have the time or resources to devote to a new animal. 
I live in a rented apt. with roommates, so a dog really isn't possibly now.  In one year, after graduation thats another story.  I figure I have a year to do research. 

I just have to say that I love hearing about everyone's furry families.  It makes me feel closer to having one of my own again.  Hope everyone is happy and healthy. 

Icerotti

Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 07:45:16 pm »
Welcome.  :D
I am sorry to hear about your loss. We lost our Katie girl )rotti) in May.
I have 1 male rotti 7 years old  and 1 male Vizsla 4 months old.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 07:46:24 pm »
Thanks for joining us. You've come to the right place. I'm so sorry to hear about your doggy. Do you know what kind of dog you want to get?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 07:46:54 pm »
Welcome! Nice to meet you Mindex. I am sorry to hear that you currently are dogless, but I agree that once law school is complete you will have the time to devote to a wonderful fur child.

Where are you going to school?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 07:50:09 pm »
Welcome! Sorry to hear about your loss... I have a labby too!!

-Samson's Owner
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline mindex

• Gnawer
  • Samantha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 08:49:47 pm »
I go to Albany Law School.  I always kind of assumed that I would get another lab but I am not sure if that is a good idea with all the memories.  I basically just want to have a dog back in my life.  I had to leave my dog at home when I went to school, my mom took care of her.  I used to go home every weekend - if anyone knows anything about law school - that is not the way to success.  Since my dog isn't at home I don't go home much.   

People think I am crazy when I show them how many pictures I have of my dog.  (Regular - not digital)

I hope to get a dog from a rescue or adopt from a shelter.  I don't know what to look out for though.  I was wondering if anyone had any problems with dogs adopted from rescues etc.  Health, behavior I guess I just have a hard time believing that people give up perfectly good dogs.  I hope I don't sound like I am looking for the "perfect dog", but my lab had seizures and eventually had to go on prescription meds to control them.

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 09:27:12 pm »
Mindex,
As a member of a rescue group who evaluate over 400 dogs a year - There is a dog out there just waiting for a forever home from you. You can choose from puppys, young ones, senior dogs, high energy spirits, and calm cool couch potatoes. There are pure breds, funny crosses, and some truly great All American Mutts. Get to know the rescue groups in your area and nationwide. There are several on this board and many will help you find the breed or size you decide on. They will also guide you as to the characteristic s of their breed if asked.
Good Luck - when you are ready. And hang around this board, the people are great and understand and love their dogs.
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 10:24:47 pm »
Hi, welcome to BPO.  Sorry for your loss.

Going to a shelter is a great idea.  All the dogs are health tested before being adopted out, but that's not to say they won't get a future illness or condition after you bring them home.  Not to burst your bubble or anything.  Just be selective and know exactly the type of dog you want when you are looking.  I think the biggest problem with some shelter dogs are behavior issues.  But that can be worked on if you have the time.

BTW, I'm Chris, and my two "kids" are Keiko a 7 yr old husky/shep mix, and Gunther a 9 mo old great dane.

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 10:51:32 pm »
Welcome Aboard
OKAY! Let's find you a dog!
Do you like spit, slobber and drool?
Answer yes or no!
What? What's the no answer all about?
Do you want to be greeted at the door with a big wet kiss when you get home from work?
What do you mean, "No Tongues!"
Do you like to vacuum?
Yes or NO
I f you have a riding vacuum, swing by my place, then we can go to the dog park together!
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 11:00:52 am »
Hello and welcome to BPO!   :)

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure she was a wonderful gal. If you ever want to talk about her passing, you can post a thread in the 'rainbow bridge' section and I am sure that people will help comfort you. Even though you don't have a dog right now I am sure you will love it here at BPO -  you will find stories and pictures that make you smile or break your heat, but the one thing I can promise you is that everyone here can understand your love of your dogs past present and future.
RIP former BPO

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 11:10:28 am »

Mindex, many of us here totally understand the magnitude of your grief.

I lost my dearest one almost 4 years ago, and I still grieve terribly for her.

Anniversaries are still hard, and certain places that she really enjoyed are as well.

Our well loved doggy friends leave big empty spaces in our hearts when they leave.

The good news is, when you are ready, a new canine friend will fill most of that space.

Never all of it, but most of it.

:D

Welcome to BPO.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 12:16:25 pm »
Welcome to B.P.'s!...I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your furry faced friend!...I'm glad that you joined us!...Feel free to talk about your fur baby that waits for you at The Bridge all you like!...We would love to hear more about her....My name is Chelle & I share my life with two Great Pyrenees named Samson (1 yr) & Pippin. (6 & 1/2 months)

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 07:04:51 pm »
I didn't mean to sound disrepectful.
Tulsa lost her best friend in July, and still looks down the hill at the dog park, expecting him to come lumbering along, so they can walk together again.
Sherman was a huge influence in her development, and they will meet again at the Bridge.
Open your heart for another Fur Baby.
It will ease the pain, and the footprints in the dirt will be very hard to distinguish one from another!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman