Author Topic: a purebred saint? not so sure...  (Read 10107 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: a purebred saint? not so sure...
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 01:22:23 pm »
shelters here are notoriously bad at listing correct breeds as well.  I learned this when our pup went missing.  This could have been a disaster had they found him and his collar had come off.  I am sure they would have guessed nothing close to the right breed, or age.  They only hold dogs for 4 days before they put them up for adoption or to sleep, and we heard rummor that they sometimes don't hold them even that long.

This made our situation very difficult because it meant we had to actually go to each of the shelters here at least every other day looking for him even though they have a listing of found dogs (no pictures).  I work full time, and they open after i leave in the mornign and close before i get home.  I was lucky i had volunteers (from the rescue group we got him from) that were willing to spend a couple hours a day looking in shelters for him, and that he didnt end up at the shelters, but if he had...... i can't even think about it...

Offline saints4life25

• Gnawer
  • Some of my very saintly crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 11:33:09 am »
you know i breed saint bernards (in nebraska) and this is no purebred saint bernard  to me it looks to be german shepard also here is a picture of my purebred saint bernard saints
Jamie, brian, colton, nicholas, cassie, and the saintly crew whos names are: Budwieser bigmouth, saint polly girl, miss taqiula rose, hillsides tank of beer, hillsides keep n' the faith, connie fannie, beefy, jigsaw, poppy. oh yeah dont forget the horses and the geese and all 15 birds

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 11:47:37 am »
Yeah, I didn't think that pup looked purebred. It's weird, I want to think they put up the wrong picture by accident! The puppy they are describing sounds lovely!
"Jamie is a an adorable 10 week old pure bred female saint puppy. She is a full mantle smooth coat with a full mask."
Sounds good enough to fool someone!
Anyways, I'm not necessarily looking for a purebred saint, I'm just keeping my eyes open for the right little puppy girl.

(I wonder what that little poochie is going to grow up to be?? Ha! ;D)

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 01:25:47 pm »
I really don't think she's a pit.  She looks like a saint crossed with a german sheppard.  Her ear looks a little like a bloodhound's ear but it may just be the way she's posed.  Her back has a serious slope reminiscent of a german shepperd.  Saints have flat backs for the most part.  Sometimes they are sloped a bit, but i don't think it would slope that much.  Whatever she is, she's a beauty.  Well worth looking into I think.  Also the darker back is german sheppherdish too.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 02:09:47 pm »
I really don't think she's a pit.  She looks like a saint crossed with a german sheppard.  Her ear looks a little like a bloodhound's ear but it may just be the way she's posed.  Her back has a serious slope reminiscent of a german shepperd.  Saints have flat backs for the most part.  Sometimes they are sloped a bit, but i don't think it would slope that much.  Whatever she is, she's a beauty.  Well worth looking into I think.  Also the darker back is german sheppherdish too.

I do not think anyone said the puppy in question looked like a Pit. The Pit reference was for the link included in my first post http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4679856&adTarget=&SessionID=431348b94c0ca6be-app5&display=&preview=1&row=25&tmpl=&stat=
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 02:11:26 pm by VdogLover »

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 02:14:27 pm »
If you want a St, there are two females in Cincinnati.  I think they are only $250 and they are definately purebreed because I saw the papers.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 04:06:33 pm »
it is a good thing i live way out in california and not in ohio, otherwise my boyfriend would have left me today when i brought home 2 more puppies....

those saint pups are irresistable!

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2005, 06:00:46 pm »
I think my pure bred dog buying days are over.  Too many bad breeders, and or genetic defects.  I think my next dog may be all mutt.  The thing I like about mutts are that they are pretty unique, are usually very intelligent, and it's fun trying to figure out what they are.  I say that, but I'm a sucker for a saint pup so you never know.  I find buying a dog kind of confusing.  There are tons of breeders, they all bad mouth each other, you never know who to trust, and at least half of the time they're a puppy mill.  I'm sure there are a few diamonds in the rough but you never know.  Oh well, there is my daily breeder rant.  Don't mean to offend any good breeders out there.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2005, 08:10:51 pm »
Saintly Girl, I feel the same way. That's how I have ended up with a house full of mutts.
 :D

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005, 10:30:14 pm »
i love mixes too...but then again i am a rescue only kinda gal, so even pure breed pups are much more rare, and even then often full of special needs.  my favorite thing is watching how a mix breed pup grows up.  it is like the most fun surprise over and over again.  Shakespeare is starting to look a little more mastiff, getting some wrinkles and sags in his face and neck.  What fun!

Nicole

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 11:47:06 am »
Hey Kook!

I saw hound, too. Those ears!

How ya doin?