Author Topic: Hello to all!  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Tina Cundiff

• Gnawer
  • Angel and Hubby
    • View Profile
Hello to all!
« on: August 30, 2005, 09:23:57 am »
My husband and I are Big Dog fans, we have 8 of them.  5 labs, 3 Great Pyrs.

Other Great Pyr owners, please email me, I have questions on health issues.

Thank you,

Icerotti

Re: Hello to all!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 09:25:03 am »
Welcome ;D I have a rotti and a Vizsla :)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 09:41:15 am »
My husband and I are Big Dog fans, we have 8 of them.  5 labs, 3 Great Pyrs.

Other Great Pyr owners, please email me, I have questions on health issues.

Thank you,
Hello & welcome!!!...My name is Chelle & my Pyrs are Samson who is 1 yr. & Pippin who is 6 & 1/2 months...For question regarding Gr. Pyr health I suggest going to the Great Pyrenees Forum here at B.P.'s & posting to Jackie Wood...Her screen name is Tanimara...I am confident she will be able to help you as she has been raising Gr. Pyrs for 20 yrs. & is very good & knowlegable about them!

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 09:55:58 am »
Hi and welcome!  Wow--8 big pawed doggies!  We have one--an 8 month old newfie.  :)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 07:48:36 pm »
It's great have other pyrs on board. I have a 5 1/2 month old female named Kiah. She is my first pyr and she's the best. Share your concerns with us, so we can learn from them as well. Everyone is very informative and willing to help someone in need. I love this place and it has helped me out a lot.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 10:25:26 pm »
Hi and Welcome.  Wow, 8 doggies, that's quite a housefull.  Glad to have you here, and hope to hear more from you.

Offline Tina Cundiff

• Gnawer
  • Angel and Hubby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 08:25:12 am »
OK, here is the history and the questions...
Our little Great Pyr was one of a litter of 11.  She was born in a double sack, she took some work to get going, then at three weeks, when the others were all 5-6 pounds, she was only 1.8 pounds.  The vet took X-rays, her lungs were full, he didn't know at that point whether it was a heart condition or a bacteria infection.  He didn't expect her to make it through the week. With lots of antibiotics, sneaking her to work in my purse to feed her with a syringe every hour and lots of TLC, she is now 7 months old. She has only one set of dew claws instead of the normal two.  Her second eyelid (inside the eye) has no color pigment, so it looks like she has a droopy eye, but really doesn't. And her little ears are lopsided.  But... this little girl rules our house, she has the adults trained well!!
Here is the question-recently she has quite a bit of trouble with her rear legs, getting up and down, etc.  The vet has her on Rimadyl right now, but is saying something about a spinal condition (blockage) that Great Danes develop.  We are waiting a few more days to see if maybe she was just romping too hard with the others or if it is, in fact, more serious.  It has been coming on slowly and the Rimadyl seems to work for short periods, but you can tell when it wears off.

Does anyone know anything about this spinal condition? Or suggestions?