Author Topic: Your Gas Prices  (Read 30227 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Your Gas Prices
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2005, 08:27:37 pm »
As of this morning....$2.97 for 87 unleaded.  >:(
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 09:29:54 pm »
My hubby just payed 2.99 for fuel for the semi...These guys are putting 150-200 gals. at a time in...He said this trip he might get by with $1345.00 in fuel..That's 5 days of driving...When the trucking comapanies raise their fees to make some of that money back, the product makes raise their prices & guess who pays?...All of us...1st at the pump & in the stores....Gues s who isn't making money off of it...The drivers. :(

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2005, 09:32:59 pm »
In relation to the hybrid SUV's, the only one that is a marked increase in MPG is the Ford escape which is too small for me, my Honey and my 3 beasts.  Most other SUV hybrids, such as the Highlander, and the new Mitsubishi are only 2-3 gallons difference, but a HIGE increase in initial price.  A new Nissan truck hybrid actually fared WORSE on the emissions than it's fuel counterpart.  I have to have an SUV, as where I'm living is on dirt roads, and in the middle of nowhere.  When searching for a new verhicle I looked at the hybrids, and they just aren't practical.  Maybe in the future......  One of the reasons I was looking is for the $2,000 tax break that hybrids were supposed to afford, and after this year no one will be eligible.  Even now only 3 cars are!  The Escape being the only SUV. 

Another reason why what's feasible in other countries can't be instituted here is, in Europe for example, everything is close to everything else.  People walk or bike to town, and everything is right there.  I know for me I have to drive 10 minutes to the grocery store, 45 minutes to the dog park, 20 minutes to a hospital, it's horrible.  And that's from my city house!  I go through a ton of miles.  Since I bought my car in May I've put over 10,000 miles on it.  That's just local driving. 

I understand your post, and while I too want to save the environment, and help with implementing feasible alternatives.  But our country is huge and widespread and I just don't see it happening.

Ang

Here's part of an article I read on MSN.  Can't find the whole thing though........

http://www.motorists.com/ma/1100027274.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 10:15:14 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2005, 10:26:29 pm »

I understand your post, and while I too want to save the environment, and help with implementing feasible alternatives.  But our country is huge and widespread and I just don't see it happening.

Ang

the wide spread thing is a big issue in the US, and i think alternatives like hybrids are really the solution, but i agree that there are not many large hybrid options out there.... hopefully with time that will change...

unfortunately economics takes time to settle into changes.  I am pretty sure that in my lifetime the oil supply will be one of the biggest issues.  i think we are looking at about 50 years of oil supply left if we continue to increase consumption at the rates we currently are.  I would bet money that inthe next 10 years we will start to get ood large hybrid options. 

California has a great new incentive for hogh gas mileage, the carpool lane.  only 3 cars get high enough, all hybrids and none the suv variety, but i bet the increased demand for hybrids here and the complaints to dealers about how they would get the hybrid suv but they cant drive it in the carpool lane so why bother will help pressure new suv hybrids out of them......

Different solutions are needed in different areas, i just hope that these gas prices will start to make changes that make alternatives reasonable for everyone.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2005, 10:51:18 pm »
As of this afternoon, I paid $2.75 per gallon, but I live on a military base, and it is usually abuot $.10 cheaper than other places.  I was told it will get up to $3 by the end of the week.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2005, 10:58:37 pm »

Ang

the wide spread thing is a big issue in the US, and i think alternatives like hybrids are really the solution, but i agree that there are not many large hybrid options out there.... hopefully with time that will change...

unfortunately economics takes time to settle into changes.  I am pretty sure that in my lifetime the oil supply will be one of the biggest issues.  i think we are looking at about 50 years of oil supply left if we continue to increase consumption at the rates we currently are.  I would bet money that inthe next 10 years we will start to get ood large hybrid options. 

California has a great new incentive for hogh gas mileage, the carpool lane.  only 3 cars get high enough, all hybrids and none the suv variety, but i bet the increased demand for hybrids here and the complaints to dealers about how they would get the hybrid suv but they cant drive it in the carpool lane so why bother will help pressure new suv hybrids out of them......

Different solutions are needed in different areas, i just hope that these gas prices will start to make changes that make alternatives reasonable for everyone.
I just wanted to add that I think it really is great that you are looking at the big picture!...I totally understand & agree with where you are coming from!...It's just the here & now effects whether we pay our mortgage every month or not...That makes it hard for me not to get upset about fuel prices in regards to our situation...Be tween a rock & a hard place comes to mind. :-\

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2005, 11:25:18 pm »
I totally understand & agree with where you are coming from!...It's just the here & now effects whether we pay our mortgage every month or not...That makes it hard for me not to get upset about fuel prices in regards to our situation...Be tween a rock & a hard place comes to mind. :-\

boy do i feel that.  between shakespear goign missing, then the broken leg then the infection, daily vet visits, several overnight stays and surgery on his foot we are hurting these days.    like a few people said before though, i tend not to dwell on prices because i have to drive, so i have to pay, i just kind of do it.  my rent gets paid... but the credit cards don't always.   i am way too much of a big picture person for even my own good, but i enjoy life, and that is what matters. 

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2005, 11:31:25 pm »
I totally understand & agree with where you are coming from!...It's just the here & now effects whether we pay our mortgage every month or not...That makes it hard for me not to get upset about fuel prices in regards to our situation...Be tween a rock & a hard place comes to mind. :-\

but i enjoy life, and that is what matters. 
In the end that is all that we ever really had anyway. ;D

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2005, 11:38:02 pm »
In the end that is all that we ever really had anyway. ;D

Amen sister!!!     

(did you catch the inside joke in that?)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2005, 11:49:41 pm »
 ;) ;D

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2005, 06:35:17 am »
I went & filled up last night & filled all of our gas containers too...It's a good thing I live in a small town & rarely go anywhere.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2005, 06:37:09 am »
Last night on the news they had reports of some gas stations hitting $3.39/gal. That's totally outragous!! Of course down the street it was $2.89. Talk about price gouging.

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2005, 06:49:21 am »
Just heard on our news in Detroit that gas is anywhere from $3.14 to $3.25 per gallon now. I also heard the prices may jump another 15 cents in the next few days.
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2005, 07:22:19 am »
I heard that in Greenville, MI it's $3.48 now.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2005, 08:56:57 am »
Place that was $2.69 yesterday us $3.29 today
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."