Author Topic: Your Gas Prices  (Read 30212 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Your Gas Prices
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2005, 09:00:13 am »
That is all craziness... i forgot to look this morning, but i know california is supposed to be affected by the huricane damage more slowely because we can't get our gas from those refineries (we have all kinds of special laws and regulations about what can and can not be in our gas, so we have special refineries we have to get it from, none of which are in the gulf). 

There was a bit about gas prices on NPR this morning.  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4825703
i am not sure if this contains the part i heard that was most interesting because i can't listen to it at work (stupid firewall). 

One person spoke about what can be done in relation to gas prices.  His conclusions was that there wasn't really a short term solution that wouldn't hurt us a lot more in the long run (ie using the reserves even after refineries open again in the gulf, eliminating federal gas tax, or settign a pirce cap).  His suggestion was to take the gas companies anytime they get a financial windfall (which is obviously at the cost fo consumers), and to use this moeny to increase earned wage tax credits to help those hardest hit.  Certainly worth some thought.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2005, 09:18:12 am »
i already filled up 2 days ago ($2.78/gal for 87, in chicago, where gas prices are > LA and ALMOST as high as SFO) when i heard oil broke $70/barrel after New Orleans got OWNED by the storm...  ;)

btw folks, buying hybrids is NOT the answer...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:19:58 am by tonyc »

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2005, 09:49:41 am »
How so???  Are they not fuel economical either???
not really... many 'truck hybrids' are only getting 26-28mpg. which is GREAT for a 'truck' (ford escape, lexus rx400h, toyota highlander, etc.). but compared to other nation's diesels regularly getting 40mpg, we, as a nation, must REALLY eliminate our unfounded obsession with trucks/SUVs. GM/Ford's truck sales jumped back up to almost pre-gas crisis levels with this 'employee discount' shenanigans. that's right, truck sales was SLUMPIN like a mofo... but the FIRST chance Americans get at a discount, they go right back to their asinine ways...  ???

atm, the only true high mileage (over 45mpg in the city) hybrid cars are the toyota prius and the honda insight/civic ... of course, you can buy a new miata and get 30mpg.. but i digress  ;D

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2005, 01:08:03 pm »
while hybrids might not be THE answer, i think they are part of the solution.  The 3 that do get great gas millage are a really great option for those of us that don't need big cars (as is the mini cooper 36 mpg, but i digress).  I also think that the technology will come around for the bigger guys eventually.... ..

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2005, 01:23:26 pm »
Gas prices were 2.56 this morning when I got gas (about 7 am) then at 11 am gas prices went to $3.09
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2005, 01:26:31 pm »
I hear ours went up to $3.50 this morning after I got to work.  I might "drift" home. :)

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2005, 01:28:47 pm »
i just saw a gas station raising prices by another $0.20/gal during my lunch drive... maybe i can get the 2 dogs to tow me 22 miles to work???

ann

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2005, 01:33:19 pm »

americans going back to thier asinine ways what a sad thing to say..i drive a blazer i could realy careless what you think about that...

ann

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2005, 01:36:11 pm »
People are freaking out here, and also feeding generators, and there is no gas to be found anywhere really.   They're driving in from other cities to try and get gas and then running out when none is the be found.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2005, 01:36:30 pm »
I love my Jeep.  the dogs fit in there better than in any car I have had.  It gets pretty good milage I guess.   I'm just really mad about the jump in prices since last week.  I don't get a raise every week like Exxon does. :)  ya know?

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2005, 01:43:31 pm »
In Newfoundland right now gas is at $1.17 per liter which would equal $4.43 a US gallon. US money that would be $3.72 a gallon!! And with the hurricanes those prices will rise here as well (supposed to rise before this weekend).

In Edmonton it just went up to 103, but all the gas stations give out gas discounts at the pump, usually 3.5 cents a L. But it is suppose to go up again. What is more retarded is that Alberta HAS OIL! We pump it out of the ground!! I just don't get it
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2005, 01:47:38 pm »
Not "if" the hybrid batteries die, "WHEN" they die, and they have not been out long enough for anyone to really know how long they will last.

you can get close to hybrid performance with some small cars such as the honda civic 5sp manual, the new diesel volkswagons, etc..

I'm all for the hybrid technology when they are more feasible to purchase, I hope it comes soon.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline newf2luv

• Gnawer
  • Lacey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2005, 01:54:26 pm »
 :o well it was 2.46 in atlanta,Ga  yesterday. Went this afternoon and had to wait inline for gas for 20 mins just to get it and it was 3.29. i was like wtf.. thats .83 in less than 24hrs. And my husbend and i both drive subarban's he's tank is 44 gallon's omg and mine is 31 gallon and he drive's 84 miles oneway to work so i guess he will be driving the motorcycle from now on. :(
newfmama

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2005, 01:57:30 pm »
:o well it was 2.46 in atlanta,Ga  yesterday. Went this afternoon and had to wait inline for gas for 20 mins just to get it and it was 3.29. i was like wtf.. thats .83 in less than 24hrs. And my husbend and i both drive subarban's he's tank is 44 gallon's omg and mine is 31 gallon and he drive's 84 miles oneway to work so i guess he will be driving the motorcycle from now on. :(
it'll take over $100 to fill my husband's truck now.  We may car pool to work.  For now I do ride my Harley everywhere.  I freaked when it took over $6.00 yesterday to put in 2.08 gallons.  My husband's bike takes premium only so it'll be about $15 or more to fill it up.  only consolation is we get great milage.
May sell the house and move closer to town.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2005, 02:25:37 pm »
How so???  Are they not fuel economical either???
not really... many 'truck hybrids' are only getting 26-28mpg. which is GREAT for a 'truck' (ford escape, lexus rx400h, toyota highlander, etc.). but compared to other nation's diesels regularly getting 40mpg, we, as a nation, must REALLY eliminate our unfounded obsession with trucks/SUVs. GM/Ford's truck sales jumped back up to almost pre-gas crisis levels with this 'employee discount' shenanigans. that's right, truck sales was SLUMPIN like a mofo... but the FIRST chance Americans get at a discount, they go right back to their asinine ways...  ???

atm, the only true high mileage (over 45mpg in the city) hybrid cars are the toyota prius and the honda insight/civic ... of course, you can buy a new miata and get 30mpg.. but i digress  ;D

Tony,

I don't mean to pick on you I really don't, but you keep setting me off! ;)  I have 3 dogs, meaning I need alot of cargo room.  So why not go with a van?  Or a station wagon?  Because I need sturdy 4 Wheel drive.  I don't want it I need.  Right now I'm living with my grandparents as their health is foundering, and they live in the midle of nowhere.  Cross some dirt roads that are never worked on, go up 70 degree hills, and I live in New Hamsphire where we have lovely lovely snow, and often, when it's too cold to snow, we get freezing ice.  I don't drive like alot of 4x4ers do, such as "I have 4 wheel drive, I'm indestructible and can go 75 miles an hour during white out conditions!"  But up here at least trucks and SUVs are a necessity, not an "Unfounded obsession".  For every car, there are 3 trucks/SUVs in my area.  Yes I have a problem with over indulgence on occasion, like people buying the new Hummers which, in my opinion, are totally impractial, but some people need the utility, and they pay for it just as much as anyone else does.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."