Author Topic: Do your newfs suffer from chronic yeast infections in the ear?  (Read 10804 times)

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
Re: Do your newfs suffer from chronic yeast infections in the ear?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005, 11:34:57 pm »
Well sorry but i dont jump on the grain bandwagon
HIGH humidity will make them get yeast ears, not trimming and thinning the base of the ear, will create a natural habitat for yeast.
sorry but the grain in dogfood dont cut it for me, as i never had a problem and i have had many newfs in my lifetime.

One dog can have the grain issue while even the rest of a litter does not.  My harl dane absolutely does not tolerate grains, while the rest of his litter can eat kibble without a problem.

No need to apologize, we all need to learn sometime.  :)
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2005, 12:41:46 am »
The only way to prove it is grain is to actually have testing done.
so far of dogs i groom no one has come up allergic to grain, but, rather protein of some sort or environmental allergies.
i still dont buy that it is grain related, esp when newfoundlands have heavy coats, and ears on most pet newfoundlands are not trimmed and thinned properly and due to high humidity, that is the leading cause of favorable yeast environment.
cute comment on no need to apolotize LOL
of course the odds of ONE out of fifty being allergic to grain is there, but,
i lay odds it is due to the weather and grooming.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 05:37:24 am »
Webster just got home from his first vet check, (since I've had him, anyway),  yeasty ears!  I hope that is not a prelim for things to come.  I had a cocker spaniel with chronic ear infections, it was a misery.... for the dog and for me.
Karen

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 06:19:12 pm »
Just wondering how it is going with the ears?  Any luck?

Luv

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 10:37:08 pm »
The only way to prove it is grain is to actually have testing done.
so far of dogs i groom no one has come up allergic to grain, but, rather protein of some sort or environmental allergies.
i still dont buy that it is grain related, esp when newfoundlands have heavy coats, and ears on most pet newfoundlands are not trimmed and thinned properly and due to high humidity, that is the leading cause of favorable yeast environment.
cute comment on no need to apolotize LOL
of course the odds of ONE out of fifty being allergic to grain is there, but,
i lay odds it is due to the weather and grooming.

Or you could just take them off of kibble onto a raw diet and see what results you get. :)
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2005, 10:58:32 pm »
LOL
you are funny. ;)
i really dont see what the rave is with raw diet.
i have seen a fair share of them still with allergy problems on raw.I also have seen many still get joint disease even though on raw.
so it really is not the lifesaver or the miracle that many believe it to be.
Though i must say, during critical growth spurts from 5-12 months, our newfs are on bravo raw one meal and wysong the next meal and it has helped with pasterns due to teething and growing at the same time, and heavy demands for phos and calcium in natural form
my newfs are living 11-13 healthy hearty years on the wysong, sometimes i mix in some raw bravo mix. one meal the raw the next kibble but that is mainly for the preggy girl i might have or the youngsters..
By the way great danz your danes are beautiful, i have never really seen an all white before, is the white dane on the same order as white boxers?
more health troubles?
just curious
Photography by Christine

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2005, 11:08:25 pm »
Yea, definitely more health problems with white danes.  He's actually the reason I went RAW in the first place.  Poor Mickey had chronic diarrhea, rashes, and developed HOD and Pano at 8 months.  After trying just about every "premium" kibble on the market, I threw up my hands and went raw.

I'll tell you, within weeks he was like a new dog!  Rashes were gone, poop was solid and TINY compared to kibble poops, and the HOD and Pano cleared up within weeks.  I know that switching him to raw saved my baby's life, and I will always recommend that owners allergy prone dogs try raw.  In as little as two months you should see a major improvement, and if not you just go back to kibble.  No big deal, right?

Mickey does have some spots, all on his right side, it's really cute.  Pics below show you, he was pretty young in the first one, he's got even more spots on the right now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:12:35 pm by GreatDanz »
-Ericka

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2005, 11:13:22 pm »
OK, I fixed the pics, both should show now.  >:(
-Ericka

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2005, 11:29:40 pm »
Thanx!
he is beautiful, he does have black spots!
is he not a harl than?
i am not up on all the color patterns as you can tell!
but glad you found something that works!
it is good to know alternatives are out there, some may work for some, while others not.
it all just depends on the individual dogs.
Photography by Christine

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2005, 11:37:15 pm »
Technically, he's a lightly marked harl, most whites have some color.
-Ericka

Offline mognewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2005, 12:33:35 pm »

i really dont see what the rave is with raw diet.
so it really is not the lifesaver or the miracle that many believe it to be.

Oh SAR you know I'm going to have to bite my tongue really hard on this one!  I'm bleeding, I'm bleeding.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2005, 06:41:52 pm »
I would never go back to kibble either...There is such a difference with my dogs and on raw...and my second pup came to me weaned on to raw which was perfect. 

In regards to allergies...do gs can also get airborn ones that have nothing to do with diet.  I dont think the raw diet is a cure all but I feel that it is far more natural for and stimulating for them.  I also feel that they are more satisfied when they are through eating because it takes them a lot longer to eat

Zero has had one ear infection and one hot spot (due to humidity) and my female hasnt had any issue

The coats are amazing, teeth just incredible, stool perfect, no gas,   Zero had a case of pano but I was feeding too much, The second I cut back the Pano was gone
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2005, 11:47:46 pm »
What is pano?
Karen