Author Topic: Prong collars  (Read 12558 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Prong collars
« on: August 31, 2005, 05:55:21 pm »
Ok, here's another one of my "compare the attitude" questions.
How many of you use a prong collar? Plastic or metal? How many think it's an awful device and wouldn't think of it?  If you use it, is it all the time, just for exciting places, or just for training and you'll use something else later? What about Gentle Leaders or Haltis, and if you use one because it's more "humane" does your dog get happy when they see it or do they try to get away? Will you always use it?
Anybody use any other "devices"?

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Prong collars
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 06:04:03 pm »
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,898.0.html

We talked about this very thing not too long ago. Lots of opinions and experiences.

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 06:47:40 pm »
I use a prong for my male rotti. Why?? Because nothing else has much of an effect on him. I use it for training and if we go on a walk along with a muzzle( just to be safe and we are in Ontario). He does not like when loose dogs rush up to him. Since I muzzle him on the walk I can't use the halti or gentle leader so I use the prong.  Think what you must but it is what works for us ;D I will use a halti around the house and yard. He actually gets excited when he see the muzzle and the prong b/c he knows he is going somewhere.

Farley I use a gentle leader. why??Different type of dog-different type of personailty. Unless I get an extreme personality change I will continue  with the gentle leader.

I love the halti for the control it gives you and also the option of closing the mouth if you have to.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 07:47:15 pm by Icerotti »

BabsT

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 07:05:25 pm »
A Study* on Prong Collars was done in Germany: 100 dogs were in the study.
50 used choke collars and 50 used prong collars.  The dogs were studied for their entire lives.  As dogs died, autopsies were performed.

Of the 50 which had choke collars, 48 had injuries to the neck, trachea, or back. 2 of those were determined to be genetic. The other 46 were caused by trauma.

Of the 50 which had prong collars, 2 had injuries in the neck area, 1 was determined to be genetic. 1 was caused by trauma.

* from a seminar by Anne Marie Silverton

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 07:31:14 pm »
Well i would say start with a gentle leader.  If it is a pulling issue.  the reason for this is that it works like a head halter for a horse.  in my classes i always start with gentle leader to start.  this controls where their head goes.  I actually put one on a huge saint bernard and it worked great.  Now they will throw a fit but you just have to last through it.  It looks like they are about to die but they arent just let them throw it, but it is up to you.  There is nothing agianst prong collars just don't leave them on all the time.   
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 07:32:50 pm »
Interesting info Babs. Thanks....that was very insightful.

Icerotti- I can't believe you have to put that muzzle on Puck. He looks sooo scary and mean. Poor baby! All I see when I saw that was Hannibal Lechter in my mind.  ???

And yes- different devices for different dogs. We use the prong only for training...act ually only for the weeks we were in obedience class and in when he ate through his other collar.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 07:40:06 pm »
Thanks for the stats babs, they are very interesting.

I use a prong collar on zoey whenever we go outside. I have to use it because, quite frankly, she is stronger than me, and I want/need to extra reinforcement when she gets too excited. She gets excited when she sees it because she knows it means it is time to go out, and honestly she barely even reacts to it when she pulls anymore.
RIP former BPO

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 07:51:39 pm »
Interesting info Babs. Thanks....that was very insightful.

Icerotti- I can't believe you have to put that muzzle on Puck. He looks sooo scary and mean. Poor baby! All I see when I saw that was Hannibal Lechter in my mind.  ???

And yes- different devices for different dogs. We use the prong only for training...act ually only for the weeks we were in obedience class and in when he ate through his other collar.  ;)

I know he looks horrible and it really is not his personality at all.  I take the rather safe than sorry approach. I believe all dogs will bite under the right circumstance. Puck does not like being taken by surprise. He HATES when a loose dog runs up to him.  He is also way more powerfeul than me. We have a lot of loose ankle biters in our neighbourhood. I would rather see tham only get rolled than bitten.
Maybe I should put a smiley face on the end of the muzzle!!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 07:55:13 pm by Icerotti »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 07:53:55 pm »
Awwwe, poor Puck.  That muzzle does make him look kinda Hannibal Lecterish.

I just got a prong collar to use with Keiko.  After months of working with her walking, she has plateau'ed out.  She needed something to help her get over the last hump so she will be perfect and can take the CGC test.  So I am using it for training purposes only, and should only have to use it a week or two.

Previously I have used harnesses, and I do like those as well, as long as they are used properly.  I have never really liked Gentle Leaders or Halit's although I know of many who use them and it works for them.  Just personal preference.

I was told never to use a prong collar on a type of dog with thin skin such as greyhound as you could cause damage.  I was also told not to use one on a dane, and luckily, I never needed anything for Gunther.

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 08:07:10 pm »
I use prong collars on Toester and Onyx because when we are out with a lot of people and dog they dont listen to me. They both have been to puppy classes but they just dont listen. Hershie and Thor I use a regular collar mostly a cute one with rhinestones or leather one. When they are around the house they dont wear collars. I have four dogs all over 90 pounds I walk all four TOGETHER now granted I no 120 pound person but its the only way I can handle Them together and I'm way too lazy to walk all four of them one at a time.
When Toester was in class the teacher didnt want to use the prong collar and tired a gentle leader and it worked for awhile but when Toester wants to do something she will do it and she has gotten out of the gentle leader.
I've never tried a harness with my Danes but when I had my lab he would pull worse with the harness. I dont really like the choke chains Toester will just not stop pulling and I think she might kill over for lack of air.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 08:11:53 pm by Lesli310 »

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 10:01:01 pm »
I use a harness with all the dogs including the mojos...  Can't really tell yet with willow how it is going to work yet...she seems to be ok with it but she is still small enough to be controlled...w e are working on walking on a leash.  When I 1st got her she had never been on a leash.

will

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 10:14:20 pm »
I used a gentle leader for my dog.  worked like a charm.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 12:10:50 am »
I know what a gentle leader is, tried a choke chain but it was not necessary,have never seen a prong collar but am curious about what it is.  My LOVE for control is the harness.  Safe, gives complete control and I love it with puppies because you can keep them safely right by your side where they belong.  WHAT IS A PRONG COLLAR?
Peggy

Icerotti

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 05:41:13 am »
I know what a gentle leader is, tried a choke chain but it was not necessary,have never seen a prong collar but am curious about what it is.  My LOVE for control is the harness.  Safe, gives complete control and I love it with puppies because you can keep them safely right by your side where they belong.  WHAT IS A PRONG COLLAR?

I could not get the pic to copy. So here is the link of a prong/pinch collar.
http://www.basset.net/kay8h.html.
It feels like if someone grabbed your arm and curled thier fingers under.  The fingers start to roll the skin in a pinching motion.
It really looks worse than it feels. When used properly is very effective.

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 06:54:05 am »
I have used all 4 collars depending on the situation.  The gentle leader is more of a management tool,  good for "controlling" jumping and pulling, eating stuff off the floor.   If I am going into a high distraction area ( lots dogs) I will use the prong collar aka as the " angel " collar. I also use the small prong on my dogs ( all my dogs are over 80 lbs) It is less bulky and gives a better correction when needed. In other situations I will use the buckle collar. I do not use choke chains anymore, b/c i too heard that info years ago .   Just remember it is not fair to correct a dog for something it does not know. Teaching it first  then proofing, then adding more distractions. Walking in the neighborhood is alot differnt then walking in the city :) 

I also ALWAYS hook my dogs up to a saftey tab when using the prong b/c as the prongs get looser and can come apart while you have the dog on leash.

Enjoy, LA
LA & Gang