Author Topic: Newf Sensibilities  (Read 13137 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Newf Sensibilities
« on: April 14, 2005, 11:17:28 am »
My Stepdad passed away the other night at home and we came to see him before he was taken away.  Our Newf Drake was there and he just knew something was up.  It is so amazing how sensitive these dogs are, they just know how people are feeling and what's going on, even without obvious signs.  He just sat by the door as if he were guarding my dad, and even barked at the funeral home people when they came as if to say, be careful with this one guys.  He knows when I'm sick, he hides when we argue and he's suddenly extra gentle around little kids and the elderly.  My wife and I are constantly looking at each other and saying, "our dog is too f**king smart!"  My wife and I grew up with several different dogs and none compared in intuitiveness like our Newfie.  It is scary sometimes, it's like he's human.  I know a lot of dogs are like this, but does anybody else feel this way about their Newf?
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Sue M.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Newf Sensibilities
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 02:44:06 pm »
Yeah, I definately do feel that Newfs are very intuitive. That's why many years ago, captains of ships would rather be without their 1st mate, than without their Newf! Newf's were very intuitive about impending dangers at sea! They are great dogs! I like to think of them as the Clydesdales of dogs!        

Once I went to take my dog for a walk. We went the same way for years. One day, for some reason, at a point where we turned left. She sat down in front of me. So I pet her and then proceded to go. Again, she sat down in front of me! This happened about 5 times. So I procede to go in a different direction. She is okay with this. To this day, I have no idea why! The very next day we went our normal course and she didn't have a problem. She never did that again! I chalk that up to her intuitions. Maybe she sensed danger for us if we had gone that way, on that day! Who knows! But, personally, I trust in their instincts and intuitions!  ;)
Sue M.
Terry, Sue
Cassie and Koda too!
Rebel, Katie Girl and Bear Bear- waiting for us at the Bridge.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 04:32:04 pm »
You are right, they just seem to know things.  I take Drake to visit people at an Alzheimers home near me.  It makes me and him feel good to spread a little joy in people's lives who are really lost and scared and don't have a lot of people visiting them.  Sometimes I don't have a lot of time or I'm not thinking and when we pass the Alzheimers home, Drake stops or starts to walk to the door.  He looks at me like, "you know we need to stop in, even for just a little while". I usually end up going in with him and that is that.  My wife has tried to bring him to work with her to visit Cancer patients.  They are the perfect dog to hug and cry on.  But, the hospital administrators have put a stop to that and say that he has to go through some extensive therapy training program.  He already knows what to do!!!  Regardless, Newfs are perfect for such things.  More Newf owners should take the time to bring a little light into the lives of people with special needs with their Newf.  Who doesn't smile when they see a Newf?
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 04:35:50 pm »
So here is a great story of how intuitive Newfs are. Last month there were a string of robberies in our neighborhood prompting a neighborhood program. We went, met our neighbors and then thought that everything was fine again. Well about two weeks later I was home by myself on a Friday night. Bear was outside relaxing so I left him there while I went to take a shower. As soon as I finished, I heard him banging on the sliding glass door barking very loudly and excitedly- not quite a familiar bark but I decided not to think much of it. I let him in and about 5 minutes later a secuiry guard came knocking on the door saying someone had called in a loud, nervous sounding dog bark. I told the officer everything was fine and not to worry because Bear probably just wanted inside. Well I came to find out through a neighbor the following week (who thought I had made the call to security) that someone had in fact tried to get into her home right after Bear went nuts. Was it really someone trying to break in? I'm not sure but I know I'll never disregard his protective instincts again! I LOVE my boy!

Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Sue M.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 08:36:40 pm »
Newflover: I just love to hear you and Drake are going to the Alzheimers home. I think it's a wonderful thing and really brings joy to those people. That is such a win win situation! I would like to get Koda trained to be a Therapy Dog. We have a mentally retarded boy who lives across from us. He just loved our beloved Rebel. His eyes would light up and he'd just get overjoyed.Sadl y, Rebel crossed the bridge this past Oct. Our Cassie is a bit too over zealous for this but our Koda went over the other day and he was overjoyed! I really think it's good for him. He has spent his own money on rawhide bones for Rebel at Christmas time. He wraps them up and all! Your right, people can't help but smile when they see a Newf!

Jabear: What a comfort for you to know that you have such a good protector! Way to go Bear!!!! 8) What a good dog!! Give Bear lots of Bear Hugs! He deserves em!

Sue M.
Terry, Sue
Cassie and Koda too!

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 05:15:14 am »
Hello All,

I agree also that these wonderful Newfies are very intuitive.  Our 2 males are very on the alert especially if I am home alone they are much more protective and watchful.   They also have 2 different barks the friendly, goofy, come play with me bark and the big, deep protective bark.  They always stand between me and the door for any delivery guys or strangers that come to the door.

One of the neatest instinctive things that our big male Klondike did was in the bay.  He was about a year old and we were swimming in the bay with them.  He was just about at the shore line going in and I started to pretend I was in trouble in the water by splashing about and calling him for help.  He turned around so fast, swam out to me and backed his butt into my chest for me to grab on!  It was so cool to see it gave me goose bumps!  People on shore watching him were so impressed and gave him great applause when he came in!  We had talked about I wonder how you get them to do that and one day he just did it!  So now we are in training with our 3 Newfies for pet therapy pups and when we are at the shore in the summer we are trying to work on more water rescue.

We are so fortunate to have been introduced to this beautiful breed and are now, 3 of them later, totally hooked!

Anita from NJ

Offline Sue M.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 05:40:56 am »
That is really Cool! It gives me goosebumps too! Kudos for Klondike!!! 8)
I saw a segment on Unsolved Mysteries before where a Newf, that was never water rescue trained, saved a deaf and speech impaired man who was drounding and couldn't call out for help. The woman said that her dog looked out at the man and looked back at her with a look that said, "Ya know I need to go in there!" She told the dog to go and he did save this man! That gave me goose bumps too!

What beautiful Landseers! :)
Terry, Sue
Cassie and Koda too!

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 08:35:59 am »
Thanks for the compliments!   :)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Gentle Giant Re: Newf Sensibilities
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 10:16:02 am »
My wife and I just heard this story about a newf a couple of weeks ago.  I believe it was a newfie dog from Canada - he was blind and because of his disability, he didn't normally get in the water but on one occasion he and his owner were walking along the beach when he heard someone drowning out in the surf. Apparently he swam out following the sounds and eventually saved this person. If this is a true story, this certainly supports the nature of a newfs sensibility. Its fascinating to consider what they might be thinking when they hear human cries – for help or attention. I know in our experience, we have to keep a close eye on Bear if there are children in or around water. Once they start screaming, even in laughter, he goes into rescue mode.
I believe it is because of the sensitive and emotional nature of the newfoundland dog that they are able to respond so well to humans and their emotions.