Author Topic: Grieving Collie - Any suggestions, please!  (Read 59093 times)

Offline Harrigon

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Grieving Collie - Any suggestions, please!
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2005, 06:57:13 am »
A few years ago, when I was in Georgia and My neighbor, Mr. Harris was still around.... He had a little grey female kitten he called Lucky. I had a little black chow named Baboo. Baboo and Lucky were the best of friends, and spent all of their time playing together. One day Baboo decided to wander off-(he loved the kids in the houses behind us)- and never came back. I searched everywhere for months and never found him. One of the hardest things was trying to comfort Lucky. she would come in the house and search every room calling for Baboo, and she did this over and over for several days. She was never the same after that. This is something I have learned about Cats over the years... Once they lose their best friend, they will never have another. they will have friends and family, but they won't play with them or other cat things... I know that dogs feel loss deeply, all I can tell you is to sit with her. just sit and talk to her. Sometimes they can't get passed the grief.  I have a very large baby now, Named Mobey. He is a chow/lab mix. He loves cats... can't get enough of them, and he has adopted three strays from the neighborhood. They absolutely adore and worship him as their hero because he protects them from evil dogs and mean cats. He worries if he can't find them before bedtime. Maybe if your girl starts to feel better, you might think about getting her a kitten to take care of. A new baby seems to bring out the joy in their hearts. I am sorry for your great loss.  :-*

dohertyswissy

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2005, 12:29:54 pm »
 :'(  I'm so sorry to hear of your losses.  Hopefully, you can find some comfort in the fact that Buck and Gypsy are romping around together waiting to see you again.  Ranger (my Swissy) and I are sending you hugs and will keep you in our thoughts.

Heather & Ranger

Offline TMowner

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2005, 12:58:30 pm »
Although I am not an active person on this list I am terribly sorry for your loss, we have lost a shep x collie (Cleo) in late Oct last year from a seizure and then had to euthainze our 15 year old Tibetan Mastiff Jessie...Cleo and Jessie had been life long buddies since we brough Jessie home at the age of two and after Cleo passed away Jessie withered away.

Time will lessen the pain, but often it will only take a kind word or an old photograph to make you shed more tears.  Take comfort in knowing that you and anyone that actually feels emotion when an animal passes away are special spirits and that you will again one day be able to comb their wonderful fur and have them lick your face with gladness at seeing you.

Although we still have (3) Tibetan Mastiffs I still mourn the loss of both dogs and will continue to do so until I meet them both again.  HUGS....

Offline KERHAVEN

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2005, 01:53:20 pm »
I just joined this site..I am a collie breeder. I live in Canada.
I  was particularly "touched" and became teary eyed as I read of your collie Gypsy. Sometimes our chums bond very strongly with one another...I too have a collie  named Gypsy..almost two years ago, I recieved a phone call telling me one of my collies was in a very "bad" way. The collie was Gypsy's litter brother Dino. I made arrangments to have him returned to me..the people who had him, rather then notifying me they had decided to not keep Dino..simply handed him off to strangers! Fortunately for Dino..the 'strangers' were well meaning and did TRY to look after him, but they two fell on "bad times" and they had to give him up. Another lady who had for over a year (prior to his being given away by the people I THOUGHT still had him) had observed the long dreadful months (nearly two years actually) of neglect and horrible loneliness that the big gentle collie had endured (unbeknown to ME) The 'strangers' he had been given too we about to give him to a farm home. This lady (THANK GOD) intervened. She managed to find out I was his breeder and she got in touch with ME!!
Dino returned..he was in dreadful shape..dirty and matted,nearly crippled with arthritis (he was only 7 1/2 years old at the time), the kind strangers who had him didn't know how to groom the mats out and though they tried brushing him..they only managed to address the surface of his coat..not all the way to the skin. Plus they were old and just didn't have the strength to bath him nor could they afford a groomer apparently.
Gypsy remembered Dino instantly though she had not seen him in over 2 years.
Dino remembered her and ME :)
I know Gypsy is more bonded to ME then she is to Dino (thank GOD) and he is more bonded to me then to his sister..but they do care deeply for each other as well. 
When the day comes, and I must say "farewell" to one of them..I will make sure the other has a chance to have closure.  I know whichever one is left behind..will grieve but will overcome the grief..still it will be hard, on both of us.
Many years ago, I knew a pair of GSDs who were bonded like your sweet Gypsy and dear Buck. When her mate was killed by a car..right in front of her eyes..the female, even though she 'knew' what happened grieved so deeply she just gave up. Like your Gypsy she would not eat..but she did drink..she howled piteoulsy day after day...finally one week later, she joined her mate. They found her in the kitchen..head across her paws lying in the same 'spot' that had been HIS in life.
Dogs as we know are capable of GREAT love and loyalty, few humans have this capacity for love..but SOME do.
I am so sorry..this is so very hard on you..to lose one chum is heart breaking..to lose two within days of each other..I can't even imagine how much sorrow this has caused.    Darlene :'(

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2005, 08:45:03 pm »
So sorry for your loss.  My thoughts are with you.

Offline Beath Anim.Shelter

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2005, 06:40:44 am »
Hi, all,
Thanks, again, everyone.  What an outpouring of compasson!  I've re-read
them, and they are comforting.  

Our dogs' lifespan is shorter than ours (usually).
Over the years,  we have to say goodbye to several good friends .

My family founded (and still runs) a HUGE NO-KILL Shelter in Dillwyn, VA.
Mom has 116 dogs and about 40 cats right now.  They are very very
active in placing dogs.  My Mom feels very deeply whenever they lose a dog or cat.  Each one is precious to her.

NOTE:  Beath Animal Shelter serves a large region.  They do not transport, take rescues from out of state, etc.  With 116 dogs, they are busy enough!

But, at my home in Front Royal, VA, I foster a couple at a time, and  work with other rescues.  

This week I'll travel to Beath Anim. Shelter (about 2 hrs) and bring back a foster dog.  A nice cattle dog.  I'll clean her up, work with her, and look for a good home for her.  That's the best therapy I can imagine!

I have room for one more foster dog.  I only foster 2 at a time.  
I placed my last foster dog before my big dogs became ill.
Helping a homeless dog find a permanent home is very satisfying.
Somewhere along the way, one (or more) of them will find their
permanent home here with us.
Connie

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2005, 10:53:56 pm »
What an incredible ordeal! I'm glad you making it thru!

Offline puisheb

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2005, 07:55:55 pm »
I am very sorry to hear of your loss.  My heart and prayers are with you.  Know that they are with you in spirit and that the puppies and dogs in your future will bring you a great joy once again. 

Emily
Aspen, Leeza, and Scooter

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2005, 10:58:46 pm »
Please accept my most sincere & heartfelt condolences on the loss of your fur babies...In our back yard we have a "critter graveyard' where lies 2 of our guinea pigs & a kitten that didn't have a chance from her start...One day all 12 of our fur babies that are still with us will lie beneath that majestic old tree that shades their final resting place...My favorite memorial in their "garden" is a stone that reads "Those who we hold in our arms for a little while will then live in our hearts forever"...I think that says it all...Wouldn't it be grand if they could only live as long as we?

Offline Malishiku

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Airreyalis - Malinois & Shikoku
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2005, 02:30:11 am »
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad though that your getting through it, it's not always easy...actuall y...it's never easy to lose a beloved member or members of the family. At least those two are still being well-taken care of and have each other, and probably lots of others too, to look after.

I've had many animals (not too mention humans as well) pass away (mostly rodents and birds) but the ones that mattered the very most was my cat, Jake, and my rabbit, Adonolas (who died just last Tuesday, May 3rd  :'( ). So I can imagine what you must be going through. For me, at least, it does get to be more "managable" as the days, weeks and months dreer on. Of course, it really helps though when you have somebody who needs you. I think it's great what you're doing helping out the canines that need a home. Who knows...maybe one might end up adopting you  ;D. Then your heart will be stolen away once again, tis the cycle of the circle of life, that's what I've learned.

I wish you well and will keep you and your two beloved pals in prayer.

Take care,

=(^ - ^)= Silverstorm
=(^ - ^)= / ) Corina A. Gonzalez
www.airreyalis .com
Belgian Malinois & Shikoku Ken

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2005, 12:54:35 pm »
Connie,

I just now read this.  It brought tears to my eyes.  I wont bother you with stories similar to yours of my own.  Just know that my prayers are with you and I totally understand.  Her dedication to Buck was so touching.  Bless your heart.

Prayers on the wind for you,
Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline ulfie56

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2005, 08:31:31 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss and for Gypsy's. I had a similar situation saveral years ago. I tried everything. After almost two weeks of Kiki not eating my vet told me to go (as in now...) and get another dog. I wanted to wait but went out that day to a rescue and brought Casey home. After the first two days I was ready to take her back. Kiki was throwing up and rolling in it, you name it. My husbad said to give it at least a week. I didn't need to - by day four all was OK. Anyway, just a thought.

Offline WolfiesDad

• Gnawer
  • Me and My Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2005, 03:49:42 am »
 :'(  I am so sorry for all of your loss.....and you know that deep in your heart they are young and frolicing in everything they can get their paws into, and still be shiny and clean.  I don't know if you have ever tried this...but it worked for me when my mom had to put down Stinker...our "party poodle"....I watched "All Dogs go To heaven".
It made me realize that the more love you give to them the more they will be even stronger in your heart when they are gone.  Wolfie and I send our prayers and thoughts to you and your family.  :(
8^)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2005, 04:11:27 am »
I agree toally,and while this may be off the subject, I will say it anyway..I am in the middle of placing 13 Kuvasz pups, I have 8 females and 5 males.  All five males were placed with deposits quickly, and 2 females, I just recieved an email from the gentleman and his wife who paid a deposit stating they really " were not ready to take him , althogh we want to terribly, our lives right now are so busy and we just can;t give the time to him we know he needs.  We also know you have the right to keep our deposit and that is up to you, but we know in the right circumstances we would make excellent Kuv parents"  I am new to breeding but take great pride in my Kuv kids, Iknow they are worth the time and I know they are excellent, but how can you turn your back on your babies?  I could not keep this man;s deposit, he recognized before he came to get his pup that it was not the right time, and I am returning his deposit.  I realize that normally deposits are non refundable but I would rather place a pup in asure home than risk that pups emotional distress when he comes back t me with owners that could not or were not ready to take on the responsibility of him/her.  Despite many others opinions that they forfeit the money already paid, I feel that they were smart enough to admit they were not ready and that not only saved my pup but saved me and them a load of heartache.  Wouldn't you do the same?
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Beath Anim.Shelter

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2005, 09:17:08 am »

Thank you, more than I can express.
I'm touched by the outpouring of caring people.  And, by your own
experiences with losing a dear one.

While my 2 dogs were struggling, I was determined to think ONLY
of what they needed -- no personal indulgences for myself - they could read me like a book! 

Now they are gone, and they knew they were loved.  They watched me, over the years, as I  learned to listen to them.  And, yes, I'm sure I still missed some of their requests.  But, they were both patient and forgiving with me...

My work with Mom's NO KILL Shelter (Beath Animla Shelter, Dillwyn VA) will give me more chances to learn from other precious animals -- and help them find their true home.

Thanks, again, for being so moved by their experience, to conact me.
Maybe that's another of Buck and Gypsy's lessons -- keep connecting with people like you!
Connie