Author Topic: Can some please help...Theres something wrong with Onyx  (Read 9625 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Can some please help...Theres something wrong with Onyx
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 09:41:04 am »
Wow well glad that everything turned out ok for the mom and pups :)
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

smohr

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 12:15:25 pm »
YES!  It looks like what my dane had once when she was young.  I don't remember what it was called but I had to give her some STRONG antibiotics and my vet advised giving her yogurt while on the meds.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 07:29:12 pm »
Looks like hives to me.  Ringworm is round and does not look like that at all.  I would suspect some sort of food allergy that your other dogs don't have.  Just my own educated by experience guess.  The vet will know for sure.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 07:36:17 pm »
Looks like she laid in a pile of fire ants. Do you live in the South? 'Course those would probably aggravate her if they were ant bites.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2005, 06:46:11 pm »
ok we went to the vet the other day and I spent $300 for the vet to tell me that she's never seen anything like it and is not quite sure what it is. She took some skin scrapings and told me to call in two weeks. She gave me some shampoo that she said "should help" and I have to wash her THREE times a week. Onyx HATES baths! She also told me to keep her away from the other dogs cause they might get it but they have been together for this long and they havent gotten it. Onyx misses the others so badly and she whines all day and night, and poor Thor he seems lost with out her.

Posted on: September 01, 2005, 09:36:17 PMPosted by: jjfritsche
Looks like she laid in a pile of fire ants. Do you live in the South? 'Course those would probably aggravate her if they were ant bites.

No we dont have fire ants around here or the really big ones just the usual little ones.

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 06:53:46 pm »
Twice now we have had Rocky to the vet for something that looks similar but not as many lesions as your pup. My Vet was confident that it was a staph infection. It is caused by Staph Aureus which is a normal skin bacteria that sometimes can start a skin infection. Rocky's lesions had pimple like areas that  had a white "head".  He is taking Keflex and we had to wash him w/ a benzoil peroxide shampoo. I think he didn't take the antibiotic long enough the first time and it came back. this time he is taking it for 2 full weeks.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 06:59:25 pm »
Tonka had the bumps on her lower belly, but did not have anything in her fur, they said it was puppypyroderma which is like a yeast/staph infection. We had her on Kflex(sp) and a wash to was off the area everytime she went outside and a spray. We also had to follow the yogurt routine with the meds so we just ended up keeping her on the yogurt. The vet took skin scrapes and let me know what it was that day. I hope Onyx gets better.
Love,
Tasha and Tonka

Offline Hedda Garland

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 09:23:22 am »
We just had either ringworm or sarcoptic mange with our dog and started doing sulfur sponge baths. It really seems to help for either and if there are mites involved they will be taken care of. The dog is not crazy about it but neither am I because of the odor that comes with the bath. But at least we can possibly stay away from injections.
Hedda :)