Author Topic: What is the right time to switch to adult food?  (Read 5160 times)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
What is the right time to switch to adult food?
« on: September 01, 2005, 03:22:41 pm »
I've heard a bunch of conflicting information.  Our breeders told us to keep our dog on puppy food until he was two, as St.'s are puppies for about two years.  Also, one of the vets where we go confirmed that.  However, Seamus saw a vet today and he told us to switch now. 
Seamus is 16 months now.  He is a VERY finicky eater and is really underweight, he fluctuates between 125 and 133 b/c he'll sometimes go a day or two and not eat much and then gorge himself another.  This behavior started about the time the weather started to get warm, so I've attributed it to the heat.  I'm a little worried about how thin he is.  The vet hasn't said anything and he seems healthy.  He drinks plenty of water and his energy level is good.  The only thing i've noticed is severe itching all over his body.  The vet says allergies and recommends a hypoallergenic food.  Could it be something else?
So, two questions- when to switch to adult food AND could there be something wrong with him?  Thanks!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: What is the right time to switch to adult food?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 04:01:55 pm »
I believe that the sooner that saints are switched to adult food the better, and every vet I have seen has agreed with that. Because of HD, which most saints have to some degree, the slower they grow the better their chances are with their hips. By switching to adult food early in life you help slow down growth. My saint zoey has been on adult food since the day we got her for that reason.

Also, I would deffinately try switching food in case allergies are causeing his itching.
RIP former BPO

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 04:56:21 pm »
Honestly, a giant breed dog is a puppy mentally for 2-3 years, but their nutritional needs are very different than regular puppies.  If you think about it, a giant breed puppy at a year old is already bigger than most dogs, plus most puppy foods, even when they say large breed aren't made for a Giant breed puppy.  The slower a Giant breed grows the better, and unfortunatley most puppy foods have extra protien in them to speed up growth.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 05:33:37 pm »
Good question, thanks for asking it as I've been wondering the same thing now.
Moose has been on half puppy-half adult food since I got him, he's 7 months old now and I was wondering if he could be switched to straight adult food now.
Glad I ran into this post !!

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 06:53:40 pm »
I feed raw - so not such a deal with me....but I have heard that the giant breed dogs should really not be on commercial puppy food cause the protien is too high.....but I can't say for sure if this is right

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 12:40:29 am »
That is the million dollar question.  Every owner or breeder has a different recommendation .  We keep puppy food until 3 months and switch to adult gradually,  we have talked to many different breeders and owners, and some say puppy until 6 months, 8 months, some say adult at 3 months 6 months.  As we are relatively new to teh large breed (3 years of being owned by our babies) I take our friends advise who has had Kuvasz for 35 plus years and feed her recommended schedule.  So far so good.  We switch at 3 months.  It is a research decision I think.
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 06:41:16 am »
I switched Samson to adult food at 9 months...Pippi n has been getting 1/2 large breed puppy & 1/2 adult kibble that is compatible to both he & Sam...I am switching Pippin to adult food completely...H e is 6 & 1/2 months old.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 11:09:43 am »
Thanks everybody for the responses!  I think we have decided to switch.  B/c of Seamus' constant itching the vet recommended a hypoallergenic food.  We haven't had him allergy tested so we don't even know if it is a food allergy, but that seems most likely.   The vet gave us a prescription for MRX RC Canine LID Potato and Venison.  Has anyone heard of it?  I don't think it is made for large breeds so i'm a little concerned about it, although his itching is REALLY bothering him. 
He is currently on Nutro large breed puppy, but he hates it.  We have to mix in wet food in order for him to eat at all.  I think switching his food is going to be kind of an ordeal, as he has a really weak stomach and gets the runs easily.  B/c of that we don't want to have to keep switching his food.  AHH!  What to do?
Let me know if there are any suggestions or if anyone has heard of that food I mentioned.  Thanks!

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 12:51:37 pm »
I know what you mean about the sensitive stomach. I haven't heard of the food that you are switching to, but take it VERY slow. In the past when we have switched Hutch's food we did it gradually over a two week period. His belly is so delicate that we have to watch what kind of treats he is given. So many people think that I am a mean Mommy because I won't let them give Hutch a treat! Oh well, let them think I'm mean, I know what is best for my boy!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 01:52:33 pm »
I've heard of the potato and venison, although I don't know if it was the same brand you have, but it was thru the vet office I worked for.

I think it worked very well with food allergic dogs, but you're right, it was not made specifically for giant breed dogs, but that doesn't mean he can't or shouldn't eat it.  There are many sensitive stomach and allergy foods out there now.  You have to find what works for you, and sometimes it can take awhile.

Keiko has allergies too, but unfortunately, they're not food allergies, so no simple changes for us.  She has to be on meds until we move back home, where hopefully she will go back to normal.

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 04:13:34 am »
I am so glad everyone is talking about this.  I, too, have been wondering about the food issue.

We began supplementing very small doses of Ester C in Katie's diet - the research shows it goes a long way towards preventing displaysia, but the protien factor is still worrisome.

At four months - Katie has been growing like a weed.  We were told that too quick growth could hurt her bones - but a hungry puppy doesn't sound good either.

I'm going to look into reducing her protein intake. 

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 01:18:45 pm »
Thanks everybody for the responses!  I think we have decided to switch.  B/c of Seamus' constant itching the vet recommended a hypoallergenic food.  We haven't had him allergy tested so we don't even know if it is a food allergy, but that seems most likely.   The vet gave us a prescription for MRX RC Canine LID Potato and Venison.  Has anyone heard of it?  I don't think it is made for large breeds so i'm a little concerned about it, although his itching is REALLY bothering him. 
He is currently on Nutro large breed puppy, but he hates it.  We have to mix in wet food in order for him to eat at all.  I think switching his food is going to be kind of an ordeal, as he has a really weak stomach and gets the runs easily.  B/c of that we don't want to have to keep switching his food.  AHH!  What to do?
Let me know if there are any suggestions or if anyone has heard of that food I mentioned.  Thanks!

Do you know what the brand is?  Just because it doesn't SAY Giant breed doesn't mean it's bad.  I HATE shopping for dog food because there's so much research involved now.  Check the protein levels.  I don't know what it is for Saints, but Dane puppies shouldn't have any food that contains more than 24% protien. 

Also find out WHY the food is hypoallergenic .  The number 1 dog food allergy is corn, but some dogs are also allergic to wheat, and barley.  READ ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS!  Some dogs have tummy issues with alternative protiens (ie Venision, Duck, Fish, Rabbit, ect) so keep that in mind when you're trying a new food out.  Sanity has been through 5 different kinds of food before we found something that worked, and if this didn't work I had a waiting list of 7 more to try.  All had different protien sources, and ingredients, it's just messing around till you find something that works.

Ang 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 02:28:29 pm »
I have Chester on Eagle Pack because of his itching on Neutro.  He's doing much better but still can get stomach issues when he eats things he shouldn't (what is it with wood chips??? Does he think he's a frickin' termite???) so I've started giving him Vitalzyme which seems to help so much!  Cowboy has been on it since I got him (over a year ago) and he's never had a stomach problem!  It was recommended to me by Cowboy's breeder and it seems to be great stuff!