Author Topic: Evil Foxtail made Bear go to the Vet  (Read 10300 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Evil Foxtail made Bear go to the Vet
« on: September 01, 2005, 10:07:35 pm »
Two weeks ago Bear went camping/hiking with Michael on the boys weekend trip. He had a blast as you saw from the photos and well...he got a foxtail stuck on the top of his nuckle.  :o
I am usually really good about cleaning him and brushing him after trips to make sure nothing gross is hanging around. Well, this time I found two ticks (gross!) and a few foxtails. I thought he was great! I even cleaned up his toe pads and cut his belly hair last weekend. Well- Monday comes around and Nicki calls me at work and says "ok- don't panic"....of course I am freaking out as she says this..."but Bear has a nasty foot. It looks kinda bad". So I worry the whole way home and when I walk in I see some hair pulled out and he is licking it. There is a hole in the center of it and I am thinking ok, it must has been a foxtail he got out and he will be fine. I cleaned it and put a sock on him to prevent licking and hoped it would be better in the morning. Unfortunately, we had no such luck.  :(
It has gotten worse and today I took him to the vet. She said it was a foxtail and told me that they just travel through the body. She even told me that one tiny dog died a few weeks ago because a foxtail got into he lungs and punctured one. Yikes!! So, she shaved his toe area where the infection was and applied topical stuff to numb it. Then she took out some tweezer things to try to get it out. She didn't find anything and is hoping that it has gone already but if no we have to go back next week. He'll then be put out and she will take it out by cutting him.  :o So for now we are hoping for the best! He is on anit-inflamatories and has to soak his paw twice a day.
I never knew that foxtails could be so nasty and do so much damage. I hope that he heels soon! My poor baby feel so bad. Here are some pics from today.

1. Bear chillin' in the front seat on the way to get Michael.
2. Bear & I loving each other (I had the camera in my left hand)
3. Bear's paw post-vet
4. Bear's paw post-vet
5. Sad little cub after soaking his paw
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

Re: Evil Foxtail made Bear go to the Vet
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 10:10:23 pm »
oh he looks terrible!  poor cubs!

i'll just have to cheer him up tomorrow lol

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 10:18:39 pm »
I know! Please do...my poor baby.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:23:09 pm »
Poor Bear.  Foxtails are nasty especially in the Spring.  They work their way in and in and have a hard time coming out.  I have had them get in nose and vet has to get them out with long tweezers.  Sure hope it is out but I know Bear is getting good care.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 10:29:53 pm »
OMG Peggy! That is awful.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 10:39:27 pm »
Poor Bear!    :-*  Spencer says kisses makes all booboo's better.  We've never had to deal with foxtails luckily.  Burdocks... yes.. oodles and oodles of burdocks, but no foxtails.  We're wishing Bear the best luck getting his paw better, poor pupper!
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 10:47:25 pm »
Daneinsane,
Foxtails are evil! They look innocent enough but are not. Here is a picture of two types. They burrow in the skin and in our case create an infection when they can't get out of the skin.
Hugs,
Jaime

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 06:34:59 am »
That poor "little" guy!...Ty for the foxtail info...I will be on the lookout!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 07:23:05 am »
Awww poor bear   :'( thanks for the info, I never knew that could happen. I thought that foxtail was those annoying round spiky ball things, but now I know what they are and will be on the look out!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 07:26:34 am »
Poor little bear.  I had never heard of foxtails either - thanks for the info.  Now what the heck are BURDOCKS?!?!   ???
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Anakalia

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 07:39:05 am »
OMG!!  I'm soo sorry Bear has to deal with this, he's so friggin' adorable!!  I read an aritcle on Foxtails about a month ago, but didn't know if it was a hoax or not, apparently it isn't.  I hope he gets better soon, his paw looks so sore! 

Andi

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 07:43:08 am »
Oh man! sorry to hear about Bear's paw, that looks like it hurts.  Get better soon bear.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

dohertyswissy

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 07:53:59 am »
Poor Bear cub!  Mean ol' foxtails!  I hope he is feeling better soon.  Give him kisses for me!

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 07:58:24 am »
Are burdocks "sticky burrs?"
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 08:15:21 am »
Poor little bear.  I had never heard of foxtails either - thanks for the info.  Now what the heck are BURDOCKS?!?!   ???

They are horrid little things(about 1-2" in diameter) that look like brown spikey balls.  They have little hooks on the end of each spike to grab on to clothing, hair, fur etc...  They then explode/fall apart when you try to remove them, each of the spines seperating from the ball.  They grow in huge bushes with hundreds per plant.   When they attach, they are like velcro and gather all surrounding hair/fur into a big not.    Needless to say, they are a HUGE PITA.   :P  Even worse, Mojo learned that he gets brushed when he gets them, so he likes to run full tilt through Burdock bushes.  Yuck!

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant02.htm

BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.