Author Topic: Mean Lady at the Vets! - It never fails  (Read 5355 times)

Offline SwissysRock

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • I love my SWISSY!
    • View Profile
Mean Lady at the Vets! - It never fails
« on: September 02, 2005, 06:42:42 am »
Usually, when I go anywhere with Riley, people ooh and aah at him because he is such a rare breed and also cause hes huge.  But there always seem to someone who is scared (understandable since hes so big), and I am always aware of my surroundings, making sure not to get too close to people who look frightened.

Last night, I took Riley to the vet for part 2 of his lyme vaccination.  We walk in, and there is a woman with a kitty in a carrier and then another woman sitting there, staring at me with this mean "oh my god, look at the size of that monster" look in her face.  Obviously I could tell that she was afraid of Riley and didn't want anything to do with him.  After talking to the receptionist, I looked back and she was still giving me the same dirty look - WE'RE AT THE FRICKIN VET FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!  So I say to her, "hes a really nice dog".  She just gave me attitude and with the worst boston accent I've heard, she says to me "puttem ova theyaaa" pointing to the other side of the room.   I wanted to knock her out, but I nicely said "ok." 

Riley is the sweetest dog in the world and wouldn't hurt a fly, but just because of his size, people stereotype - I HATE THAT!  Makes me so mad!  >:(
Tina
:)
Riley's Momma

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Mean Lady at the Vets! - It never fails
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 06:48:50 am »
I totally hear ya!...The best we can hope for with such idiots is that a long string of flying dog drool from our big mean :D dogs smacks them across the face! ;D

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 07:09:45 am »
I agree with Gypsy!  People like that drive me mad. After all, our giant breed dogs are well behaved and have manners but beacuse of their sheer size they get stereotyped and discrimated against >:(
Whenever we are around people like that, I hope Bella and Rocco fling some flying drool their way ;D  That always spices things up!!
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 07:12:39 am »
Poor Riley.  Its so sad when people are nasty to our puppers, especially when we go out of our way to be good owners.  All the pups want is some loving, but they can tell through that person's body language and behavior that they don't like them. 

I'm glad I don't have to deal with it too often, I feel especially sorry for bully breed owners and other "BSL" breeds.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Blair

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 07:17:19 am »
awe poor Riley  :( I hate to deal with people like that but I get it all the time with Zeus. Mr. Grey smacked some mean person with drool right on their fancy pants, it was great LOL

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 07:35:21 am »
I take all three of mine into the vet at the same time, get a good multi-discount that way. I cannot count the number of times that we cleared the waiting room. My take on Ms. Boston Accent? I'm sorry that my dogs make you uncomfortable. Feel free to move ovvaa theyaa, so you don't feel as threatened.
Stella

dohertyswissy

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 08:10:16 am »
ARGH!  I get the same thing sometimes with Ranger and like Riley, he is a big ol' teddy bear!  People should worry about the small dogs - usually 9 times out of 10 they are the ones with the attitude problems!!!

Some people are ignorant and if they don't take the time to EDUCATE themselves about other animals it makes me CRAZY. 

Stella - I love your comeback.

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 09:04:10 am »
Poor Riley..and poor Swissy for having to put up with it.

Stories like that make me count my blessings that I live out in the country. It's a competition at my Vet's office to see which technician is going to be first over the counter to grab one of my boys. They LOVE the big dogs there, and when any of us call ahead to make an appointment, more often than not, they're trying to rearrange their work schedule to ensure that they are the one at the front desk when we come in. *lol* (It's a stunning visual, I assure you. A pack of grown women fighting to hold a leash and be the first to love on one of the pups *snicker*)

Stella's comeback was awesome, but I sincerly hope that you made mention of it to your receptionist, if not your Vet. Attitudes like that affect our dogs. They are very intelligent, and have a great sence of people's emotions. Attitudes like that can make an uncomfortable situation (going to the Vet in the first place) even worse, and can escalate any misbehavior they might display.

Love and kisses for Riley!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 10:51:16 am »
I find the staff at my vets to be awesome, they love my bigguns. The other customers that are there though can be very rude, though. And generally they are mouthing off to me while their lap sized puntable object is snarling and lunging at every moving creature in the joint. The poor staff just shake their head, because the people are as much their clients as I am, and they are not in a position to chastise. I however do not have that problem and speak my mind.
Stella

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 11:06:36 am »
I have the opposite issue at the vet, everyone wants to sit really close to use, especially people with cats or kids.  Of course, my guys love kids so they get excited and try to get as close as possible to the kid.  Then I am trying to keep order while my dogs are edging toward the kid.  Or cats, cats are great, I have a stray cat which my guys love.  Cats they don't know must smell great because they will take you down just to sniff the scared little beasts.

I always try to sit in the back of the room but people gravitate towards us.  Last time I was the vet a lady with a big intact lab asked if Rocco was friendly and I said no just because I wasn't sure how he would react to the other male.  He has fought with a couple intact males at the park before so I didn't want to risk it.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 01:49:47 pm »
Poor Riley! I am sure you  had 101 combacks for her after you left the vet toohuh? I always do but have nothing to say at the moment.

By the way, I love the accent you described. It made me laugh outloud.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline GreytGirl

• Gnawer
  • Sleepy Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 02:58:13 pm »
There's always those people... it's annoying as sin!
People at the vets always Ooo and Aaahhh at Madison because she's a greyhound and blah-di-blah-di-blah.... (the blahs are answering questions and assuring them that they are not 'high strung' and such) but when we take Madison to run with her buddies, we put a muzzle on her (and the other people we go with muzzle their greys too, pack mentality stuff...) and people AUTOMATICALLY assume that because of the muzzle, she's going to attack their dog or something.

First off... your dog is more likely to hurt my dog... because your's isn't muzzled and he'll rip a chunk out of my helpless pooch... so chill.

THAT and when people like... AVOID Madison because they think she's going to attack them because she's a greyhound. (And apparently general consensus is that they are mean... ???)

Whatever, we don't have to live with them every day in our houses, and they are one of few that actually freak out and get rude...  when this happens, I usually just start calling Madison "Killer"... as in, "Oh, okay... c'mon Killer, let's go look at doggie food." (Priceless.)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 05:47:16 pm »
Phyfe is the kind of dog that can "turn off".  If I say lay down and be quiet then all the commotion in  the vet's office ceases to exist.  He just finds a big enough corner to flop in and tunes it all out.  If a little dog gets in his face however, he usually puts his big face down next to them and lets them see down his throat as he gives them a WOOF! that blows their fur back.  Most little ones take off for Mommy's lap and don't come back.

Earnest, on the other hand, needs constant attention.  He'll sit and behave, but only if you stay right on top of him, and he loves people so much it's a real struggle when strangers want to wind him up. 
I constantly have to INSIST strangers stop talking to him in the stupid puppy voice because if they do it too long he's going to start wagging all over and lose his mind.  He's okay with a little bit of it, but if someone gushes over him he just melts.  Earnest is 150lbs and solid muscle- when he when he does the hula it's pretty destructive.

I'd much rather have a scaredy cat that keeps their distance, even if they have a snotty attitude.  One of my mom's neighbors told her one time that "dogs shouldn't be allowed to be that big", and she was going to complain about my two staying at Granma's house.  You should have seen her face when I came home from work-- in the Animal Control truck.

awo

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 06:18:09 pm »
If it was me and she had that attitude, I would have told me saint dudley to "Get the kitty"!  LOL.  I do have three cats and they rule the hosue, but god it would be funny to see the look on her snutty face.

awo