Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina  (Read 6766 times)

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Hurricane Katrina
« on: September 02, 2005, 06:20:40 pm »
I'd like some of you guys ipinions of what you think of the rescue effort that is going on?  Myself I think it is a sad day when the US can help other countries and can't help our own citizens. One of the things that really bugs me is they keep refering to the people as refugees. They are not refugees. Today at work a vendor from Coke asked what I was doing for the weekend and I told her nothing. She then responded that she was going to Houston for a family gathering and thought she would have to slum with the refugees. My facial expression must of said what I really wanted to say to her :o. My aunt and cousins live in Gautier MS about 35 miles eat of Biloxi. I spoke with my aunt today and conditions are like a war zone. Her family traveled to Mobil Al to just get a hot meal and try to find a laundry mat to wash clothes. My cousin is not uneducated or on state aid. She is a well respected attorney and she is under the impression that most people watching the TV are getting the impression that most of the people in the hurricane zone are. What is this country coming too? Sorry guys just needed to vent. >:(
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Blair

Re: Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 06:31:36 pm »
I think its a sad day when a Senator of a state needs to go on national TV and beg for help [The Louisiana Senator was on TV last night begging for help], its a sad day when a Mother is holding her dying child and begging for help! :'( This really hits home cause it is my home, where I grew up, where I have a lot of memories, where my whole family lives. I am now in Texas and safe but half my famliy is still missing, no word or sight of them. I agree with you, we should be helping our own. The military base in my town is leaving tomorrow to finally go help. But a local TV news station crew is already in Baton Rouge sending supplies to New Orleans. If i could I would down there first hand and help all in need and search for my missing family, but I cant. Our people should come first PERIOD! This is a very sad to see this happening in our own country. I cant watch TV without crying and my heartbreaking  :'(
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 06:33:22 pm by Blair »

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 06:39:09 pm »
I don't understand why it has taken so long for the Government to step in. These are desperate people who are watching people die around them and they have to feel hopeless. The news focuses on the few who are looting and shooting at the law but look at those poor people at the convention center, it is a war zone! Our government sent help the same day the tsunami hit but it took 5 days to send in the National Guard? I sit watching the news and cry, my husband keeps asking me what's wrong? I am a nurse and when they show the nurses  trying to help so many when they are so few and people are dying because there is no help, I feel their terror and frustration. :'(

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 06:42:19 pm »
I agree with you Blair 200%..When the Coke girl told me she was slumming in Houston w/refugees I was so mad I could of decked her. Then when I came home the TV was on and a policeman was begging for help that he has been without water. Also it was said that a person was dying on the bridge by the convention center and the soldiers shrugged their shoulders. That is CRAZY. There is no excuse for this. Being a veteran of the US Army I am very ashamed of the rescue effort. I was on my way down to MS and was told by family not to come because it was unsafe for anyone to come by themselves. It is being said that the mayor of New Orleans put tourist and people from outside the US in the front of the line for evacuation instead of elderly and babies.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 06:49:10 pm »
Did you hear about the poor nurse in the dome in New Orleans that was trying to help all of the people? She was exhausted and was begging for help. She was so overwhelmed and you could see the dispair in her eyes. While they were interviewing her a lady went into a diabetic seizure because she was without insulin for 3 days. This is sad. :'( And I look for it to get worst before it gets better. The coke girl also stated that her family in Houston were upset because most of the people they were getting were homeless and she said"that's all Houston needs is more homeless people". I feel so sad and to be honest d*mn MAD.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 06:59:48 pm »
Yes I saw her but I thought she was at the convention center and that was when my husband cuaght me bawling. I know what I feel like when we can't help someone even with all the resources that I have at my disposal every day, so I can't even imagine what it's like w/ nothing! I wish I had a way to get there and help but I guess that making a donation is the best I can do right now!!

Offline DESIGRAM

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 07:01:18 pm »
I'd like to know where are all the other countries  that we are right there helping. I have not heard of any of them offering help.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 07:13:15 pm »
As somebody in the thick of all this, let me put my 2 cents in.

Yes, things are as bad as they seem in New Orleans. They do not have the help they need. Rescue workers are getting shot at. The shelters are grossly understaffed and there is no way to get these people urgent medical care.

However, these people ARE refugees. There really is no other word for them. They have lost everything but the clothes on their back and what they could carry. They embrace that term themselves.

Finally, please remember that the news agencies only report the bad news. There are countless outpourings of generosity occurring at the same time. People from my town, Houma have gathered so much food, clothing, blankets for the refugees they are starting to tell us not to send anymore. Restaurants and businesses have been cooking and taking food into Jefferson parish to feed the stranded citizens at the Superdome and along the way.  Individuals are sharing prescriptions for strangers because they can't get to the drug store to get needed medication, scrounging items out of their attics to donate, sharing their homes with strangers from New Orleans so families don't have to live in makeshift shelters. Every day we hear new stories of hope and recovery down here. I wish these stories were getting spread nationwide to counterbalance the negative reports.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 07:18:34 pm »
Actually there were several countries on the news yesterday that offered help. Spain, Russia, Isreal and believe it or not, Saudi Arabia.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 07:44:05 pm »
I heard that, too. They even agreed to open their special reserves of oil to keep our gas prices down.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 08:15:26 pm »
I understand that there are good things happening as well as the bad. However there is something wrong with seeing people stranded on a bridge and not being able to walk to a safer place. This was reported on the news tonight. I associate the word refugee with imigrants. Evacuee may be a better term. My cousin who lives in Jackson Ms told me yesterday that 5 bus loads of people were brought up from New Orleans and just dumped out. He stated no one knew they were coming and when they reached their destination they were told that this is as far as we go and they must fend for themselves. The local churches began setting up shelters and people opened their homes. This I say is unorganization . Again I understand that a lot of caring and good is happening but I fell that the goverment could have responded better.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 09:34:55 pm »
Actually there were several countries on the news yesterday that offered help. Spain, Russia, Isreal and believe it or not, Saudi Arabia.
Canada is sending people to help...With saying that I will keep my opinions to myself, shed many tears for the victims of Katrina, keep praying within every inch of my being, & do what I can to help which is not nearly enough...Helpl ess is not a place I am often familiar with & it is a lonely, sad place to be....God bless & keep us all.

Blair

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 11:07:34 pm »
Yes a lot of good is there, a lot of caring people helping. People all across the USA are helping these poor people. But the thing is we are helping them before the Government is helping them. I perosnally think the GOV should of been the first ones to help them. In my area you cant turn a corner without seeing people trying to raise money for the people who need it. All over the local news you see people helping. Our own TV news crew drove to New Orleans to send supplies. The Military base in Ingleside still hasnt been sent out to help, they arent leaving till tomorrow. Why did it take so long for them to be sent over to help, look how close they are ??? And I agree, its going to get worst before its any better.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 11:12:17 pm »
Yes a lot of good is there, a lot of caring people helping. People all across the USA are helping these poor people. But the thing is we are helping them before the Government is helping them. I perosnally think the GOV should of been the first ones to help them. In my area you cant turn a corner without seeing people trying to raise money for the people who need it. All over the local news you see people helping.
That's why this country is great because of "WE the people"...I think sometimes we forget that.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 01:30:33 am »
It is absolutely awful...I can't believe the devestation!!!  I am angry about the lack of help.  I think now things are starting but they knew the storm was headed to Orleans...The government should have been on alert and ready.  For years they have known that New Orleans could become a huge disaster due to the levy etc.  I think the rescue efforts could have been started sooner.

As for other countries helping.  I have heard reported that several countries have offered to help.  And I did here tonight that we turned downed Castro's help and Russian help...